How about...

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Larry A.

How about...

Post by Larry A. »

Hi, Folks!
I've been giving this some thought, what with the new movie and such, how about splitting off the GH section from the 66 site and Giving the Hornet his OWN website???????????????????? It appears imho, that there would be an interest in such a "sister" site! On this 66 site, there are a number of Folks who REALLY know their GH stuff and they would be superb moderators on a GH site.

How about it??????????????????????????????????????????

Cheers!
Larry
GMartin58

Re: How about...

Post by GMartin58 »

Larry...I'd be all for it with the exception that it gets really quiet in the GH Forum halls so I'd question whether anyone would contribute on a regular basis. I've noticed that last half dozen posts on here have been from me and few respondents.

Anyone else have thoughts?
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

There's been a few GH forums over the years that have come and gone ultimately because of a lack of interactions and users. Some were good (Joe Nest's site is springs to mind), and some were not particularly friendly at all (especially if you're used to the general vibe and pleasantries here).

Ultimately, "message board culture" across the majority of fandoms is at an all-time low as a result of how our online habits and lifestyles have evolved into the age of social media. A forum that didn't pre-date Facebook doesn't realistically stand a chance at building a meaningful and ongoing community around it, IMHO. I totally get it, Facebook groups offer the level of convenience required for any kind of participation that the majority of casual fans wish to invest, aka not having to log in to a separate website.

The 1966 Batman Message Board and its sense of community that keeps it ticking is even more of a unicorn in 2023 than ever, but it would be remiss to not acknowledge that we haven't been immune to the things I mentioned above.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Ok, it was a thought!
Larry
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

Larry A. wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:29 pm Ok, it was a thought!
Larry...it was a good thought and I wish the community was a little more forthcoming. I'd love to have on-going, meaningful conversations on GH!!
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Honestly, if someone wants to put the time and energy into it, by all means, Scott and I would be the first to support it! We're both big TV Hornet fans.

Apologies if my response sounded blunt, not my intention, but it comes sincerely from the first-hand experience of being involved in this Message Board for nearly twenty years and helping manage it for over fourteen of those years.

Obviously it's about quality and not quantity of posts per se, but at a quick glance, we've had 216 threads in the Green Hornet section here since 2012, that averages at 16.6 threads per year, which is 1.3 threads per month. Now, I'm not saying that Green Hornet fans aren't out there, but it's fair to say that there's only a handful of them actively talking about the show here and given the cross-over fan base, if more interactions can't be stoked here, it feels like an uphill battle to try and encourage it from the ground up on a totally new website/forum.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

No problem, Ben. Like I said earlier...just a thought!
Larry
dell

Post by dell »

I pop in and read the posts in this GH subforum because they pop up on the new posts list. If I have something to add I make a post. I don't think I would ever visit a dedicated Green Hornet forum because it just doesn't interest me enough. Just being honest and not trying to be negative.
dell
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

Personally, I could talk GH all day long so I have an unreal expectation for this or any forum. I do tend to pop in here multiple times a day to see if anyone has posted a new comment to one of my numerous posts or started a new string!
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Hi GMartin!
I don't remember if I have ever mentioned this before, but my 1st encounter with the Hornet besides the TV series was back in 1972 while I was in Navy Boot Camp in Florida. After the first 4 week of training, on Friday and Saturday nights when we were in barracks, Our "Company Commander (CC) Mr. Cassat, started calling our company to sit down as a group in front of His office door and would play his radio for us to listen to HIS favorite radio shows. ( I knew about radio dramas because Mom and Dad and the Grandparents always talked about them). He always led the 2 hours before "lights out" with THREE episodes of.. You guessed it, "The GREEN HORNEY"!!!!!!! Complete with "The Flight of the Bumble Bee" theme. I don't remember the others...might have been a western or two, after those GH episodes, I don't remember. I certainly preferred the radio play episodes over the TV show. They just seemed better written thaan the TV series, AND it didn't have Bruce Lee (not my favorite actor).
Cheers!
Larry
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

Larry A. wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:33 pm Hi GMartin!
I don't remember if I have ever mentioned this before, but my 1st encounter with the Hornet besides the TV series was back in 1972 while I was in Navy Boot Camp in Florida. After the first 4 week of training, on Friday and Saturday nights when we were in barracks, Our "Company Commander (CC) Mr. Cassat, started calling our company to sit down as a group in front of His office door and would play his radio for us to listen to HIS favorite radio shows. ( I knew about radio dramas because Mom and Dad and the Grandparents always talked about them). He always led the 2 hours before "lights out" with THREE episodes of.. You guessed it, "The GREEN HORNEY"!!!!!!! Complete with "The Flight of the Bumble Bee" theme. I don't remember the others...might have been a western or two, after those GH episodes, I don't remember. I certainly preferred the radio play episodes over the TV show. They just seemed better written thaan the TV series, AND it didn't have Bruce Lee (not my favorite actor).
Cheers!
Great story...and thank you for your service! I was a Batman kid in the 60's but didn't get to see GH until years later since my mom wouldn't let me watch it! I've always been a fan of the show. In later years as a radio broadcaster after interviewing Adam West, he introduced me to Van Williams and we did several interviews together. Fast forward to 2019...after a family tragedy I was suffering deep depression and figured I was done with life and was thinking I'd just let my hair/beard grow and be a Santa Claus! My health suffered badly until one night I was reading a GH comic book in bed and told my wife I thought it would be cool to cosplay as the GH. She encouraged me to start taking care of myself and go for it! So far I've dropped 50+ pounds and now thank my lucky stars for the inspiration! As a radio guy...I've always loved the old radio shows. We used to feature them on one of my radio stations! I loved the 40's serials and can't wait for a new film...since we kind of got cheated with the 2011 Rogen debacle!!
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Hi GMartin58! I played Santa claus back when my kids and their friends were little. I used a wig and fake beard and padding. I gained about 70 lbs of middle age spread, but have lost it now. I'm down to the weight I was in high school! I was a skinny kid :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :!:

I am happy that You have been losing weight. That's always a great thing. Glad that You enjoyed my tale.

3 Cheers for the Hornet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hip,hip, HUZZAH! Hip,hip, HUZZAH! Hip,Hip, HUZZAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Larry