The Green Hornet - Crime Drama

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

greenhornet66

The Green Hornet - Crime Drama

Post by greenhornet66 »

I think if someone outthere had any real imagination with having the Green Hornet in a 1 hr crime drama show today, it would be successful. With all the misc. crime shows on network tv today, i would think the Green Hornet would get a fresh new audiance and a new well deserved respect that is highly looked over.
Todd Grimes

Re: The Green Hornet - Crime Drama

Post by Todd Grimes »

I agree wholeheartedly.
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Me too.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Contact Dynamite. But be aware they allowed the Rogan movie.

John
Music. BAT! Music.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

greenhornet66 wrote:I think if someone outthere had any real imagination with having the Green Hornet in a 1 hr crime drama show today, it would be successful. With all the misc. crime shows on network tv today, i would think the Green Hornet would get a fresh new audiance and a new well deserved respect that is highly looked over.
I think a limited series could work, but you need more time for the public to forget Rogen's abomination, so you're starting with a clean slate.

The one thing any new GH production cannot do, is focus on Kato; Lee's post-GH fame negatively influences the concept to the point where any new ideas focus on an actor, rather than the concept. Like the radio dramas, serials and comics, GH has to be about GH first--not having audience clock watching for the next Lee-like fight set piece.

Any brave producer needs to understand that there was a very successful GH before Lee's version of Kato. In fact, the GH was more successful as a radio/serial/comic book property than the TV series, so no producer should feel compelled to only source the TV series.
Beneath Wayne Manor
greenhornet66

Post by greenhornet66 »

I agree, any new tv series about the Green Hornet should be about the main character, not his co-star. The tv series in 1966 fed off the popular show of Batman. Bruce Lee was still an un-known actor during his GH contract. Bruce didnt become a start until after the tv series was over. If you look back at the movie serials in 1939-40, Kato had little to no involvement in martial arts. He drove the car, and helped during the episode and after the bad guys were caught.
Golddragon71

Post by Golddragon71 »

Better than the old serials, listen to the old radio shows (there's hundreds of 'em available through various sites (ITunes has a fantastic collection in their audiobooks section)
Kato is treated very much as an equal to Britt in Many ways much as Tonto was to the Lone Ranger (they were created by the same man) also Britt Reid is anything but a Buffoon. In fact that was the most insulting part of that Seth Rogen fiasco. (sadly that movie has stung the hornet in such a way that it might take another 20 years before we get a decent treatment outside of comics.
"Someone might be able to substitute for Batman, for a very short time, but no one could ever replace him!"