GH serial coming to Blu-ray?

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

SprangFan

GH serial coming to Blu-ray?

Post by SprangFan »

Thread title pretty much covers it. Apparently the original Green Hornet movie serial will be released on Blu-ray in April. Pretty sure I've never seen this one, though I'm a serial fan in general.

https://spyvibe.blogspot.com/2023/01/bl ... ornet.html
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
AndyFish

Re: GH serial coming to Blu-ray?

Post by AndyFish »

The VCI dvd releases of both serials are A quality so I'm not sure how much better a Blu ray of this material is going to be. Personally I prefer the second serial with Warren Hull over the first release with Gordon Jones, but that's mostly because they dubbed Jones with the Radio Hornet's voice (Al Hodge?) which I found distracting. But both serials are worthwhile and solid entries from Universal.

Commentary and extra features include my ol' buddy Cliff Weimer and he's extremely entertaining.

Remember kids, with serials, they were not designed to be binge watched, so use some will power and stick to no more than one episode a day-- and if you want the real experience one a week. Currently TCM is showing THE BATMAN on Saturday mornings. If you've never watched a serial try this method.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Good news! The GH serials were a cut above most costumed hero serials, but I do have concerns about the sources used for this Blu-ray, and if any of the original film elements survived / were used for this transfer.
Beneath Wayne Manor
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

The second one (which is not announced yet) was sourced from 35mm to Dvd. the first one looked like it came from a sharp 16mm print.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Martin Grams is involved in this release and he certainly knows his onions as far The Green Hornet is concerned.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Argh, I feel cheated..... On the other-hand this Green Hornet is pretty cool for his time. Sort of a mild mannered Shadow.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

AndyFish wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:55 pm The second one (which is not announced yet) was sourced from 35mm to Dvd. the first one looked like it came from a sharp 16mm print.
Ah. Thanks for the information. It will be interesting to see how 16mm fares on Blu-Ray.
Beneath Wayne Manor
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I second Ben's sentiment on Martin being an expert-- and ironically I just got an unrelated package from him yesterday!