What kind of hat style did the Green Hornet wear and what color was it?

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

BatToys

Re: What kind of hat style did the Green Hornet wear and what color was it?

Post by BatToys »

Scott Sebring wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:47 am
BatToys wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:42 am Scott, May I share your photos with Art's Batman group?
What Batman group by Art?
Batman Collectors.
BatToys

Post by BatToys »

The high end hat company said Celadon color would match the new picture I sent. Check it out the color (hat style for GH would be different.)

To me the Green Hornet hat seems a bit more greener.

Scott, your hat color seems closer to the real one but the fedora seems cut more flamboyant Indiana Jones style? Van's had a closer more conservative cut from pennyworths pictures.

Does anyone know the company that made the screen used Green Hornet hat? Did Greenway buy it off the rack or was it custom?
Attachments
Screenshot_20230309_143212_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20230308_174702_Samsung Internet.jpg
BatToys

Post by BatToys »

Did the guy who brought Van the screen used Green Hornet mask know the whereabouts of the hat? If he had the original mask, he would have tried to buy the hat too.

Since they sold the mask, someone must have bought the hat and coat. And for some reason are keeping it a secret.
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

BatToys wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:58 pm Did the guy who brought Van the screen used Green Hornet mask know the whereabouts of the hat? If he had the original mask, he would have tried to buy the hat too.

Since they sold the mask, someone must have bought the hat and coat. And for some reason are keeping it a secret.
If your reason for trying to find the exact color and style is for a cosplay then I suggest it's more important that the hat you choose looks good on you, and complements the shape of your face. As mentioned before a milliner can trim the brim and change the hat band.

Even if it were possible to locate THE hat Van wore, there's no guarantee it wouldn't have faded after nearly 60 years. I seriously doubt someone is "keeping it a secret". And if they are they probably are wealthy, own an original Black Beauty, and have their own secret lair.

If you intend to wear your costume in public it will likely look different under different lighting conditions, so it's probably best if the colors of your coat, hat, and mask are close to the same shade. The bright green urethane GH masks, for example, often look "off", which is why I will take Scott's suggestion and repaint mine.

I made my own leather mask, and may repaint it using the Krylon Hunter Green, but then there's the problem of the the Hornet logo on the mask not being hand-painted and gold. You can really drive yourself mad trying to get everything "perfect".
BatToys

Post by BatToys »

I like my hat to be for everyday use and cosplay. It is a classy hat that is not a bright gaudy green.

Yes I concur that the hat has to be shaped to the individual person's face. I don't look like Van Williams so the hat is not going to be exact in shape.

There are some wealthy collectors who are very secretive. There's a guy who has a great Batman collection including the #1 Batmobile and the absolute best Detective 27. It just occurred to me there is a good chance he has the screen used Green Hornet mask, hat, and coat.
BatToys

Post by BatToys »

I asked a mutual acquaintance to find out if he has the screen used hat but he said he doesn't know him well enough to impose on asking for pictures and has no idea if he does have the hat.
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

DrewMasie wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:39 am You can really drive yourself mad trying to get everything "perfect".
You said a mouthful there DrewMasie! You can indeed go down the proverbial hornet hole with this stuff. There is NEVER going to be the PERFECT cosplay outfit unless you actually own the original pieces...but it's been nearly 60 years so unless the originals were kept in absolute pristine conditions...they would most likely have faded or changed color.

BatToys...I feel you here. I've been down that path. I STILL go down that path ((anyone artistic enough to paint a gold emblem on a mask)) but you will go insane trying to reach the unreachable. My humble 2 cents worth.
BatToys

Post by BatToys »

GMartin58 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:56 am
BatToys...I feel you here. I've been down that path. I STILL go down that path ((anyone artistic enough to paint a gold emblem on a mask)) but you will go insane trying to reach the unreachable. My humble 2 cents worth.
It was fun researching this. I like Scott's photograph of Van Williams wearing the screen used mask. I didn't know it was hand-painted with fluorescent paint. It was good to find out the original hat is missing. Every fan made hat then is going to be individually unique. Like you said close enough will have to do.

Does anyone make the mask that is hand painted with fluorescent highlights?
BatToys

Post by BatToys »

I plan to go to their hat store in downtown Chicago to see the Celadon color in person. But downtown Chicago has become very violent so I'm a bit hesitant. My cousin who's a Chicago police officer tells us to avoid downtown. The times I've been there it seems very safe on Michigan Avenue with all the crowds but then you see in the news occasional gunshots during daytime. The city needs a Batman and a Green Hornet.
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

BatToys wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:27 pm
Does anyone make the mask that is hand painted with fluorescent highlights?
Very unlikely, it would be too time consuming and costly to hand paint a 1inch logo on a mask that sells for $100 or less. Getting a descent sticker of the logo is hard enough. Maybe if you know someone that paints Warhammer miniatures they might have the skills to attempt it.

Many cosplayers do try to deal with problems like this in creative ways. Based on this discussion I purchased some gold metallic Testors paint to see how it looks brushed over the yellow background of the sticker. If that doesn't work, I may try carefully cutting the Hornet out and adhere it to some gold craft foil. I have a 1 inch circle punch I use to make my own stickers.

I think it would be cool to get a custom metal stamp made of the Hornet logo so it could be stamped on leather or gold foil, then that could be painted. It may be too small for that, but could probably get the body, head, and wings, and maybe carve in the legs with other tools.

You might be able to get the logo printed by a professional printer that has access to metallic inks and fluorescent spot colors. Might require a vector graphic version of the logo, but should be possible. There's an online company called StickerGiant that might be able to do it.They could even die cut it to the appropriate size.

But the question remains: Even if you carefully create a hand-painted logo mask, no one will be able to see it from 5-10 feet away at a convention, and it will probably be obscured by the hat, so why bother?

Would probably be better to invest in better weapon props or a tailored coat in my view.
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

DrewMasie...I found an adhesive back gold foil inkjet printer paper and printed mine on that. It's not 100% (seems nothing is) but it's pretty darned good.
Attachments
IMG_0211.jpeg
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

GMartin58 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:47 am DrewMasie...I found an adhesive back gold foil inkjet printer paper and printed mine on that. It's not 100% (seems nothing is) but it's pretty darned good.
That is good. May have to give that a try. Do you know the brand?

It occurred to me that you could print the Hornet graphic on clear sticker paper then adhere that to gold foil or craft paper.
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

DrewMasie wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:50 amThat is good. May have to give that a try. Do you know the brand?
OnlineLabels.com They have several options. I picked up the full sheet and cut it myself but they have the 1" circles as well that might be the ticket. One sheet would get you a lifetime supply!!

https://www.onlinelabels.com/products/o ... src=mp-306

In looking at the pictures that Scott posted there's a definite black outline to the logo that I didn't do. Actually I had a thin one that I used as a template to cut them out and most of it was cut away. Going to have to do it AGAIN!
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

GMartin58 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:47 am DrewMasie...I found an adhesive back gold foil inkjet printer paper and printed mine on that. It's not 100% (seems nothing is) but it's pretty darned good.
Looking cool!
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

GMartin58 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:58 am
DrewMasie wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:50 amThat is good. May have to give that a try. Do you know the brand?
OnlineLabels.com They have several options. I picked up the full sheet and cut it myself but they have the 1" circles as well that might be the ticket. One sheet would get you a lifetime supply!!

In looking at the pictures that Scott posted there's a definite black outline to the logo that I didn't do. Actually I had a thin one that I used as a template to cut them out and most of it was cut away. Going to have to do it AGAIN!
Did you have a die cutter? Where did you buy it? Or did you use a cricut printer?
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!