New Green Hornet...a serious take

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

robinboyblunderer

New Green Hornet...a serious take

Post by robinboyblunderer »

More at the link.

http://deadline.com/2016/11/the-green-h ... 201854807/

“I’ve been wanting to make this movie — and create this franchise — since I’ve wanted to make movies,” O’Connor said. “As a kid, when most of my friends were into Superman and Batman, there was only one superhero who held my interest — The Green Hornet. I always thought he was the baddest badass because he had no superpowers. The Green Hornet was a human superhero. And he didn’t wear a clown costume. And he was a criminal — in the eyes of the law — and in the eyes of the criminal world. So all this felt real to me. Imagine climbing to the top of the Himalayas, or Mount Everest, or K2 over and over again and no one ever knew? You can never tell anybody. That’s the life of Britt and Kato. What they do, they can never say. They don’t take credit for anything.”

O’Connor waited until the time was right for his shot. “For almost 20 years now I’ve been tracking the rights, watching from the sidelines as they were optioned by one studio or another,”
NJ_Batfan

Re: New Green Hornet...a serious take

Post by NJ_Batfan »

I'm pleased to be wrong with my presumption that the property would be perceived as damaged goods for some time after the last movie, though bringing a property to a studio does not guarantee a film will actually be made, as the article notes. I'll reserve judgment until a trailer is out, but if it at least gets us a bluray of the series, I'll be a happy hornet.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

I would be jumping for joy at the idea of a serious Green Hornet--erasing that ridiculous goon Rogen's version, but O'Connor seems very misguided in trying to completely alter Britt Reid's origin, all to ramp up this "badass" idea. Its "badass" enough that Britt Reid dives head first into the underworld, with all of its many life threatening situations.
Beneath Wayne Manor
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

It's possible he may roughly share your view on the characters Batwinged Hornet, and is simply doing his best to sell the concept and promote it. Who knows? A modern version could stand out from the Marvel and DC movies, etc.

cheers
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

And it wouldn't have to cost a whole bunch of money either. Deadpool did great with a smaller budget. As Scott has said so many times, it's all about script, script and I do believe, script.
Music. BAT! Music.
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

John Mack wrote: As Scott has said so many times, it's all about script, script and I do believe, script.
Yup. I was just about to say that. ;)
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

I am so tired of that overused and out-of-context term - 'badass' - that I see all over superhero sites and such! Superheros are supposed to be of the highest character and virtues and yet so many want them to be like they were hanging out in dingy dives on the waterfront with a cigarette hanging out the corner of their mouth. I really wish society would up its standards for heroes once more.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Yellow, I understand your frustration and believe me I echo your sentiments. But this is the Green Hornet we're talking about, not some colorfully costumed figure. I too, think the term bad*** is over used, but the Green Hornet is and should be. I don't think I need to go into the Hornet's career to tell you that. "He hunts the biggest of all game. Public enemies that try to destroy our America!"
Music. BAT! Music.
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

Yellow Oval wrote:I am so tired of that overused and out-of-context term - 'badass' - that I see all over superhero sites and such! Superheros are supposed to be of the highest character and virtues and yet so many want them to be like they were hanging out in dingy dives on the waterfront with a cigarette hanging out the corner of their mouth. I really wish society would up its standards for heroes once more.
You are 100% correct. I have felt this way for a long time. At the same time I am sick of peiple having to humanize the villians. The whole idea of creating a backstory for the joker where he is truly a decent person who only took on a life of crime to feed his family not only ruins the character IMO but shows that we've become a society where people feel that it's ok to break the law as long as you justify it in your own mind. It's totally backwards.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

I'm suitably intrigued but talk of Britt Reid's history as a Commando/Navy Seal-type starts alarm bells ringing.

Story is key, but writing is king. That being said, a sauve production design, decent casting and a plausible narrative will certainly surpass the incredibly low bar that Rogen/Gondry/Sony set earlier this decade.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

John Mack wrote:Yellow, I understand your frustration and believe me I echo your sentiments. But this is the Green Hornet we're talking about, not some colorfully costumed figure. I too, think the term bad*** is over used, but the Green Hornet is and should be. I don't think I need to go into the Hornet's career to tell you that. "He hunts the biggest of all game. Public enemies that try to destroy our America!"
I get you, John. I wholeheartedly agree that G.H. should be played in a serious tone much like the old radio show or the Dozier series. The problem with "badass" as a description is that alludes to connotations of just a violent brawler which I think we can all agree on that Green Hornet is not. Like Batman is (or was - if one compares to today's version) a high degree of intellect, skill, discipline, and combat proficiency was what made these icons what they were. Nowadays all that seems to be out the window as they just have to be nasty and violent - hence, "badass".
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Very well said and I agree Y.O.
Music. BAT! Music.