What kind of hat style did the Green Hornet wear and what color was it?

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

DrewMasie

Re: What kind of hat style did the Green Hornet wear and what color was it?

Post by DrewMasie »

Here's the yellow version.
Attachments
HONEY BEE-01.png
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

Wasn't posted yet but a screen grab from Batman episode "A Piece Of The Action". These large stamps possibly show at least the color of the hat/mask/jacked were all the same shade of green and perhaps a close representation to the actual color? Of course the shade and hue might be off due to photographic process.
Attachments
Untitled-1 copy.jpg
gerryd54

Post by gerryd54 »

I think they were the same shade but not an exact match. The hat and overcoat were obviously different materials/fabric so they take the dye differently. The mask is obviously painted which they try to match to the overcoat/hat. I think it's as you said, "the same shade" but for the stamps they matched all three exact, sort of like they did in the Gold Key comic books. The stamps also look like a brighter green but that could be the lighting, which you mentioned as well.
mwilbury

Post by mwilbury »

Any recommendations for hat band fabric? I stumbled on a pretty nice, vintage fedora, but it needs a different hat band. I was debating whether to spend $11-15 on a pre-made, 2-inch twill band or take a trip to the fabric store. Thanks!
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

Hatband ribbon is usually a grosgrain ribbon but there are hatters out there that tell you it can't be purchased at the fabric store and guard their stashes with fervor! Went to Hobby Lobby and picked up a spool of 2" black grosgrain ribbon for about $5. No one is going to challenge me on whether it's official hatband ribbon or not!!!
mwilbury

Post by mwilbury »

Haha, I’m in your camp. Thanks for the info!
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

Just as a follow up...Getting ready for Free Comic Book Day this Saturday...I've finally changed out the hat band to a black one (although not the right width) and re-worked my mask with some matte paint and a gold sticker. I have ordered a new hat but it won't be here for a few weeks yet. I will update you when the new one comes in. Let's Roll!
Attachments
IMG_0339.jpeg
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

The mask turned out great.
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

Ben Bentley wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:20 am The mask turned out great.
Thanks, Ben. It's still a bit shiny even with the satin paint.
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

Looking good. I took a stab at modifying my GH hat by trimming the brim 1/4". Used a Western Brim Cutter which takes off 1/8" at a time. Not a huge difference, but it looks a little better.
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

DrewMasie wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:58 pm Looking good. I took a stab at modifying my GH hat by trimming the brim 1/4". Used a Western Brim Cutter which takes off 1/8" at a time. Not a huge difference, but it looks a little better.
I haven't trimmed this hat since I'm going to use it for my 40's GH outfit. It will be interesting to see how the new hat looks next to this one.
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

I received my new hat today and it's an awesome custom hat...although the color is an olive green as opposed to a forest green. Thoughts? I think it clashes color-wise.
Attachments
IMG_0419.jpeg
IMG_0422.jpeg
BatToys

Post by BatToys »

GMartin58 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:23 pm I received my new hat today and it's an awesome custom hat...although the color is an olive green as opposed to a forest green. Thoughts? I think it clashes color-wise.
The hat color looks pretty good and the brim looks more accurate. His hat seemed more twilby style. Is that band 2 in?
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

Yes, the band is 2". The color just doesn't seem right. The hat on the right is the one Clint at CY Productions sells from the same hat maker. The hatter and I are discussing and he's going to check come Monday.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-06-02 at 5.09.04 PM.png
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

GMartin58 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:23 pm I received my new hat today and it's an awesome custom hat...although the color is an olive green as opposed to a forest green. Thoughts? I think it clashes color-wise.
The honest answer, although i'm sure a beautifully made hat, that shade of olive green completely throws off the great existing color scheme you have going on with your coat and mask.

As far as the hat band goes, given that everyone's heads are different sizes, the band needs to be scaled relative to the height of the hat rather than basing it on an exact measurement.