Green Hornet comes to DVD too!

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

John Mack

Green Hornet comes to DVD too!

Post by John Mack »

Or does it? I'm sure most of you read the thread in the Batmerchandise section about the legal troubles that existed with Batman. If you haven't, you really need to. I'll bet some of it is what's keeping the GH from seeing a release. So. Who's going to buy out the Doziers and then deal with Bruce Lee's estate? I think $155,000,000 should be a good start. Don't you?

John
Music. BAT! Music.
Todd Grimes

Re: Green Hornet comes to DVD too!

Post by Todd Grimes »

The subject line of this thread is downright mean! ;) Holy hopes up for a second there! Heheh
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Sorry, but now that the Bat is out of the bag, or should I say in the box, I'd like to know what the deal is with GH.

John
Music. BAT! Music.
Todd Grimes

Post by Todd Grimes »

Fingers . . . . CROSSED!!
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

An awful lot of unique circumstances both legal and otherwise lead to the eventual release of the Batman TV show, one of the latter but never-the-less key circumstances being the 75th anniversary of the characters first appearance and it's continued popularity despite being "between" cinematic incarnations.

Keeping in mind the semi-recent car crash of a feature film reboot and its failings at the box office. The Green Hornet does not feel like a thriving franchise or brand to capitalize upon from a studio point of view. Combine it with the relevant legal complications and as much as it pains me to say it as a fan, I totally appreciate why no one has gone out of their way to make a home video release happen.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

It's tough to put the same resources and money into a character that is not as well regarded as Batman, even if it is a good show.

Or what Ben said.
STP Swallowthispill

Post by STP Swallowthispill »

The Green Hornet film was a big let down for me.
They took a great TV series and made a joke out of it!
And that is why it flopped at the box office.

Charles
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Understood and appreciated Ben and Andy.

John
Music. BAT! Music.
Wayne Faucher

Post by Wayne Faucher »

A strong character can be interpreted in a million different ways. That's what makes Batman so brilliant. I've inked Batman by a hundred different pencilers and they were all different, but valid.

Green Hornet is the same and the movie version was just another interpretation. Was it my cup of tea? Hardly. I wasn't bothered by the film, except for the damage it did to the franchise. I did love seeing that Imperial on the screen, even if it was waaay over armed. Though, I do agree, if the money isn't there to be made, you won't be seeing GH on DVD any time soon.....
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Todd Grimes wrote:The subject line of this thread is downright mean! ;) Holy hopes up for a second there! Heheh
Yeah--I almost backflipped out of a window with bursting joy at the OP title!

Holy comedown from too-good-to-be-true dreams!
Beneath Wayne Manor
Doctor Shatterhand

Post by Doctor Shatterhand »

The Green Hornet series has been remastered. Episodes were on SyFy in 2010 and the quality was near mint. I'm sure the release will happen and probably soon since the Batman series is going to make a lot of money for Warner Bros.
BATWINGED HORNET

Doctor Shatterhand wrote:The Green Hornet series has been remastered. Episodes were on SyFy in 2010 and the quality was near mint. I'm sure the release will happen and probably soon since the Batman series is going to make a lot of money for Warner Bros.
What sources revealed the series was remastered? I saw the Sci-Fi channel versions, along with that which recently aired on ME-TV, and both are standard quality for a seldom seen series, but even on a HD screen, there are too many deficits for me to think it was remastered from camera negatives.
Beneath Wayne Manor
monitor_earthprime

Post by monitor_earthprime »

I managed to get the complete series when they showed in on encore-action channel uncut so I am happy with that.

If they do release this on dvd the need to include the extra footage located on my site:

Green Hornet 66
Visit my wiki site:
Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:
Monitor_EP Custom figures site
hornet112

Post by hornet112 »

For people that already seen the Blu Ray version of the Batman series and, watched the Green Hornet show! how big is the gap between these 2.
BATWINGED HORNET

monitor_earthprime wrote:I managed to get the complete series when they showed in on encore-action channel uncut so I am happy with that.

If they do release this on dvd the need to include the extra footage located on my site:

Green Hornet 66
Sourcing the test footage (inc. screen tests) is just the start. One would need to find out if current owners of TGH property also has rights to it. Then, there's the rest--such as the Berle show, and things you did not mention, such as GH-TV tie-in product commercials, etc., which belong to other rights holders.

Frankly, I would be happy with a remastered Blu Ray, even if extras are thin--or non-existent.
Beneath Wayne Manor