Green Hornets Mask-Flat or Glossy

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

dreddbatfan

Green Hornets Mask-Flat or Glossy

Post by dreddbatfan »

I was wondering if anyone can tell me if Van Williams Green Hornet Mask was a Flat or Glossy finish?I'm having mine painted and I have the Hunter Green color but I don't know if I should buy a Flat or Glossy to cover the Hunter Green paint.Thanks for any help that you can give me,I really appreciate it.

Danny Redd
(dreddbatfan)
BATWINGED HORNET

Re: Green Hornets Mask-Flat or Glossy

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

If I were you, I would look at color publicity photos. The reason being, some of the early shots did not suffer the wear and tear of weekly use, so you're likely to see what kind of surface/finish the mask had. In my opinion it was somewhere between flat and a mild shine.
Beneath Wayne Manor
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

I'm sure you've seen these photos, Van reunited with one of his original TV masks. Mind you this is 50 years later.
It also depends on what mask style you are creating, each one was bit different and even from episode to episode the mask shine changed depending on lighting. Not sure what they were originally, or what look they were going for? Probably error on the safe side, go with a satin finish.
hobbybuilder01

Post by hobbybuilder01 »

Satin finish would be your best bet
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

I just used straight Rust-Oleum Hunter Green Spray Paint over my CY Green Hornet mask. No top coat. A favorite moment was when Van popped the mask on and it looked great. A few minutes later and the fellow with the screen used mask stepped in and Van took pictures of that one as well like A Pennyworth just shared. Lol. pretty close, huh.
van and scott 2012.jpg
Here's a couple shots to show it under different lighting. This was before I had replaced the hornet sticker with a metallic one. Btw, the hornet symbol on the original was hand painted.
ccgh_59.jpg
Scott-Sebring-as-The-Green-Hornet.jpg
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

I agree with Scott, not only have I seen his in person but from the point of view of how the mask reacts when photographed, a gloss of any kind would make it appear way shinier when hit with flash or strong day light and simply wouldn't retain the "read" of the originals.
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Great looking mask Scott!!!
The hard flat surface bounces enough light as is. If it gets too shiny you don't see green in the highlight, you see white.
Thanks for sharing those images AP!!! Flippin' fantastic!!!
So that emblem was metallic gold? I thought it looked that way. HAND PAINTED????!!!! WOW!
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
dreddbatfan

Post by dreddbatfan »

I bought a Satin Hunter Green from Krylon Fushion for Plastics and I was wondering if that would work?Also,what do I do for the emblem on the mask?Does anybody have some already made up that I can use?Thanks for all comments,they're worth their weight in gold.
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Krylon Fusion should work well on that I would think. As for the logo, you could carefully cover it with painters tape & hope for the best or print out a new logo and adhere it afterwards.
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

I came across this site where the author posts comments he received from CY Productions about how to adjust the mask to fit and also how to peel/remove the decal using a hair dryer prior to following re-fitting instructions. Looks like the thing to do before you paint!

http://thecaveboard.yuku.com/topic/1108 ... JAsYYXpglY
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
dreddbatfan

Post by dreddbatfan »

Was the emblem on the mask a glossy or flat?If it was glossy,where can I get one?
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Here's a logo that looks like the one on Scott's mask above - I've adjusted it to what looks to be the right size. You can print this on adhesive back paper. I would suggest no gloss so flash doesn't ruin it in photos.
Attachments
Green Hornet logo mask redux.png
Green Hornet logo mask redux.png (10.15 KiB) Viewed 8791 times
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!