Diving Deep into the Green Hornet for the First Time

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

vintagematt

Diving Deep into the Green Hornet for the First Time

Post by vintagematt »

I have decided that to help kill time while in quarantine, I will watch every episode of the Green Hornet television series! I have only seen a couple, two or three I think. I'm really excited to get into it, since I've seen board members praise it time and time again. After I watch each episode I will be posting a short lil' review. Feel free to watch a long with me and post your thoughts as well! I'm so excited! :D
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
svl

Re: Diving Deep into the Green Hornet for the First Time

Post by svl »

You could host a Zoom chat and people could join u in the viewing (just share your screen).

U r in for a treat, the Hornet is a fantastic 13 hours of pure entertainment.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Sounds good! Looking forward to your reviews. Feel free to join in on our Video Bat-Chat session on Sunday April 19th and tell us your thoughts on your marathon so far!

More details in the thread below...
viewtopic.php?f=2&p=70767#p70767
Lee Kirkham

Post by Lee Kirkham »

I like the series, but I think the 1/2 hour limitation kept it from being great. Certainly worth exploring, though. I don't even remember where my VHS tapes ended up. I likely donated them to another fan.
I find you to be odious, abhorrent and insegrevious.
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

#1 - THE SILENT GUN (Rating: 6/10)

I just finished the first episode. Extremely true to it's title, it's essentially about a gun that makes no noise, and the hornet's quest to get it out of the wrong hands. I think the episode was fine, a good start, but I'm hoping it improves from here. The most jarring thing is how rushed it felt. This show just feels like an hour show crammed into a 20 min. time slot. I agree wholeheartedly with Lee Kirkham so far, it's good, but it's run time prevents it from being great. The plot of this one was pretty good, but nothing too special. I think the standout scene was when the Hornet was interrogating a woman in the Daily Sentinel. It just had an emotional depth that the rest of the episode didn't (have time to) include. The cast is all great, and boy, the Black Beauty is one heck of a car! The music was fantastic, Batman-esque but different enough to be it's own thing. Well, that's all for now folks. What are your opinions on the episode?
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
Lee Kirkham

Post by Lee Kirkham »

THE BATPHONE! wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:44 pmI agree wholeheartedly with Lee Kirkham so far, it's good, but it's run time prevents it from being great.
Yeah, I think having that extra 30 minutes would have allowed for better character development, plot development and dramatic resolution.
I find you to be odious, abhorrent and insegrevious.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

THE BATPHONE! wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:44 pm #1 - THE SILENT GUN (Rating: 6/10)

I just finished the first episode. Extremely true to it's title, it's essentially about a gun that makes no noise, and the hornet's quest to get it out of the wrong hands. I think the episode was fine, a good start, but I'm hoping it improves from here. The most jarring thing is how rushed it felt. This show just feels like an hour show crammed into a 20 min. time slot. I agree wholeheartedly with Lee Kirkham so far, it's good, but it's run time prevents it from being great. The plot of this one was pretty good, but nothing too special. I think the standout scene was when the Hornet was interrogating a woman in the Daily Sentinel. It just had an emotional depth that the rest of the episode didn't (have time to) include. The cast is all great, and boy, the Black Beauty is one heck of a car! The music was fantastic, Batman-esque but different enough to be it's own thing. Well, that's all for now folks. What are your opinions on the episode?
I really do enjoy The Green Hornet, it's a show I come back to at regular intervals because of its 25 minute format - I often watch an epsiode whilst I eat lunch. That being said from a story telling perspective, the half-hour format like yourself and Lee have stated definitely stunts the show's ability on the whole to explore these storylines in anything but the fairly superficial shorthand that we see in the finished product. That being said, as the season progresses and we get to see more and more interactions between the core cast - there is some element of character development and it becomes fun to see Miss Case and Mike Axford's dynamics with Britt over time.

With regards to "The Silent Gun", as much as I enjoy it for what it is, unlike Batman whereby "Hi Diddle Riddle" for a lot of people is a high-point right out of the gate, I feel like with The Green Hornet show you're going to experience a more gentle wave of ok, good and great in various orders.

Enjoy!
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

I think it’s really a 1 hour show. It’s a shame they were held to 30 minutes. You could have 2 fight scenes, detective work, Newspaper work, and some tension between the police and GH, just the opposite of Batman.

Have you tried the radio programs. I think they are in the public domain, and about 30 minutes for comparison. Great in the car.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

I love old radio shows so I’ve listened to them before, and I think they are great! So sorry about the delay in reviews, a lot of things have been going on in my personal life that have gotten in the way. Next one should be up tonight!
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

To anyone who has watched both shows, which one handled the half-hour format better?
cheers
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

Where are you finding the episodes?
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

Jimmy L. 66 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:17 pm Where are you finding the episodes?
I don't know where they are but I found some just now:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 57XEatByGT
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

#2 - GIVE 'EM ENOUGH ROPE (Rating: 8/10)

I thought this was an improvement over the previous episode. It had a great cold open, and I liked the character of Claudia. The story still could have used more running time, but it used the time it was given better than Silent Gun did. The plot was interesting, but the villains so far have been pretty bland and unmemorable. But this episode shows promise for the many to come.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

robinboyblunderer wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:24 pm To anyone who has watched both shows, which one handled the half-hour format better?
cheers
The Green Hornet is far better in that regard, as the show worked within its half-hour format, and did not leave plot points loose or strung out with the expectation of a cliffhanger / resolution second episode. Obviously, Batman handled this well in season one, but it was so short-lived before the leaning on gimmicks and sloppy writing started to poison the well.
Beneath Wayne Manor
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

This is strange, I decided to watch the rest of the series over the course of two days, and wrote a long episode by episode review. I must not have submitted it before shutting down my computer. I just came back to this thread now and realized that I never sent it.

Oh well, overall I thought the series was pretty decent. Nothing too outstanding, but a good quality crime show. Green Hornet and Kato themselves are the sole reason to watch the show (of course), with all other characters just being complimentary, with little interesting about them. Although Ms. Case and Mike Axford may be exceptions. Still, I think it's pretty darn good, and will definitely re-watch it in the future.