Van Williams in Chicago

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Bat Tom

Van Williams in Chicago

Post by Bat Tom »

Van is still confirmed for the Hollywood Chicago this weekend, who else is planning on going to see him?
svl

Re: Van Williams in Chicago

Post by svl »

I'll be there. Super excited!
Troy

Post by Troy »

Does anyone know what he charges? A friend of mine is going and I want to send enough money with him.
svl

Post by svl »

The site says $30 for an autograph.
ELVIS

Post by ELVIS »

I'll be there!
Bat Tom

Post by Bat Tom »

I always hoped Van would do some more shows and I don't know if he will be around again so I want to make sure to see him this time.
Bat Tom

Post by Bat Tom »

I went and saw Van Williams yesterday. He was charging $25 for an autograph. If you wanted to take a picture with your own camera it was $10 extra. Van was a great guy and in good spirits. He did say that he was pretty busy during the day. I opted for a picture and had my picture taken with him too.

Van did say that he just started doing shows again after a 15 year plus absence from the circuit. He chuckled when I told him that I met him over 20 years ago at a show with Adam West. Van said that there were a lot of fans in the 60's who are now my age who come out to these shows. I think he is really surprised at the number of people who want to see him. I did ask him about any DVD release of the show and he thinks it will not happen. However, he did say that Rhino had the rights several years ago to release the series. They had a one year window to do it and did not for whatever reason.
svl

Post by svl »

Wish I would have known you were there, Bat Tom. I was also there, did the early bird and saw him first thing. Got my mask and gas gun signed, and also bought a pic from him. When I handed him the mask he said it was fantastic, and that it looked like it would fit him perfectly- next thing I know he puts the mask ON! Says it fits better than the ones in the show! I just about died- not only did I get him to sign it, he actually wore it for a couple minutes! Mojo infused by the man himself! Just a GREAT guy, unbelievably so.

Also bought the pro photo op with him, I believe I was the only one to do so. Turned out great, even though I had to stay there the whole day to get it done (the shows organizers were horribly UN-organized when it came to photo ops). That was alright though as I ran into forum pal Matt there with his Bat/LIS computer, and my son got auto's from Julie Adams (star of his his fave monster flick, Creature From The Black Lagoon). After they printed up my photo op pic I went back to Van and got him to sign it as well.

The show itself was really small with a pretty weak vendor showing. Lots of great guests, but the crowd was uber thin and most celebs were neglected. Van had a pretty steady line, as did Martin Landau and some of the LIS crew (in particular June Lockhart), but greats like Robert Loggia, James Hampton and Lainie Kazan sat looking dejected. Pam Grier, Barbara Feldon, Loni Anderson and Bernie Koppel (complete in his Doc outfit from the show) were busy, but not overly so. At least one celeb (minor, though still awesome), Judy Tenuta, disappeared before 2pm, most likely due to just sitting there the whole morning with no attention (the show was so sparse and small, my son and I walked the two little rooms dozens of times waiting for our photo op time, and passed her over and over, as we did the rest of the tables). This was a great show for the "over zealous" fan who likes to chat the celebs to death, because they were mostly a captive audience with no lines to move the proceedings along. Though I did talk to Van quite a bit over the course of the day, I tried to curb my own "over zealous" leanings towards the man. But it was tough, brothers and sisters, because he was sooooooo awesome to talk to! :)

I can't even imagine how small the crowd will be today, on a Sunday....
Bat Tom

Post by Bat Tom »

Svl , too bad I missed you. Van was only staying until 2:00 on Sunday that was determined before the show started though. I do agree quite a few celebs were not getting many visitors. You are right that the vendors were thin too. I am just glad to see that Van is healthy and doing shows again.
ELVIS

Post by ELVIS »

svl wrote: Got my mask and gas gun signed, and also bought a pic from him. When I handed him the mask he said it was fantastic, and that it looked like it would fit him perfectly- next thing I know he puts the mask ON! Says it fits better than the ones in the show!
I think I saw you! Just a little after 10 I saw someone in line getting a Mask and Gas gun signed, and Van did try it on!

I had him sign a mask, which he also tried on! He said it was good, but too big. ( I got it for myself to wear! Don't think I will do so now that it is signed!)

I agree with the other comments about the show. The crowd seemed about the same size it always is for this show. June Lockhart, Van, and Martin Landau were the bigger draws!

Brian
svl

Post by svl »

That was me, Brian. Bald cat with a long haired son. :) We did the "early bird" thing and went up to him as soon as he sat down.

You should have said hi!
Bat Tom

Post by Bat Tom »

When I asked Van about a DVD release of the series he did mention the Rhino deal that never happened and added that he thinks we will never see a release. He added that the only way to see the series he believes will be through syndication or if you were fortunate enough to have recorded it for your own use.
Roy Batty

Post by Roy Batty »

I was at the show and had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Williams. While I was there someone presented him with a photo of the old house boat he worked out of in his series *Surfside 6* and he reminisced about that. A very nice fellow.

Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Great pic Roy! It's great to read everybody's encounter with Van as well.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Didn't make it to the show, but a friend of mine went and got Van to sign my Bat Book!!!

His signature makes 26! Woo Hoo!

-Troy