TODAY it has been 50 years!

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

v194

TODAY it has been 50 years!

Post by v194 »

It was 50 years ago tonight at 7:30 p.m. that the Green Hornet first aired introducing America to a serious crime fighter. It was a magical 1966 season on ABC and it introduced us to the Black Beauty and Bruce Lee. The first show to air was "The Silent Gun." Lets raise a glass of your favorite beverage to the wonderful entertainment that Van Williams, Bruce Lee and Wende Wagner provided us with so many years ago.
Attachments
Bruce-6.jpg
Owner of an Original TV used Black Beauty
Learn the history of the 2 cars at:
http://www.theblackbeauty.com
John Mack

Re: TODAY it has been 50 years!

Post by John Mack »

Hear! Hear!!! And also to you my friend for saving one of the Black Beauties. The day I saw it in Barris' Antique Automobile Museum in Highland Park, IL. in 1977 I knew it needed TLC!

What a wonderful series. Short lived, no official release as of yet, but there's YOU. A true fan!
Music. BAT! Music.
Mr.Freeze

Post by Mr.Freeze »

Was just gonna make a thread ;)

(Sept 9th , not the 8th btw)
johndeblasi

Post by johndeblasi »

The Green Hornet is in my top two favorite shows of all time. It is very sad that it ran only one season!
What a cast!
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

So many iconic shows debuted this week in 1966 it seems, Star Trek, Time Tunnel and of course, The Green Hornet.

I'll be enjoying a couple of my favorite episodes over the weekend in celebration!
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Ben Bentley wrote:So many iconic shows debuted this week in 1966 it seems, Star Trek, Time Tunnel and of course, The Green Hornet.

I'll be enjoying a couple of my favorite episodes over the weekend in celebration!
I agree Ben - wholeheartedly! Back then I used to flip from channel to channel trying to decide which show to watch knowing that I'd be missing what was playing on whatever other channels I didn't select. Sure could have used DVR back then! Anyway, flash-forward 50 years to now and I'm still flipping channels only now JUST TRYING TO FIND SOMETHING....ANYTHING...that's really worth my time! :roll:
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Lounge lizard

Post by Lounge lizard »

That's such a great quality photo of 'Kato', 'Casey' and 'Reid'. Thanks for sharing it here v194. I'm not sure when the 50th anniversary would be in the UK. The first time I saw an episode was around 1983...
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Lounge lizard wrote:That's such a great quality photo of 'Kato', 'Casey' and 'Reid'. Thanks for sharing it here v194. I'm not sure when the 50th anniversary would be in the UK. The first time I saw an episode was around 1983...
Totally agree - that really is a great shot!
BatHornet

Post by BatHornet »

Loved it!
Attachments
rayjoecover2a.jpg
"Let's roll Kato!"
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

v194 wrote:It was 50 years ago tonight at 7:30 p.m. that the Green Hornet first aired introducing America to a serious crime fighter.
True enough. At a time when the "Superhero Boom" was just exploding on fall '66 TV--most of shaky quality, The Green Hornet was a shining light that removed the "kiddie" element.
It was a magical 1966 season on ABC and it introduced us to the Black Beauty and Bruce Lee. The first show to air was "The Silent Gun." Lets raise a glass of your favorite beverage to the wonderful entertainment that Van Williams, Bruce Lee and Wende Wagner provided us with so many years ago.
Thanks for the photo!
Beneath Wayne Manor
Mr.Freeze

Post by Mr.Freeze »

According to a 70s KFM (Kung Fu Monthly) article it was deemed too intense in '66 to air in U.K......

(the guy who came up with KFM became filthy rich , later also with computer mags.....but his fortune started with Bruce Lee)
Lounge lizard

Post by Lounge lizard »

I've seen mention that a couple of regions showed Green Hornet in the UK but no actual evidence to back it up. It might have been the kind of show Lew Grade would have gone for with his ATV station in the Midlands..?
I remember Anglia tv showing some episodes around 1984. That was the first time I'd seen it. Finally the satellite station Bravo ran it several times in the 90's. They had great prints. Really bright and crisp.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Lounge lizard wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:58 am I remember Anglia tv showing some episodes around 1984.
I would have flipped to see TGH that "early." In the U.S., it would be another decade before the FX cable channel aired TGH. Fun times watching that channel.
Beneath Wayne Manor