Green Hornet-ish Coat For Sale

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

GMartin58

Green Hornet-ish Coat For Sale

Post by GMartin58 »

Back in February I purchased a lovely wool Green Hornet-ish coat from India. Over the last 6 months though I've been working hard to get my health back and my waist down resulting in a 56-pound drop so now the coat is way too large. It's a LARGE and has only been worn 3 or 4 times.

If you are interested, please PM me.
Attachments
279291082_1032972787628576_7537246594925046218_n.jpg
279005186_315054797450779_558548598591856943_n.jpg
IMG_0520.JPG
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Re: Green Hornet-ish Coat For Sale

Post by Scott Sebring »

Great looking coat. Someone should be glad to get it.
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

As Batman says:
Attachments
Nice coat.gif
Nice coat.gif (498.86 KiB) Viewed 1893 times
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

One thing I noticed, and it's a small thingm the upper collar on the GH coat has a fine velvet piece covering the upper part of the collar. I used to own a brwon coat with that kind of collar back in the day. I hope this helps!
Larry
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Larry A. wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:54 pm One thing I noticed, and it's a small thing on the upper collar on the GH coat has a fine velvet piece covering the upper part of the collar. I used to own a brown coat with that kind of collar back in the day. I hope this helps!
Larry
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

Larry A. wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:54 pm One thing I noticed, and it's a small thingm the upper collar on the GH coat has a fine velvet piece covering the upper part of the collar. I used to own a brwon coat with that kind of collar back in the day. I hope this helps!
Thus my title...Green Hornet-ISH coat.
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

Adding a piece of black velvet to the collar is certainly possible, but it wouldn't change the overall look, and might actually detract from the coat if it doesn't lay correctly. Based on my search for a suitable GH coat, this one is the closest I've seen to the "real thing", and I have searched for a couple of years. I think it's at least as nice as the one Clint Young (CY Productions) offers, if not better.

I think GMartin and I are about the same size (before his dramatic weight loss), and I would consider making an offer if I didn't already have one on order.

Could you share the changes you made to accomplish a 56-pound weight loss? I need to drop about 25 lbs myself. If I do a cosplay again I don't want to look like "Fatman" or "The Green Donut Gobbler" (or be confused for "The Waddler").
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Drew,
I dropped 50 lbs by walking... a lot as well as drinking lots of water and eating less red, fatty meat and eating more chicken, or turkey. I don't eat much peanut butter and very little white bread (I REALLY prefer Rye bread...lower calories as well). Being diabetic, I don't eat candy of any sort. All of this has helped me lose weight and inches around my waist~
Larry
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

Thanks for the advice. Walking is always a good option. I started a walking regimen and was walking about 4 - 5 miles per day consistently but then I got COVID and fell off the wagon. We have a dog now and I walk her a couple times a day, but not as far or fast as I need to lose weight.

Getting old is not fun, but it still beats the alternative.
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

Ok guys. Here it is...(it's Drew's fault for asking!)

About 15 years ago I had a gallstone attack. I asked about alternatives to surgery in case...he said "not unless you become a vegetarian and NOBODY does that." Well I did and lost a ton of weight..90+ pounds!! About 5 years ago my wife and I went vegan after running into some really nasty eggs we were fixing!

Over the last 10 years or so there have been a number of personal/family stressors (including the suicide of our son three years ago) that caused me to start packing on the pounds again. I just got to the point where I didn't care anymore. One day I mentioned to my wife that I thought it would be fun to put together a Green Hornet outfit and go around to events. I think this is what prompted me to get back into some form of shape again. I made the decision that I wanted to see if I could get close to a Bruce Lee/Van Williams weight & shape. I document all this in my blog. https://wyldwyrds.blogspot.com

So here's what I do. I follow a whole food, plant-based (WFPB) lifestyle. No meat, eggs, dairy. Very low oil, salt & sugar. I started walking again with earnest. I do a 2-hour, 6-mile walk in the morning and then my wife and I go for another stroll in the evenings. On average I'm doing 9-10 miles a day. I do a little calisthenic type exercises...sit-ups, push-ups, jumping jacks to keep moving but no real weight training/gym workouts. It's getting colder here in the Pacific Northwest so we did purchase an elliptical so I can keep "walking" all winter.

That's it. Basic diet and exercise. I don't do soda pop or candy. No cakes, pies, cookies unless they come from a WFPB side. My wife is an astounding cook and loves to challenge herself to making things without oil, sugar, salt, etc. I don't miss meat or any of the other things I used to eat. I just had blood work done and with the exception of a slightly elevated LDL cholesterol level with is genetic, all my other numbers are down in the ideal range. No diabetes and not markers for any kind of cancer. I'm 64 and feel fantastic!

I hope that helps. I'm a bit of a health nut and carry the banner for following a WFPB lifestyle.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Thanks for sharing your story Greg!
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

Thanks for sharing. I admire your ability to set and reach specific goals, and your experiences make your dedication that much more meaningful. Paraphrasing your blog post, change "I wish" to "I will".

Like most things it's simple, but not easy.
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

DrewMasie wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:32 pm Thanks for sharing. I admire your ability to set and reach specific goals, and your experiences make your dedication that much more meaningful. Paraphrasing your blog post, change "I wish" to "I will".

Like most things it's simple, but not easy.
There in lies the rub. I've made the decision to live whatever days I have left in this world as healthy as possible! No doctors, no hospitals...just life. The Green Hornet is helping me with that.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I appreciate both of you offering what worked for you and I offer my condolences for the suffering you've gone through. I wanted to chime in with my two cents for anyone looking for tips but the idea of going Vegan or Vegetarian isn't appealing to them, because I couldn't do it.

To start, 25 years ago I was 245lbs -- at 5'10" that put me morbidly overweight. I was eating for a lot of reasons but probably most of all because I was unhappy with a lot of my personal life, food became comfort. I also had a people around me who were not the healthiest of eaters and all of them laughed at exercise and were discouraging when I would start a regiment.

I had to change the thinking, food was not the answer, it was not a comfort and how much was I really eating-- so I started a food journal and if I put it in my mouth it got written down in the journal. It only took a week to look over that journal and realize I had a huge problem. Not only was I having seconds and thirds but I was snacking almost non-stop.

I made some changes:

1- I got myself into a healthier relationship and recognized the biggest thing I was doing about food was thinking if it was there I had to eat it now. So I had to have another hamburger, I had to have more Buffalo Wings- the person who would become my wife made me realize that you didn't have to have it now- you could have it again another time. That was eye opening.

2- I switched to smaller plates. At home I was using giant almost trays, I got smaller ones. No snacking while cooking and NO seconds EVER. No Matter how much I wanted them, and remember I could always have leftovers tomorrow. At restaurants where they tend to give you large servings I'd instantly ask for a to-go container when the food was served and I'd put half of my meal in the box for tomorrow.

3- No snacking between meals unless it was fruit or carrot sticks, at first this was tough but I got used to it.

4- I eat lean steak 2-3 times a week but I have a salad with it. I eat chicken or pork for the rest of the meals.

5- I don't eat processed foods. If it comes in a box or a bag I don't eat it. I don't eat at chain restaurants or fast food places because they make 90% processed food.

6- I park FAR away from every place I'm going, I do laps around a store when I'm shopping. I walk my dog 3x a day which adds up to only about 45 minute and 3-4 miles but it works. Every morning I workout on a weight machine I have, but I started slow and built up. I also have a heavy bag in the basement next to the weight machine and I spend 10 mins a day hitting that thing which is a big stress reliever.

7- I switched to egg whites, toast (rye, wheat or some other dark bread) with no butter and black coffee for breakfast. On the two days a week I don't have eggs I have oatmeal. Once a month I have pancakes or French toast.

8- I have not given up any foods I like, I just have them less. If I want pizza or buffalo wings I reserve those for Friday night and I eat light Thursday night and have just a salad for lunch on Friday.

9- I get up and stretch every 90 minutes when I'm working at my desk. My studio is on the third floor of my house so I contend with stairs 7-8 times a day which helps too.

10- I drink 128oz of water a day-- I bought a 64oz thermos which I fill during the day. I never realized how many times I thought I was hungry when I was just thirsty.

So I started all this 24 years ago and dropped all the weight in under a year-- 23 years later I'm still at 174lbs which is five pounds lighter than I was in high school-- and in high school I was the Quarterback for our football team and Captain of a Boxing team so I was in pretty good shape. I feel great, people think I'm 15 years younger than I am and I've never looked back.

Bottom line is you have to make a change in your thinking, and recognize that this will take some work. When you "only" lose a pound or two and feel discouraged at first go to the supermarket and get a two pound tub of margarine and walk around with it-- you start to realize two pounds is actually a big deal and you're not carrying that everyday.

You can do it, and if you need a support buddy just reach out.