Van Williams slated for Chiller Con

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

NJ_Batfan

Van Williams slated for Chiller Con

Post by NJ_Batfan »

Van Williams is listed as a guest at the Chiller Theatre show, scheduled for April 26-28 in Parsippany, NJ.

http://chillertheatre.com/gt/gtc4.htm
v194

Re: Van Williams slated for Chiller Con

Post by v194 »

He is there right now!
Owner of an Original TV used Black Beauty
Learn the history of the 2 cars at:
http://www.theblackbeauty.com
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

I would love to read a full VW biography. From what i've learned over the years, he has an interesting life before and after TGH.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Bat Tom

Post by Bat Tom »

Any reports from this show? I saw Van in the fall in Chicago and it was so good to see him doing shows again.
CapedCrusader83

Post by CapedCrusader83 »

Meeting Van Williams at Chiller Theatre was a highlight. I remember Van did one of these conventions in New Jersey, at some point in the late 90s I want to say, but at the time I was a teen, and hadn't seen the Green Hornet. I only knew of Van because Adam mentioned him in his autobio - Back to the Batcave. However I had no appreciation of the Green Hornet or Van's work. I didn't watch the Green Hornet until I was a in college in 2004/2005. However I've been kicking myself since then because I distinctly remembered Van sitting there at the table playing with his Green Hornet mask and he had no line. Once I realized how awesome the Green Hornet was and how rarely Van did conventions, I felt I had blown my one opportunity to meet him. Or so I thought!!!

Van was great at Chiller, and I agree that it's nice to see him doing shows again. I was glad to see that he had one of the longer lines. Van was great, he was posing with fans, talking to them about the show. There was someone dressed as 60s Batman and Green Hornet who were at his table around the same time I was. Someone brought in a Green Hornet soundtrack record for Van to sign. I remember the person asked him, "when was the last time you saw one of those?" Van replied, "more often than you think!" :) The man and woman who were working his table were great, they noticed my Sheldon outfit (The Big Bang Theory) immediately and started telling me "Bazinga!" and "Penny...knock, knock, knock." They were great.

Meeting Van was close to a magical moment. He still has that strong presence, and that voice! Wow, I could've just closed my eyes, and imagine I was in an episode. I asked him his favorite episode, and he responded, "oh I don't remember. The ones I didn't like were the ones we did with Batman. We were playing it straight, and they were doing...whatever it is that they did, whatever that was called." It was a candid, awesome moment. :D He kindly asked if I wanted the photo personalized since he had already signed it, and I was like of course! He also kindly took a photo with me sitting next to him. I used my phone, and he commented "it's amazing what they can do with these phones these days." I told him, "you had more impressive gadgets in the Black Beauty." He responds, "yeah except none of it worked!"

He was delightful. Hope he does another one of those shows in the NY/NJ region, as I'd love to see him again.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Bat Tom

Post by Bat Tom »

I am glad to hear that you had a great time at Chiller. I had a very similar experience in Chicago last fall. Van was amazed that so many people remember him and the Green Hornet when I talked with him.
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Nice Picture.
CapedCrusader83

Post by CapedCrusader83 »

Thank you!!! Meeting Van Williams was a highlight for me. I'm glad that he's healthy enough to get out there and meet with fans and that he's getting such a warm reception. Next time I should audition for the role of Kato. :)
Dynamic Duo

Post by Dynamic Duo »

I met Van at an FX Con some years back, and the lines were extremely long, but well worth the wait, as he signed my Soundtrack LP, and spent a bit of his time with each small kid, who probably had no idea who they had just met....that show (and my brief time with him) will always be deeply ingrained in my mind....he and Adam West are my personal heroes...they will always be a part of my youth!
"Atomic batteries to power...Turbines to speed...."
"Roger...ready to move out!"