Corpse of the year and Dan Scully.

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

v194

Corpse of the year and Dan Scully.

Post by v194 »

In the Corpse of the Year episode there was an impostor Green Hornet and Black Beauty. The impostor was played by Tom Simcox. A friend of this forum knows Tom and asked him to send me an autographed photo. He sent several, here is one that poignantly reads, "Glad I got to work with two Black Beauties." Well it looks like Tom did work with both Black Beauties.

Owner of an Original TV used Black Beauty
Learn the history of the 2 cars at:
http://www.theblackbeauty.com
Progress Pigment

Re: Corpse of the year and Dan Scully.

Post by Progress Pigment »

That's fantastic! Simcox was a good actor & interesting fellow. He might've made a fabulous Green Hornet himself. He looked great in the mask. :)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0799410/bio

Tom Simcox studied meditation alongside The Beatles at Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's ashram in India. There's a reference to it in the book, "Revolver: The Secret History of the Beatles", by Geoffrey Giuliano. John Lennon is speaking, referring to the ashram, "And there's a cowboy there called Tom (Simcox) who plays cowboys on TV and, my, did the Beatles wives go for him in a big way".

Tom Simcox was the owner of the River Bottom Bar, directly across the street from Warner Brothers Studios in Burbank. Because of its proximity, The River Bottom was a favorite watering hole for actors and studio crew alike and was the scene of many brawls that often included the stars of Warner's many Westerns. Source: Warren Oates: A Wild Life, by Susan A. Compo (book).

Veteran biker and tough guy actor William Smith credits Tom Simcox with saving his life during the filming of Piranha (1972). On location in the Venezuelan jungle near the Amazon, Smith accidentally sliced open his left forearm while trying to open a can of Vienna sausages with a knife. Simcox applied constant pressure to Smith's arm during the long boat ride back to a doctor in Caracas. Source: William Smith Fan Site, www.williamsmith.org.

"That Yankee Cowboy" is how Beatle John Lennon referred to actor Tom Simcox after both spent time at Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's ashram in India. In her book, "John", Cynthia Lennon, the Beatle's first wife, reveals that John secretly suspected her of having an affair with Simcox while at the retreat. Of Tom, she writes, "The Yankee Cowboy was an American actor called Tom Simcox, whom we'd met at the Maharishi's center. I'd got on well with him, but the idea that we'd had an affair was preposterous. Tom had never even hinted at anything untoward between us, apart from once asking me, very sweetly, if I had a twin sister". Source: John (book), by Cynthia Lennon.
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Nice Picture.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

v194 wrote:In the Corpse of the Year episode there was an impostor Green Hornet and Black Beauty. The impostor was played by Tom Simcox. A friend of this forum knows Tom and asked him to send me an autographed photo. He sent several, here is one that poignantly reads, "Glad I got to work with two Black Beauties." Well it looks like Tom did work with both Black Beauties.

Thanks for posting that pic! That is such an unexpected shot (meaning, not the typical BB beauty shot).
Beneath Wayne Manor
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Progress Pigment wrote:That's fantastic! Simcox was a good actor & interesting fellow. He might've made a fabulous Green Hornet himself. He looked great in the mask. :)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0799410/bio

Tom Simcox studied meditation alongside The Beatles at Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's ashram in India. There's a reference to it in the book, "Revolver: The Secret History of the Beatles", by Geoffrey Giuliano. John Lennon is speaking, referring to the ashram, "And there's a cowboy there called Tom (Simcox) who plays cowboys on TV and, my, did the Beatles wives go for him in a big way".

Tom Simcox was the owner of the River Bottom Bar, directly across the street from Warner Brothers Studios in Burbank. Because of its proximity, The River Bottom was a favorite watering hole for actors and studio crew alike and was the scene of many brawls that often included the stars of Warner's many Westerns. Source: Warren Oates: A Wild Life, by Susan A. Compo (book).

Veteran biker and tough guy actor William Smith credits Tom Simcox with saving his life during the filming of Piranha (1972). On location in the Venezuelan jungle near the Amazon, Smith accidentally sliced open his left forearm while trying to open a can of Vienna sausages with a knife. Simcox applied constant pressure to Smith's arm during the long boat ride back to a doctor in Caracas. Source: William Smith Fan Site, http://www.williamsmith.org.

"That Yankee Cowboy" is how Beatle John Lennon referred to actor Tom Simcox after both spent time at Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's ashram in India. In her book, "John", Cynthia Lennon, the Beatle's first wife, reveals that John secretly suspected her of having an affair with Simcox while at the retreat. Of Tom, she writes, "The Yankee Cowboy was an American actor called Tom Simcox, whom we'd met at the Maharishi's center. I'd got on well with him, but the idea that we'd had an affair was preposterous. Tom had never even hinted at anything untoward between us, apart from once asking me, very sweetly, if I had a twin sister". Source: John (book), by Cynthia Lennon.
Fascinating history!

So, "that yankee cowboy" captured the ladies' attention away from the Beatles....I find that really funny, since the worn myth is that the Beatles were the most desired guys in that period.
Beneath Wayne Manor