The Green Hornet vs Batman villians

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

dell

Re: The Green Hornet vs Batman villians

Post by dell »

BilltheBat wrote:Who would the Green Hornet go after from another show? Heisenberg. The Hornet would go after Heisenberg.
The Green Hornet might go after Heisenberg, or he might not. I really can't be certain.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist doing a physics joke even if the original post is three years old. I know many people won't get it either.
dell
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

Bat Tom wrote:Maybe they could get Van Williams to be in the next Batman animated movie.
I could go for that. At the same time all of Kato's fight scenes should be rotoscoped from actual Bruce Lee Kung Fu footage so that it has the precise timing and feel of the real Bruce Lee rather than an artist's interpretation.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

dell wrote:
BilltheBat wrote:Who would the Green Hornet go after from another show? Heisenberg. The Hornet would go after Heisenberg.
The Green Hornet might go after Heisenberg, or he might not. I really can't be certain.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist doing a physics joke even if the original post is three years old. I know many people won't get it either.
In many ways The Green Hornet could be described as Schroedinger's Villain, as he is perceived as both Good and Evil at the same time.
dell

Post by dell »

Ben Bentley wrote:
dell wrote:

In many ways The Green Hornet could be described as Schroedinger's Villain, as he is perceived as both Good and Evil at the same time.
But only if he is in a box. :shock:
dell
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

svl wrote:The original concept for The Batman was never one of colorful super-villains or camp either.
There was no "original concept"! Bob Kane came up with the name "Bat-Man" and Bill Finger fleshed it out. They were grasping around for something that would catch on, whatever that might be. If he had fought "The Syndicate" every month, "Batman" wouldn't have lasted a year. The Hornet show often became boring because of the lack of interesting antagonists. I've been watching another Greenway production 'Felony Squad' lately, and in many ways it kills the Green Hornet. It's enjoyable in a more "Law & Order" way. As for the Hornet having colorful guests, Peter Haskell, who for a bit appeared in a "devil" costume was a standout. As was Tom Simcox, as a doppelganger Hornet in "Corpse of the Year". Who if anything out Green Horneted the Hornet! John Carradine as "The Scarf" was fine. And Victor Jory who once portrayed 'The Shadow" was wonderful in "The Frog Is a Deadly Weapon". Man they did some stupid titles! Notice by the final episode, as a last ditch effort, GH did a two-parter with tin-foil covered "space aliens". And it was a lot more fun than a lot of what had already aired! A few real-world villains might have helped "Batman", but a few colorful once might've saved the Hornet.

Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
Lounge lizard

Post by Lounge lizard »

I think it could have worked, and it was certainly Dozier's original intention, but George Trendle stood firm against going down that route until the series had practically ended. Personally the 'Invasion From Outer Space' episodes are my least favourite which leads me to believe the villains would've had to have been subtly less colourful in the Hornet's backyard

Batman's foes have proven to work in many different interpretations so I could see Catwoman (preferably Lee Meriwether) and False Face making worthy adversaries for Britt Reid and Kato . Both Burgess Meredith and Cesar Romero had the acting chops to take the Joker and Penguin into more sinister territory.

Frank Gorshin's Riddler could stay exactly as he is!
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

I could see The Sea Hag from the 1966 Batman Topps Card number 14a:"Danger In The Depths" as a worthy adversary for The Green Hornet and Kato.
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

I could also see Poison Ivy and The Siren as worthy adversaries.
Progress Pigment

elmrgraham wrote:I could see The Sea Hag from the 1966 Batman Topps Card number 14a:"Danger In The Depths" as a worthy adversary for The Green Hornet and Kato.
I think we can all agree on that one.

Maybe a 2nd crossover with Batman?
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

I agree with that.
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

The Sea Hag episode could be a 2nd crossover Batman one,with The Terrific Trio teaming up with The Green Hornet and Kato in an effort to stop her Undersea Crimes in Gotham City and Worldwide.
Progress Pigment

Wow, 5 on one! The Sea Hag might need a partner. Maybe The Penguin and Lola Lasagna could salvage the old penguin sub from Batman: The Movie. And they could use the Joker, Catwoman and Riddler stand-ins from "Dr. Cassandra". This would have to be a three-part episode at least.

elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

To me,The Sea Hag would have her own boat and sub.As partners,she could have Scuba Henchwomen named Sea Maid and Tsuami.The Sea Hag could also have Scuba Frogmen as part of her Criminal Scuba Gang.A 3 part episode would be excellent.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

There was no "original concept"! Bob Kane came up with the name "Bat-Man" and Bill Finger fleshed it out. They were grasping around for something that would catch on, whatever that might be. If he had fought "The Syndicate" every month, "Batman" wouldn't have lasted a year.
Funny you should say that because The Green Hornet was one of the great radio successes with that specific format. Moreover, Batman had out of the ordinary villains, but none of the best were as silly or over the top as that which hurt the Dozier series.

Man they did some stupid titles!
...something repeatedly said of Batman's titles since its ABC years.

Notice by the final episode, as a last ditch effort, GH did a two-parter with tin-foil covered "space aliens".
The "alien" business was merely a ploy to cover Dr, Mabuse's mission to obtain an H-bomb warhead (to its credit, a plot more in line with the espionage genre). Further, the story was no "last ditch effort" as it is believed the producers already knew the series was not going to continue by the time "Invasion from Outer Space" went before the cameras. Dozier was wise in not tying to copy Batman, as the series were never meant to be the same, and as we all witnessed with Batman, the more the series upped the ridiculous antics of villains (so silly that by comparison, even Archie comics would seem serious), the more the series spiraled toward a shameful end.

And it was a lot more fun than a lot of what had already aired! A few real-world villains might have helped "Batman", but a few colorful once might've saved the Hornet.
No, it would not. Avoiding anything even hinting at Archer, Black Widow, Puzzler, Tut, the season two versions of Mr. Freeze and 99% of season three's made for TV villains was a blessing. If those kind of villains did not help Batman, it would not do a thing for TGH.
Beneath Wayne Manor
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

In my opinion,Batman and The Green Hornet vs.The Sea Hag would have been an excellent 3 part adventure.