What kind of hat style did the Green Hornet wear and what color was it?

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

BatToys

What kind of hat style did the Green Hornet wear and what color was it?

Post by BatToys »

If I went to a hat store and wanted them to make a Green Hornet hat, what kind of hat style is it and what was the exact color used?
A. Pennyworth

Re: What kind of hat style did the Green Hornet wear and what color was it?

Post by A. Pennyworth »

past topic
http://66batman.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8363&p=79873

I dont have a costume so perhaps a member who put one together can reply with what they went with.

Fedora/Trilby, perhaps Hunter Green,make sure hat color matches Chesterfield jacket.
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

The issue that I've found is that a fedora's brim is slightly too large and the trilby can be a bit too short. The one that Clint at CY Productions sells is pretty close although a bit $$.There is a company from France...https://www.bon-clic-bon-genre.us that has about the right color of green (I have one) but again, the fedora is more classic (40's) GH and the trilby is not quite right either. Good luck.
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

Yes the CY Production looks great!

I would have to guess that Vans hats were bought then customized to his head and face and brim was trimmed and shaped.
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

A. Pennyworth wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:50 pm I would have to guess that Vans hats were bought then customized to his head and face and brim was trimmed and shaped.
No doubt and if you look carefully...they do appear to change between early episodes. The other issue with the ones from France is that they only come with green hat bands so you'll have to change them out.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I don't know much about the GH but I do know a lot about hats-- Fedora's go from short brim to full cowboy/The Shadow brims-- I've always thought the GH wore a Trilby.
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

It looks like A. Pennyworth has a site with info:

http://apennyworth.batcave.net/greenhornetcostume.html
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

I have one of the CY hats, and as I mentioned in a previous discussion, it is high quality (and $$), but it doesn't look that great on me. The hatmaker he uses is https://www.lawdoghatcompany.com/ out of Billings, Montana, so you may be able to go directly through Randy Rains and save some money if you go that route. Clint hasn't updated his website since the Jurrasic period, so the prices there may be inaccurate.

For the record shopping for hats of a particular color online is problematic. I had a very hard time trying to determine if some hats were dark green or black from the photos. In some of the early promotional photos Van is wearing a dark grey Chesterfield coat and a grey hat with a black band, so there is some room for interpretation.

If you search previous threads I posted some images with several different hats. Here's a link to my CY hat.

download/file.php?id=9079

One other thing, a good hatmaker (as opposed to a shop that only sells hats) should be able to trim the brim for you and reshape it if needed. You can take off like 1/8 or 1/4 inch and it will change the look.

I plan to cosplay as Green Hornet at this year's WonderCon in Anaheim at the end of this month (Sunday, March 26). Maybe I'll see some of you there.
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

I think the early promo photos showing Van in his early style mask suffer from some inaccurate color hue, film processing, reprints issue perhaps??(And also the subsequent mask promo photos also.) Here are two photos from the same photo session, to me, on my computer, the one on the right show a more green tone to his hat and coat. ( compare the similar blue color of the inner sleeve of his coat, and differing flesh tones of each), so looking at photos sometimes exact color/hue is confusing as they didn't capture/photograph/reprint well.
Attachments
GHSuitColor.jpg
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

A. Pennyworth wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:14 pm I think the early promo photos showing Van in his early style mask suffer from some inaccurate color hue, film processing, reprints issue perhaps??(And also the subsequent mask promo photos also.) Here are two photos from the same photo session, to me, on my computer, the one on the right show a more green tone to his hat and coat. ( compare the similar blue color of the inner sleeve of his coat, and differing flesh tones of each), so looking at photos sometimes exact color/hue is confusing as they didn't capture/photograph/reprint well.
Very true. The picture on the right looks more accurate since the black collar, hatband, and tie look correct. The mask looks green, but the coat and hat look more gray to me.
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

I would think the best source for color match would be the Hornet episodes on the Batman Blueray.
I'm not sure if this image is from the Blueray since I cant capture it myself.
Attachments
MV5BOGE0ZGY3OGQtYWEzNi00MDY5LWEzM2MtNDc2YjhjMWM3NjQxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTY4MjQ0NzU@._V1_.jpg
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

rsaffle wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:04 pm I would think the best source for color match would be the Hornet episodes on the Batman Blueray.
I'm not sure if this image is from the Blueray since I cant capture it myself.
Good idea. Although my experience has been that people at conventions don't care if you're outfit is 100% screen accurate, or for a lesser-known character like GH, don't even know what he's supposed to look like. But do whatever makes you happy.
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

raw bluray captures no auto photoshop alterations. I would say the mask is most green, then the hat, then the jacket, but it depends on lighting and photo processing as always
Attachments
vlcsnap-2023-03-02-20h38m45s136.png
vlcsnap-2023-03-02-20h38m08s16.png
vlcsnap-2023-03-02-20h37m42s26.png
vlcsnap-2023-03-02-20h37m35s212.png
vlcsnap-2023-03-02-20h37m27s126.png
vlcsnap-2023-03-02-20h36m02s32.png
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Those are great Pennyworth and I think Andy was right about the hat being a Trilby style.
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

Pennyworth...these are great screen grabs (you beat me to it!). The downside is that the lighting is subdued so I get that the color still appears darker than it really is.. How would these look in bright light. BUT! I do believe that the actual colors are darker than we usually think. I know my coat and hat are a lot brighter green than this even though they look pretty good!