Spanish DVD?

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Ricky

Spanish DVD?

Post by Ricky »

I've tried to find the answer to this through the search function of the forum, can't find it mentioned? Or maybe I have not tried hard enough?! :lol:

I have found this by doing a simple search on Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Green-Hornet-Complete-Spanish-Release/dp/B0776C138S/ref=sr_1_3?crid=M2Q16STL6SGS&dchild=1&keywords=green+hornet&qid=1590078643&s=dvd&sprefix=green+%2Cdvd%2C140&sr=1-3

It appears to be an official release of the Green Hornet series for the Spanish audience? Is this simply those episodes put together into two 'movies'. Or is this the actual series dubbed in Spanish? If anyone has this i'd like to know if the shows are dubbed or in English with subtitles, I can't really work it out from the reviews of the item, if its the latter then i'll give it a purchase.

Many thanks!!
BATWINGED HORNET

Re: Spanish DVD?

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

BatfanRicky wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:33 am I've tried to find the answer to this through the search function of the forum, can't find it mentioned? Or maybe I have not tried hard enough?! :lol:

I have found this by doing a simple search on Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Green-Hornet-Complete-Spanish-Release/dp/B0776C138S/ref=sr_1_3?crid=M2Q16STL6SGS&dchild=1&keywords=green+hornet&qid=1590078643&s=dvd&sprefix=green+%2Cdvd%2C140&sr=1-3

It appears to be an official release of the Green Hornet series for the Spanish audience? Is this simply those episodes put together into two 'movies'. Or is this the actual series dubbed in Spanish? If anyone has this i'd like to know if the shows are dubbed or in English with subtitles, I can't really work it out from the reviews of the item, if its the latter then i'll give it a purchase.

Many thanks!!
I would think with the set containing 5 discs, its not the 1974 cash-in "film" but the actual TV series. How "official" it is requires further investigation--like someone purchasing the set and watching it. My sixth sense suggests this is a TV broadcast cheaply DVR'd..

Actually, if you read some of the amazon reviews, it seems to be some cheap release:
"I only watched a few of these lovely and wonderful shows before my disc started to skip.
So I’m giving a spoiler free review on the Complete Green Hornet 5 disc dvd set. Well, my set has come in a very cheap black box and I mean VERY cheap. The plastic film over the image of Van Williams and Bruce Lee is loose and Ill fitting, very cheaply produced. The discs have a cheap print on them as well.
Yes, it reads like a bargain basement deal with poor image quality. In other words, whoever produced it did not obtain the camera negative as in other TV box sets such as the original Star Trek and The Twilight Zone for their blu-ray transfers.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:06 pm I would think with the set containing 5 discs, its not the 1974 cash-in "film" but the actual TV series. How "official" it is requires further investigation--like someone purchasing the set and watching it. My sixth sense suggests this is a TV broadcast cheaply DVR'd..

Actually, if you read some of the amazon reviews, it seems to be some cheap release:
"I only watched a few of these lovely and wonderful shows before my disc started to skip.
So I’m giving a spoiler free review on the Complete Green Hornet 5 disc dvd set. Well, my set has come in a very cheap black box and I mean VERY cheap. The plastic film over the image of Van Williams and Bruce Lee is loose and Ill fitting, very cheaply produced. The discs have a cheap print on them as well.
Yes, it reads like a bargain basement deal with poor image quality. In other words, whoever produced it did not obtain the camera negative as in other TV box sets such as the original Star Trek and The Twilight Zone for their blu-ray transfers.
I did a little digging when this was "reccommended" to me in a sponsored Amazon ad a while ago.

There is very little information out there regarding this so called "release" and so far (unless anyone has better luck than I did) it only appears to be offered via Amazon which is additionally dubious.

Simply put, the rights for home distribution of the GH TV show in any region are still tied up. Being able to officially release the entire show in any language or territory is not an option on the table as things stand between Green Hornet Inc, The Doziers and Fox. Factor in the quite telling reviews and multiple references in said reviews to the "VHS"-like quality and I think we have an answer.
Ricky

Post by Ricky »

Ben Bentley wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 4:36 am
BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:06 pm I would think with the set containing 5 discs, its not the 1974 cash-in "film" but the actual TV series. How "official" it is requires further investigation--like someone purchasing the set and watching it. My sixth sense suggests this is a TV broadcast cheaply DVR'd..

I did a little digging when this was "reccommended" to me in a sponsored Amazon ad a while ago.

There is very little information out there regarding this so called "release" and so far (unless anyone has better luck than I did) it only appears to be offered via Amazon which is additionally dubious.

Simply put, the rights for home distribution of the GH TV show in any region are still tied up. Being able to officially release the entire show in any language or territory is not an option on the table as things stand between Green Hornet Inc, The Doziers and Fox. Factor in the quite telling reviews and multiple references in said reviews to the "VHS"-like quality and I think we have an answer.
Many thanks to you both!

I'll hold off from buying as you say being only shown on Amazon alludes to maybe them essentially being bootlegged copies. It is so sad to see that the Green Hornet is still entangled in legality issues. I've seen mentioned on another thread on the board and a couple blogs online that the Roku service has the series for streaming? If thats so i'll look into getting the cheapest Roku device to start streaming - i'm eager to watch through the series.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Ricky wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:54 am
Ben Bentley wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 4:36 am

Many thanks to you both!

I'll hold off from buying as you say being only shown on Amazon alludes to maybe them essentially being bootlegged copies. It is so sad to see that the Green Hornet is still entangled in legality issues. I've seen mentioned on another thread on the board and a couple blogs online that the Roku service has the series for streaming? If thats so i'll look into getting the cheapest Roku device to start streaming - i'm eager to watch through the series.

I'd double check which Roku channel/service as I have one and I can't find any of the UK available options showing it.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Reading the reviews which is not always reliable, these appear to be legit bargain DVDs. The packaging does not look bootleg, paper type labels on the discs would concern me, but there’s only one person saying that so often times some of the cheap DVD seals feel like paper on a disc. Overall the reviews are very good, and it’s even noted that the subtitles are easy to remove so if you don’t have a set I think this is a reasonable chance.

I would take note that if you’ve got a cheap DVD player it might have some skipping troubles. I used to have a cheap one in my studio and it would often skip even on official releases but when I upgraded to a multi region player I no longer have any problems at all.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

AndyFish wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 7:43 am Reading the reviews which is not always reliable, these appear to be legit bargain DVDs. The packaging does not look bootleg, paper type labels on the discs would concern me, but there’s only one person saying that so often times some of the cheap DVD seals feel like paper on a disc. Overall the reviews are very good, and it’s even noted that the subtitles are easy to remove so if you don’t have a set I think this is a reasonable chance.
Funnily enough, the packaging/artwork was another red-flag to me. The logo used is the same one used for the official Spanish release of the Rogen movie. Keep in mind that the Rogen was produced by Sony (not Fox) who had licensed the rights from GH Inc.

*UPDATED*
Using the Factory Entertainment GH merch that was released alongside Rogen tie-ins as an example of the brand indentity guidelines that were in place, the TV show merch always maintained the original Greenway era Hornet logo.

Also worth noting that there is no sign or reference to Fox/Trendle or even any of the legit European licensees who distributed the DVD release of the 70's movies compliations on the Spanish "release" in question.

So using the front cover artwork from Amazon, I did a reverse Google Image search and found additional listings on a couple of different Spanish language bootleg DVD sites.

I also searched for "TEMA" again and so far little to no relevant results regarding a distribution company by that name.
Ricky

Post by Ricky »

Wow Ben, you went full out there to check that out! I once thought as AndyFish describes these to be a cheaply made commission of the set but having some basic understanding of the legal entanglement surrounding the series and what you have briefly researched I am now of the opinion that they are bootlegged.
Loving the use of the Google reverse image - it was like reading an episode of Catfish lol !
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Ricky wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:16 am Wow Ben, you went full out there to check that out! I once thought as AndyFish describes these to be a cheaply made commission of the set but having some basic understanding of the legal entanglement surrounding the series and what you have briefly researched I am now of the opinion that they are bootlegged.
Loving the use of the Google reverse image - it was like reading an episode of Catfish lol !
Haha! I taught Nev everything he knows... ;)