green hornet mask

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

BATWINGED HORNET

Re: green hornet mask

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

The mask seems cool. No idea how screen accurate it is, but at first glance it passes.

As for the hat, yeah, that's not very period accurate--a bit too high. I wonder of the basic hat style used for the series can be sourced on eBay, or some similar site...
Beneath Wayne Manor
DrewMasie

Re: green hornet mask

Post by DrewMasie »

The biggest problem is matching the colors. There seems to be an infinite variety of green; hunter green, forest green, olive green, etc., but few that combine the right style with the right shade. I learned that there is something called a "stingy brim" fedora which might be what Van wore, but I'm not really sure. I bought a nice black Stetson fedora that I really like, but. . . it's black. Couldn't find anything comparable on eBay or anywhere else of the right color.

The hat I'm wearing in the first picture is a Broner Melodrama in dark green, which is close to the color of the "reproduction" hat, but doesn't look as premium as a true felt hat. But then again, it's was about 1/3 the cost, and for a convention is probably close enough. It's also crushable and less likely to get damaged than a fancy $300 hat.

Another option would be to go to a hatmaker like Baron's, (which sadly is no longer in Burbank, he moved to the third story of an old building in Los Angeles near skid row and the toy district. I went there to get my hat stretched and while his shop is nice, the surrounding area is pretty sketchy). I understand that Baron's made both the GH and Kato hats for the original series and has the original blocks and patterns. I think the cost is around $900 for a GH hat though!

The CY Productions/Law Dog Hat Company hat is really nice, but just doesn't look quite right on me. (Looks great on my display head though).

I just discovered a shop called World Hat and Boot Mart in Inglewood (near the LAX airport) which might be worth a visit. They have a huge selection on eBay, and most of their hats run about $170. At least there you can try them on.