1/6 Green Hornet Re Boot!

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Wayne Faucher

1/6 Green Hornet Re Boot!

Post by Wayne Faucher »

I've had my Green Hornet figure for ages. Theres's something of a backstory to the head I used, however. When I did the figure 4 years ago I'd been inspired by a figure I'd seen by artist Todd Grimes, a long standing member here. He had produced a Van Williams head using a 3D printer which was just unbelievable. I corresponded with him a few times but just could not shake one loose from him. I ended up having Inner Circle Toys make me a head which was great... but it just didn't have that "Van" look.

So, I'm cruising around Ebay recently and what to my wondering eyes should appear? Todd is selling a couple of his Van Williams figures! I contacted him and finally was able to score a Van head. I made a Britt Reid figure, then decided to cast another head and rework my Green Hornet figure. Here are the results. I did the mask and hat myself, as well as the painting. I'm sure many of you have seen my original version, but I was so happy with the upgrade I thought I'd share!

Kato is an Enterbay figure sporting a resin recast head (which I also painted). I have the original head, but the "skin" is rubber and would rot in my attic studio in no time!

Lou Szabo

Re: 1/6 Green Hornet Re Boot!

Post by Lou Szabo »

Love to see some pictures when you get there.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Wayne Faucher

Post by Wayne Faucher »

Well, I posted a bunch of pics. Are they not showing up?

Lemme' change the links. Is that better?
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

I would love to get the Van Williams head sculpt. I like how your figures present, but are you using one of the Playing Mantis Green Hornet suits? The one from the 1999 figure--or the costume modification set?
Beneath Wayne Manor
Wayne Faucher

Post by Wayne Faucher »

Thanks! That is a custom outfit (coat, shirt pants) made by Inner Circle Toys to my specs. I provided the coat fabric myself. It seemed to be a very close color match to the screen version.... I later made some further modifications to the coat as well.
Todd Grimes

Post by Todd Grimes »

Amazing work Wayne! Thanks so much for sharing, and for the kind words. I would have to say that you've made the best Green Hornet figure I've seen to date - and that has little to do with my head sculpt . . . it's all in your great skilled craftsmanship!

I also love that custom Hornet Sting! Great stuff!!
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

That is some rather stunning work!
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

I agree.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

WEFINKS wrote:Well, I posted a bunch of pics. Are they not showing up?

Lemme' change the links. Is that better?
Yes, they look great. Brit's eyes are excellent! Looks like a young version of him. Well done!
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Wayne Faucher

Post by Wayne Faucher »

Well, thanks again all!

I'm ok with the paint, though by no means an expert. Take my word for it; I've painted sculpts where the likeness just wasn't there. It ends up looking like a guy in a costume at a convention. Everything can be spot on but if the face underneath is wrong, then it's not working. This sculpt works and that goes back to Todd.....

As far as the eyes go; Van has very light eyes. They are quite striking, which is why they're so easy to recreate. They're probably grayer than what I've got here, though. Subtlety is much harder to capture....
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

WEFINKS wrote:Thanks! That is a custom outfit (coat, shirt pants) made by Inner Circle Toys to my specs. I provided the coat fabric myself. It seemed to be a very close color match to the screen version.... I later made some further modifications to the coat as well.
You said you made the mask--did you use any of the Captain Action mask as a base?
Beneath Wayne Manor
Wayne Faucher

Post by Wayne Faucher »

Actually, no (thought about it though).

I knew I could better shape the mask from scratch, rather than try to adapt the CA mask. What I ended up doing was pretty simple. I took Sculpey and flattened it out with a roller on Saran Wrap until it was really thin. Next, I trimmed the Sculpey/Saran Wrap to a relative "mask" size and applied it onto the head, Sculpey side down. Then with a Q-Tip I gently pressed it to shape with the face. When it looked pretty good, I peeled the Saran Wrap away, leaving only the thin layer of Sculpey. With an Xacto I trimmed the Sculpey mask to shape, including the eye holes. I baked the head and painted it up!

I had tried several times to do this without the Saran Wrap, but the thinner the Sculpey got, the easier it tore. I needed something to prevent that, so I tried the Saran Wrap. Worked like a dream!

Now, the mask is NOT removable. That's why I needed to do a Britt figure as well. Of course, these days, none of the high end figures have removable masks (the Hot Toys 1966 Batman, for instance). It makes for a much more realistic look. As soon as you get into removable masks/hats you run into massive scale problems....

Oh, the "Hornet" logo on the mask is just a print out on glossy paper. Cut it out and glued it on!
hobbybuilder01

Post by hobbybuilder01 »

Although nowhere near as stunning as yours, thought this might be helpful as i replaced the hat brim with a thin shirtboard one. giving a much thinner profile to that area. Great work!!!
Wayne Faucher

Post by Wayne Faucher »

hobbybuilder01 wrote:Although nowhere near as stunning as yours, thought this might be helpful as i replaced the hat brim with a thin shirtboard one. giving a much thinner profile to that area. Great work!!!
I like that idea! Do you have any pics? Even just the hat would be fine.
hobbybuilder01

Post by hobbybuilder01 »

Can't here but IM your FB I should be able to send it there