The Hornet's lair.

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Jimmy L. 66

The Hornet's lair.

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

Howdy,
I have been watching a few episodes of The Green Hornet lately and enjoying quite a bit.
I'm sure it has been discussed here, but may have been better received if (shudder) Batman had not come first. My boys were expecting more of the same, and got bored until Kato was onscreen.
I find the stories, writing, and some of the acting is enjoyable as a noir-Ish crime show of it's time.

All that said, how does his Lair/ secret hideout / house/ exit/ entrance work? Is there a blueprint somewhere? Frank goes behind some boards, and comes out in the lair walking down. Britt and Kato come down stairs to study/lair, but there is a backyard or at least a patio outside suggesting ground level. The garage appears to be on the same level as study, the Black Beauty flips up and faces the same way as regular car so it must go out the same garage door. The Beauty then exits the kissing candy door and drives down the alley that Frank uses. Correct?

Is Britts House just behind that wall in the sketchy part of town?
Where is the backyard?
Does Frank go up stairs behind those boards?
I realize that I am over thinking this, but it kinda drives me nuts.
So I thought I would ask.
dell

Re: The Hornet's lair.

Post by dell »

For being quite wealthy he does live in a rather run down part of town unless the Black Beauty drives a long ways (in a tunnel?) before exiting the sign. I kind of figure it works the same way the batpole costume changer worked on Batman. In other words you just have to accept it and move on.
dell
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

Here is detailed topic thread from 2011 with many screen grabs and great drawings by MarvLS
depicting the possible layouts (different drafts) of Britt's apartment posted over at thecaveboard.yuku.com

http://thecaveboard.yuku.com/topic/8841 ... servations

Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

LOVED seeing those theoretical schematics again. A real labor of love from the creator.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Fascinating! Probably the most overlooked detail from the series. Makes much sense out of the sets, Thanks for posting this!
Beneath Wayne Manor
svl

Post by svl »

Love this. But it poses another question- how in the world did people NOT figure out Britt was the Hornet? Someone (most likely many more than just one) had to see the BB come out of that alley... which is directly behind the home of Britt Reid, wealthy publisher of the Daily Sentinel.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Suspension of disbelief in my mind's eye. I doubt much thought went into all of this. It's cool, and that is that.
Music. BAT! Music.
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

I love it! Blueprintso!
OK, so yes I concede that you should not think about it too much, but here we are.
So, Frank has to go up and over for the secret entrance to work, also he is the only one that uses it and knows about it, correct?
2nd. If there is a Main street facing garage, which I assume was every day Britt Reid driving, why all the flipping of cars if that is a secret garage?
Yes it looks cool, best way to hide a car if you ask me.
And yes, it would be pretty obvious where that British house was right there, but Wayne Manor could not have been too far from Batcave's entrance. How many houses are on top of that cliff that cars keep coming out of?
BATWINGED HORNET

batrunner1966 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:26 am I love it! Blueprintso!
OK, so yes I concede that you should not think about it too much, but here we are.
So, Frank has to go up and over for the secret entrance to work, also he is the only one that uses it and knows about it, correct?
2nd. If there is a Main street facing garage, which I assume was every day Britt Reid driving, why all the flipping of cars if that is a secret garage?
Its secret, but it would not be wise to have the BB sitting topside--in the event someone broke into the garage. Flipping it is the most secure way of parking the car.
And yes, it would be pretty obvious where that British house was right there, but Wayne Manor could not have been too far from Batcave's entrance. How many houses are on top of that cliff that cars keep coming out of?
If you look at some fan schematics of Wayne Manor and the Batcave, the mansion sits right above the cave, so it should be fairly clear to see it sitting on the foundation above the cave exit...and expose the entire secret.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Bill S.C.

Post by Bill S.C. »

When I would watch the GH, some of those details use to bother me too. As mentioned, it's a big city and the streets are surprisingly void of people who could easily see the BB come and go. Also, although it looked cool to see the cars rotate to reveal the BB, it always seemed impractical to me because wouldn't the cars leak various fluids while they were upside down? I always thought it would've made more sense to have one car be lifted into a space in the ceiling as the BB rose from the floor. Also, have the BB drive down a ramp to an abandoned section of subway tunnel and then have various exits monitored by cameras to see which exit was the safest to use. As for Scanlon's access, it would've made more sense to come up into Britt's apartment rather than up over and down.

BTW, I think it's pretty cool that the GH was using drone technology over 50 years prior to them becoming mainstream.

Also; I loved the floor plans, very well done.
"Oh soon we'll be out amid the cold world's strife. Soon we'll be sliding down the razor blade of life." - Tom Lehrer
BATWINGED HORNET

Bill S.C. wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:07 pm Also, although it looked cool to see the cars rotate to reveal the BB, it always seemed impractical to me because wouldn't the cars leak various fluids while they were upside down?
If you think about what it took to create the BB, I would imagine Reid & Kato modified both cars to be able to rotate / store upside down without losing fluids.
Beneath Wayne Manor
minion1966

Post by minion1966 »

Hello

When the Black Beauty roared down the alley and then did a sharp left turn onto the street (later I gather also used by Batgirl on her Batcycle) - where was that street located? Does it still exist today and is there more info available - especially photos? I know of at least three movies and a tv series (besides GH & Batman) that have used that alley/street.
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

The Batgirl alley and the Green Hornet alley were not the at the same location. Dan Goodman (katoman) provided this image of the Kissin' CANDY MINT GH alley in 2005, Don't remember if he ever stated it's exact backlot location.
Attachments
KissinCousinAlleyway.jpg
batgirlalleyvlcsnap-2016-02-16-20h54m49s228.jpg
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

dell wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:37 pm For being quite wealthy he does live in a rather run down part of town
I guess you could say it's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions. :x
- Boy Genius
minion1966

Post by minion1966 »

A. Pennyworth wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:49 pm The Batgirl alley and the Green Hornet alley were not the at the same location. Dan Goodman (katoman) provided this image of the Kissin' CANDY MINT GH alley in 2005, Don't remember if he ever stated it's exact backlot location.
Hello

Thank you for the photographs - if you can excuse the pun they were most illuminating.

I can see what you mean - it would be a tight squeeze for the Black Beauty to get down Batgirl's alley.

Sorry to be a knit picker but...

"provided an image of... alley in 2005"

Would I be correct in thinking that this means that the photo was taken in 2005 - or that is when he gave it to you (and the date of the image is unknown) .or both?