Rarest Green Hornet toy from 1966/67?

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

John Mack

Rarest Green Hornet toy from 1966/67?

Post by John Mack »

Does anyone know the rarest GH toy made from 1966/67? I believe I read it here once and it was something made by Ideal?

Thanks!

John
Music. BAT! Music.
Lou Szabo

Re: Rarest Green Hornet toy from 1966/67?

Post by Lou Szabo »

I think the most expensive over time was the Captain Action Green Hornet outfit by ideal. Beyond that, I only recall a golden book and some coloring books. There may have been a squirt gun and Soakie. The only model I recall was the 1/32 Aurora Black Beauty.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Todd Grimes

Post by Todd Grimes »

It may be hard to pinpoint THE most rare GH collectible as there were so many done in 1966. The Captain Action outfit is definitely among the more rare pieces. Board game, puzzles, flicker rings, puppets, colorforms, coloring books, comics - there is a ton of merchandise of that era. If I had to hazard a guess I's say that the child size Ben Cooper GH Halloween costume form 1966 may be even more rare than the Captain Action costume (?)

If you want to see a great array of GH toys and merchandise, check out this Facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1456141974665443/

Pictures here are amazing!
1966.batmobile

Post by 1966.batmobile »

Wish I Could see it- I don't do Facebook..
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Hi everyone. Well, while the items you all mentioned are rare, or hard to find today, I remember someone posting something that was ULTRA rare, nothing like the costume or Captain Action suit. In 1966 those weren't really rare. The thing I'm speaking of is like rare for even 1966--not many made. I'll keep looking and see what I can dig up. I think it was made by Ideal, that much I can remember.

John
Music. BAT! Music.
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

This toy set from Ideal?
Todd Grimes

Post by Todd Grimes »

Rare indeed! I would so love to find one!!
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

BINGO!!1 Thank you AP!! You have served to be an undying resource of information over the years!

So, see guys..I didn't lose my mind! How about this?? To those who have never seen this, this must be a real treat??

John
Music. BAT! Music.
sixtiestoyguy

Post by sixtiestoyguy »

Although that equipment set is decidedly rare, rare, rare, there is no confirmed information that it was available at retailers. Instead it is likely a prototype. For the record, I have the official Ideal Sales binder for the full 1960's up to the early 1970's, taken right from the sales desk within Ideal, and there is no mention of the Signal Set available for ordering by retailers in any year.

I would suggest that the rarest RETAIL toy is the Remco Black Beauty Dashboard. In forty years of collecting, I know of exactly ONE that has ever been offered for sale, and that was at least thirty years ago in the pages of ToyShop Magazine (yeah, that's how far back).
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

A.P., thank you posting those great images! That role play set before--I cannot image many surviving in complete condition.

Interesting that Remco used Van Wliiams in his mask on the dashboard playset, box, but the Batman box sports an illustration, despite a box reference to Batman being on TV. Was it a licensing issue with Adam and his agent?
Beneath Wayne Manor