Hornet Sting Help

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

GMartin58

Hornet Sting Help

Post by GMartin58 »

Anyone with one of the Factory Entertainment Hornet Stings...is it possible to pull tube diameters? I'm trying to construct one and have a plan made but having the diameters of each individual tube would be awesome. Thanks in advance! -Greg
DrewMasie

Re: Hornet Sting Help

Post by DrewMasie »

I imagine you may need interior diameter too, as well as overall length when extended. I purchased an extendable selfie stick which after alteration extends to 36" for the one I made, but the Factory Entertainment prop may be longer. Buying separate metal tubes with the correct diameter and figuring out how to make them telescope without coming apart would have taken trial and error and for me would have cost too much. If you do figure it out maybe you can share your parts list.

Once you have the outer tube diameter, there are 3D artists that you can commission on Fiverr.com and other sites ( or maybe rsaffle here) to model the end piece, collar, and other parts, which are typically measured in mm. There are services that will print the files in PLA or other materials, unless you have access to a 3-D printer.
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

Here's the issue from my point of view...there were at least two "hero" versions in the TV show. I'm not 100% sure that the Factory Entertainment version is screen accurate but I may be wrong in that assumption. A lot of the pictures seem to show the ridges between the sections to be smooth like an old radio antenna...and in others there is a definite size difference. A. Pennyworth's site says that closed it's 12" long and 1" in diameter. I've been told that the FE version is a bit longer to accommodate the lights and sound.

It's quite frustrating to sort out but I have it in my head that if I can find the correct parts and pieces that it should be fairly simple to put together. The diameter of the tubes is what seems to be the crucial issue. Get those close then it will all fit.

If I can find the elements and get one together, I will be more than happy to share. And yes, I'm familiar with Fiverr.com but thanks! We'll see what comes of it!
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

I watched a couple of review videos of the Factory Entertainment Sting Prop, and based on the apparent size when they were handling it, it seems to be a larger diameter to allow for the battery holder and speaker. I'd guess it's 1 1/2 inches, but I'm sure someone in the forum can give you the exact size. I've only cosplayed as Green Hornet once, and few people even knew what character I was supposed to be, much less whether my weapons were screen accurate. I may dress up as GH again for WonderCon in April. I ordered a new coat from your Etsy vendor in India, so hopefully it will arrive in time for the convention.
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

DrewMasie wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:08 am I've only cosplayed as Green Hornet once, and few people even knew what character I was supposed to be, much less whether my weapons were screen accurate.
I find your comment about people not knowing who the GH is very interesting, understandable but interesting. There were a handful of "superhero" types that came before GH but not many and most have largely been ignored. Buck Rogers, The Shadow, The Lone Ranger & Tonto, Dick Tracy and Flash Gordon all pre-date the Hornet but the big boys, i.e. Superman, Batman, Spider-Man all came several years after. So sadly, GH belongs to a relatively unknown group of crimefighters from the past and only because of the '66 TV version has the Green Hornet even survived, IMHO.

Obviously, IF we can get a decent movie out of Hollywood that portrays GH and Kato as really cool, then perhaps we will see a resurgence of our boys. It would be wonderful to appear in costume and have everyone know exactly who we are!!
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

I started working on this some time ago and stopped. I will try and locate my files and see how far I got. The design was daunting at the time trying to create the collapsible tube. and make it all strong enough to stay straight. I've seen people make swords that print in place with all of the segments printed at one time. That would be the method. The ends and handle would be easy. Hopefully we can get definite measurements from someone but I think I was scaling from the pictures.

I'm in the middle of a few other things so it may take me some time...sorry.
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

I've found a supplier of telescoping aluminum in the correct sizes but my issue is how to make the telescope part work so it will stop and not fall out. I have some ideas but I'm not a machinist or props guy. Again...there were quite a number of Hornet Stings on screen. One of the first ones was spring powered and then there was the gas powered version and finally the one where Van just flicked or pulled it out manually and pushed it back closed. Each one probably had it's own specs.

Randy...you are correct. The extra bits; the ends and the handle are fairly easy 3D print pieces...it's getting the right look for the telescope that's vexing me!
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

GMartin58 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:34 am Obviously, IF we can get a decent movie out of Hollywood that portrays GH and Kato as really cool, then perhaps we will see a resurgence of our boys. It would be wonderful to appear in costume and have everyone know exactly who we are!!
"If" being the operative word. In my memory there has only been 1 series of movies where the reboot not only equaled the original.."Planet of the Apes" Ignoring the make-up, imho, the storylines came VERY close to the original "Monkey Planet" by Boulle. Others like "Lost In Space" ,"Star Trek", The Lone Ranger" missed the essence of the original by parsecs.

I get the reason that Batman has been "updated". Doesn't mean that I have to like the updates, but I will watch them.
Speaking of reboots, how about making some of the old GH radio scripts into movies? Think about it fellow GH fans
A quality GH movie would certainly get MY Vote.

Cheers!
Larry
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

There are some fan films that attempt to update the character, but are violent, profanity-laced dreck. I think it's difficult to take a pulp-fiction character and modernize it. Hollywood tried with The Phantom, The Spirit, and the other characters you mentioned. James Patterson co-wrote the recent Shadow novel, and it didn't even resemble the original character (plus it was terrible). And Kevin Smith did his comic book version where GH and Kato are descendants of the originals.

They've also tried Man from U.N.C.L.E., which was okay, but like some Bond films was kind of hokey.

I wouldn't mind a version set in the 30s or 40s with the "original" Green Hornet, and keep it a period piece where the gangsters are truly dangerous and GH and Kato have to develop an armored vehicle and specialized weapons, gather intelligence, work covertly with the DA, etc., to battle a dangerous crime syndicate. Maybe set it in Chinatown a la The Preying Mantis episode.
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

Times have definitely changed. You don't hear a lot about racketeering anymore although it still is a thing but I just recently heard about a case in Illinois that hit the news. Hollywood has made such a huge spectacle out of superhero's with super powers that it's a laugh when someone asks Bruce Wayne what his super power is...and he replies...I'm RICH! It kinda loses it's luster. While I love Batman, he's always relied on his gadgets while the Hornet seems to rely more on his intelligence and physical prowess and less on toys. (Yes, GH has toys) (Yes, I'm going to get flamed for saying that! LOL)

My point is that to make a GH movie today that will make money, Hollywood is going to have to make it spectacular and I'm afraid of what that might be.
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Hornet story would probably work better as a TV series more than a movie. CW's Green Hornet anyone?
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

rsaffle wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:04 am Hornet story would probably work better as a TV series more than a movie. CW's Green Hornet anyone?
Sadly, while I like the suggestion, the CW shows are usually filled with teenaged angst and why doesn't my boy/girl friend love me anymore! Lol. They'd do a nice job on the costumes, props and overall story but the young adult issues are just a wee bit too much for my liking! I really AM more of a Grandpa Hornet!!!! :lol: :!:
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

For a really interesting take on the classic pulp heroes, check out "Masks Volume 1" by Chris Roberson, published by Dynamite Comics, with art by Alex Ross and others. The artwork is amazing. You get Green Hornet and Kato, The Shadow ("The weed of crime bears bitter fruit!"), The Spider, The Black Bat, Black Terror, Miss Fury, and even Zorro in an epic tale of "Law vs Justice". I think some version of this story could work as a mini-series.
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

DrewMasie wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:58 am For a really interesting take on the classic pulp heroes, check out "Masks Volume 1" by Chris Roberson, published by Dynamite Comics, with art by Alex Ross and others. The artwork is amazing. You get Green Hornet and Kato, The Shadow ("The weed of crime bears bitter fruit!"), The Spider, The Black Bat, Black Terror, Miss Fury, and even Zorro in an epic tale of "Law vs Justice". I think some version of this story could work as a mini-series.
I've not read Masks yet but just downloaded it! I'll let you know what I think...(like it really matters!! LOL)
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

Sure it matters! You're a Green Hornet.