Happy Anniversary '66 Green Hornet!

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

GMartin58

Happy Anniversary '66 Green Hornet!

Post by GMartin58 »

56 years! Wow. Let's have a rousing cheer!!
Bryan Grantham

Re: Happy Anniversary '66 Green Hornet!

Post by Bryan Grantham »

Fascinating character(s). I've always loved the family connection with the Lone Ranger, and wish more media would acknowledge the parallels between LR and GH.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

While YMMV on whether or not The Green Hornet (as a character) is a "superhero", as far as I'm concerned, it was the first truly serious live-action attempt at a costumed character ever attempted (even the better serials played it silly from time to time).

TGH remains a great series, and its lack of an official release (and/or attempts to clear up all rights issues) is the major disappointment in the world of home media.
Beneath Wayne Manor
striker

Post by striker »

Bryan Grantham wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:26 am Fascinating character(s). I've always loved the family connection with the Lone Ranger, and wish more media would acknowledge the parallels between LR and GH.
Excellent points. It is not only a story about a man in a mask. It is a story about the trials and travails of Britt Reid that should make the audience make an emotional connection to the character.

Unfortunately the rights to the Lone Ranger and the Green Hornet are not owned by the same entity. This is the reason that the Lone Ranger is never explicitly mentioned in the recent stories, comics or movies. In my humble opinion that is a cop out. They do not need to mention or show the Lone Ranger. They can gently allude to the connection between the two without getting into legal issues.

The basic character elements of the Lone Ranger and the Green Hornet are the same. The Green Hornet is the Lone Ranger. Kato is Tonto. The Black Beauty car (the rolling arsenal) is the Silver horse (a fiery horse with the speed of light).
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Bryan Grantham wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:26 am Fascinating character(s). I've always loved the family connection with the Lone Ranger, and wish more media would acknowledge the parallels between LR and GH.
Aside from rights issues, it may not serve a practical purpose in establishing why Britt Reid has a second life. I know the Dozier series and Universal serials never mentioned the connection, yet they did not fail to sell their characters.
Beneath Wayne Manor