When you don't have a batpole

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Bill S.C.

When you don't have a batpole

Post by Bill S.C. »

Howdy Batfolks,

As we all know, when Bruce & Dick wanted to change into their "work" clothes, they usually slid down the batpoles and through the magic of TV editing, would be instantly costumed and ready for action.

I've always been a bit curious about those who have their own Batman, Robin, Batgirl and the various villains costumes; exactly how long does it take to put on these various costumes and what is your best time in doing so.

Also, do you have any interesting stories about either putting on or being in your costumes that you'd like to share with the board.

Thank you for your time.
"Oh soon we'll be out amid the cold world's strife. Soon we'll be sliding down the razor blade of life." - Tom Lehrer
rickrickrick

Re: When you don't have a batpole

Post by rickrickrick »

I would say that from absolute start (beginning with my contacts) to absolute finish (slipping on my gloves), it takes me 25 minutes to suit up in my Batman costume. This is completely by myself, most usually in an awkward place like a mens room. The hardest part for me is doing the cape snaps on the back. Batman is quick, because there's no makeup or wig to worry about. If I had someone helping me, I'd probably be ready in 10 or 15 minutes.

I haven't been doing this long, so I have no amusing anecdotes. But I will say that even at NY's unbelievably crowded Comicon, with hardcore costumers everywhere you look, 1966 Batman gets a an amazing response!

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Without help, on the average I can be suited up in 10 to 15 minutes if in a men's room type setting. Many times it goes much faster if I have decent space. 7 minutes and under in a hotel room but that's because I'm not worried about packing my street clothes in the garment bag that my costume came in and likewise, my suit is already out in a more convenient fashion than hanging on a stall door.

Cape snap tip if you're doing them yourself: Fasten the back fold over snaps before putting on the cape. or another method is to fasten the front latch, swing one of the sides more towards the front but not too far like a full bib. Fasten one of the fold overs then swing it back over the to get the other fold over, then swing that back to where the cape is now centered on your neck again. Then once you think the cape is setting good, snap one top shoulder and then the other. reach back and get the snap for the cape to the back of the cowl. By then, if you're limber enough you can get the lower back ones or simply leave them until you see someone who can get those for you. I often appear with Robin, Batgirl or Catwoman so there's usually someone who can catch those if I'm in a rush.

And best running order for getting ready is:

1) Tights
2) Tunic
3) Trunks
4) Boots
5) Utility belt
6) Cowl
7) Cape
8) Gloves

I don't know if I have any really fun "getting ready" anecdotes, but for some of my fun times in the costume, you can check out my blog. http://www.scottsebring.com
BatBob

Post by BatBob »

Yeah, as Scott recommended, snapping the back of the cape prior to putting it on works great!
It takes me in the area of 15 minutes. I had to change in and around my car a few times. LOL!. I sometimes wear the tights under my clothes so I won't get arrested. lol
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

BatBob wrote:I sometimes wear the tights under my clothes so I won't get arrested. lol
You got that right!