Hornet Sting Help

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

BATWINGED HORNET

Re: Hornet Sting Help

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

rsaffle wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:04 am Hornet story would probably work better as a TV series more than a movie. CW's Green Hornet anyone?
Anything or any other production house other than those who "create" content for the CW, like the horrid Berlanti productions.

A CW Green Hornet would make the Seth Rogen film seem to be a respectful classic by comparison.
Beneath Wayne Manor
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

Quite honestly, as long as a new show shows some respect to the original GH...I'm pretty open to various interpretations. The respect thing is really crucial.
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

I have a question that some of you might be able to help with. In trying to research the '66 Hornet Sting there are picture of a version with a total of 5 segments and ones with 6 segments? Any idea which version was used more often? Did these version vary in total length? IT'S SOOOOO CONFUSING!!
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

Also...I'm getting conflicting diameter measurements for the base tube. Some places say it's 1-inch and others go top to almost 1 1/2-inch? Thoughts?
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

Looking at reviews of the Factory Entertainment prop, it looks like there are five sections in addition to the handle. That's probably based on their research, so is likely the most common. Photos of the real prop show either four or five sections. There were multiple versions so each one is probably a little different. Also it looks like the collar and end pieces are made of brass.

I don't think there is such a thing as a perfect reproduction or prop, so I'd go with whatever works best for you. If you're using electronics, probably 1 1/2" diameter is best if it will contain wiring. For my purposes a 1 inch diameter worked fine.

One more thing to consider is if you merely intend to display it, or take it to conventions where it will get more wear and tear. My daughter is an award-winning cosplayer, and she tries to make her props strong enough to take some abuse, but still has to treat them delicately when transporting them. There are stations at larger cons that contain adhesives, paint, and other stuff so people can make repairs to their costumes and/or props.

I saw the 1966 Batman exhibit at the Hollywood Museum, and even those reproductions weren't "perfect" and the screen-used props actually looked kind of rough (as in not well made).
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

If Folks want to see "rough", One should see the original Battlestar Galactica weapons. I've said it before, and I'll say it again; I was told by the prop and costumers on various shows that they had to "Make it cheap; make it fast and make it just strong enough to last for the filming" So it doesn't surprise me if the real props look a bit worn or cheesy.
Larry
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

Yes, it's true that most props are not made to last a lifetime and a lot of them don't even make it through the films or TV series before needing to be replaced. I do agree that a close approximation is about the best we can hope for and that it's whatever works best for our needs...and in my case it will be for actual cosplay with all the rigors that accompany that. I appreciate everyone's input on this.
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Does anyone have the Factory Entertainment prop? I'm trying to figure out if the Sting segments extend in equal lengths or if each segment extend at different lengths. Its hard to tell from pictures of the real prop.
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/