Will Green Hornet ever come to DVD?

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

batman_fan

Will Green Hornet ever come to DVD?

Post by batman_fan »

With the long delays we've had for Batman 66 series, does anyone think we will get these sometime soon?
John Mack

Re: Will Green Hornet ever come to DVD?

Post by John Mack »

I'll do what I did with Batman and see if it works for the Green Hornet.

"NO WAY WILL THIS SERIES EVER BE RELEASED IN OUR LIFETIME! It's first release will be small chips that get implanted directly into your brain."

That's what I said about 10 years for Batman. So, in 2025 we should see the release ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

John
Music. BAT! Music.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Its getting to the point where some fans do not care anymore. There are a certain few properties that suffer from too many legal issues, market misconceptions, shenanigans, etc. to release properties that could have been released long ago.

Whether they know it or not, there are certain old TV series and movies which do not have that long-standing strength in the popular culture (like the original Star Trek). No one can count on some undying, loyal pack of fans to be there to buy the series if the wait outweighs the worth of the content. This is not knocking TGH, but acknowledging that everyone is not like a well of patience, rabid and tripping over fat, eager-to-spend wallets.
Beneath Wayne Manor
WaltP

Post by WaltP »

Another thread alluded to the problem getting TGH released. Does anyone have information on the story behing the holdup? Who's the problem this time? Any contact info available?
Wayne Faucher

Post by Wayne Faucher »

I think the problem, which will only increase as fans age out, is that there's no margin for profit in releasing it at this point. I really don't see any company pouring thousands of dollars into a product that you and me and a hundred other people are going to buy. That's just a cruel truth. Hasbro has walked away from the 1/6 GI Joe for the same reason.

If the sales are not there, and especially if there will be legal fees (and battles) involved, why would they bother? My God, Batman was a national phenomenon and we saw what it took to get that released. GH was largely ignored, even at the time it was originally aired! Unless another film is released and it proves very very popular, I don't see it happening ever. Just my opinion.....
Mr.Freeze

Post by Mr.Freeze »

Why not a deal with Netflix or something , it's better than nothing ?
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

The Batman release happened thanks to the legal wranglings of Johnny Stacks (longtime board member here JohnnyResin) with assist by Wally Wingert, Ralph and a few other notables who unlinked the tangled mess of the rights issues.

Green Hornet's current rights holder has not reached the same agreement with Greenway, and without the powerful assist of Warner Bros to market the DVDs they are in a much more difficult situation. There's been some merchandise namely mini figures and the car which were officially licensed, and that's how Batman finally loosened up-- so it's possible but I'm not sure there's even enough interest to warrant it.
NJ_Batfan

Post by NJ_Batfan »

Like all of you, I have anticipated a Green Hornet DVD release for some time and while I am not privy to industry information, I make the following observations:

1. The ownership is divided like the Batman series: the character is owned by Green Hornet Inc. and Fox owns the series. We do not know if the Dozier estate has any stake, as it did for Batman,but we do know how long it took to iron out those rights.

2. The home video market for classic tv series is drying up as the model for owning shows is headed away from physical media and moving to streaming. Many series have stalled before all seasons were released, leaving collectors with only partial runs of series to own.

3. The commercial failure of the last movie damaged the franchise and it will take some time before anyone wants to take a chance on it. Timing a home video release with the movie would have been the path to take, but that ship has sailed.

As Wayne points out, overcoming these obstacles for a release that does not have a perceived high profit margin makes the property less attractive to pursue. However, I never thought the obstacles for Batman would ever be resolved and now we have an embarrassment of collectible riches, so maybe someday...
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

NJ is completely right-- it doesn't matter that us old guys don't like it-- STREAMING is the future.
BATWINGED HORNET

NJ_Batfan wrote:Like all of you, I have anticipated a Green Hornet DVD release for some time and while I am not privy to industry information, I make the following observations:

1. The ownership is divided like the Batman series: the character is owned by Green Hornet Inc. and Fox owns the series. We do not know if the Dozier estate has any stake, as it did for Batman,but we do know how long it took to iron out those rights.
I imagine the only thing that would speed up any arrangements for a home video release is working the Lee angle. Personally, I do not like general entertainment media making TGH all about Lee, but he's still enough of a popular figure that all parties would try to take advantage of it before even Lee's market appeal fades (more than it has).
2. The home video market for classic tv series is drying up as the model for owning shows is headed away from physical media and moving to streaming. Many series have stalled before all seasons were released, leaving collectors with only partial runs of series to own.
True. Shout Factory has picked up titles the original distributor did not complete (ex. Jack Webb series). Still, special editions and box sets are still attractive. How often are you going to get Criterion-style features/extras via streaming?
3. The commercial failure of the last movie damaged the franchise and it will take some time before anyone wants to take a chance on it. Timing a home video release with the movie would have been the path to take, but that ship has sailed.
While the Rogen disaster hurt some of GH's image in the eyes of the (largely) uninformed, the TV series is forever a product of the late 60's / tied to Batman / Lee. With Batman finally released, that would be a greater reason to push to release it--while any Batman '66 energy is in the air.
As Wayne points out, overcoming these obstacles for a release that does not have a perceived high profit margin makes the property less attractive to pursue. However, I never thought the obstacles for Batman would ever be resolved and now we have an embarrassment of collectible riches, so maybe someday...
Agreed.
Beneath Wayne Manor
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

AndyFish wrote:NJ is completely right-- it doesn't matter that us old guys don't like it-- STREAMING is the future.
hey, I'm an old guy and cut the cord in favor of streaming with a Roku. I hardly ever use my 66 blu rays and just watch the digital Vudu copy instead. Hornet would be one and done so it wouldn't have the problems the Jack Webb shows did with not being completed by Universal. I do agree that whoever owns the rights should strike while the 66 iron is still lukewarm.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

I just recently started watching TGH on Daily Motion (sometimes with video game ads randomly inserted!) and was disappointed to find that there's no DVD available (outside of some lousy bootlegs that somehow got on Amazon). Too bad -- I'm really smitten with the show.
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
hornet112

Post by hornet112 »

The two remaining green hornet sites are so dead!! fans don't care who say so!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nobody cares to help or to exchange anything .
I live in Europe and I don't have a real good copy and I don't wanna think of getting a bad version off tv or steaming from somewhere..
So I will be waiting on a bluray version...I hope people gonna start thinking fans not money /law problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And what is Mr wong doing with his book that he wanted to publish is it gonna stay in his personal property..how can people sit on fan owned Green hornet gold!
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

The Rogan film got the character out there at least. If that didn't get the series released, it's doubtful anything other than a deep fanbase will. Batman was released because of serious fans and money! No other reason. The series was showing some "heat". If enough fans, separate from this board were putting in effort, getting it out there, the GH series might see the light of day. I liked an old TV series called 'SEARCH' with Hugh O'Brian. It's fans worked like dogs, and although it was much less well remembered than The Green Hornet ever was, it was released on DVD. These people set up a website, message groups, and a top-notch detailed Wikipedia. Fans can get it done. But a few complaining posts on a BATMAN message board isn't going to do it!
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
BATWINGED HORNET

Sometimes, I think some are just tired of trying to beg and fight. Batman was always the biggest series never to be released in every generation of home entertainment, so the effort to get the release was understandable. However, as much as I love THG, its not on that same level.

Who knows what or why the series is not of interest (or so it seems) to Fox and the owners of the characters.
Beneath Wayne Manor