Bat Shield accurate full size pattern

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
rsaffle

Bat Shield accurate full size pattern

Post by rsaffle »

I made an accurate full-size pattern from the original prop photos available from Heritage auctions. Accurate down to the hinge joint placements. LOL
Note the hinge hole placements are exact to the prop and appear to be hand drilled and not exact to commercially pre-drilled 2" spaced hinges.
Also, the handle holes are exact, and you can see they are not evenly placed. I plan on making this one day and plan on buying hinges with no pre-drilled holes so I can make mine as accurate as possible. The auction notes called this 41" tall but I think that note included the custom stand. My tracing came out to 37 3/4" tall x 32" wide. The hinges are 1 1/2" wide and the right-side hinge is a little smaller in length than the left side.

Auction notes....
Batman & Robin emblematic folding, transparent acrylic shield in a distinctive bat shape with hand-painted blue and yellow stripes around its perimeter. 'Bat Shield' is largely applied across center in hand-cut blue letters, the shield folds into quarters and is joined with piano hinges, and two grey nylon carrying straps are mounted verso on the upper quarters. According to the show's mythology, the shield is 'bullet-proof' and as such is used by the heroes to defend themselves from various villainous characters in Seasons 1 and 2. During the production of the series, the distinctive hand-made letters were re-positioned (currently 'BAT S' appears to the left of the vertical split and 'HIELD' to the right), and therefore two slightly different positions of the words appear during these seasons, as episodes were not shot in order, on this same Bat Shield. This Bat Shield was used on both seasons, including Season 1 episodes, "The Joker Goes to School' and "The Joker Trumps an Ace', and the Season 2 episode 'The Penguin's Nest" This is believed to have been the only one made, making it perhaps the most desirable Bat-prop in all of Gotham City!

It measures 41 in. tall x 32 in. wide x ½ in. deep. Exhibits some scuffs and scratches, light wear to the seams and hardware, but remains in Very Good condition. Accompanied by a custom-made metal stand fashioned in the shape of the shield.

PDF and EPS files available here...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yp9ix9xls80e0 ... n.pdf?dl=0
Attachments
Bat Shield full size pattern.jpg
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
Ben Bentley

Re: Bat Shield accurate full size pattern

Post by Ben Bentley »

Great job recreating this design, Randy! Looking forward to see you bring this to life. Those auction photos of the Comisar Shield were very nicely done and hosted at a great resolution. I’m sure that made life way easier than a lot of the screen captures that you’re zooming in on for a lot of your prop research.
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Thank you! Appreciate the effort for Batfans!
mwilbury

Post by mwilbury »

That's great. Thanks for sharing!
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Thank You for Your work! Now I can build one.

Cheers!
Larry
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Thanks guys. Have fun.

Question...does the backside show both the yellow and blue stripes? I would think so but want to confirm.
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

Yes both sides, seen in 2nd part of "Joker Goes To School"
Attachments
JG2School.jpg
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

A. Pennyworth wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:17 am Yes both sides, seen in 2nd part of "Joker Goes To School"
Thank you, A. Pennyworth.
Hope all is well sir!