What kind of hat style did the Green Hornet wear and what color was it?

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

DrewMasie

Re: What kind of hat style did the Green Hornet wear and what color was it?

Post by DrewMasie »

GMartin58 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:25 pm
While it's a nice hat...I think it's going to get returned. **sigh**
That's a shame, but it does reinforce what we said before about the difficulty finding the right style and color. Looks like a nice hat though.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Do you have a local hat shop or hat maker? They can take off that 1/4”, and touch up anything else you require (hat band).
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
gerryd54

Post by gerryd54 »

according to that ridiculous movie he was the Grey Hornet
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

Lou Szabo wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:26 am Do you have a local hat shop or hat maker? They can take off that 1/4”, and touch up anything else you require (hat band).
I do NOT have a local hatter...but that thought has occurred to me...IF I can find one. It may require boxing it up and sending it to a reputable hat shop.
BatToys

Post by BatToys »

Has anyone asked Chuck Williams if he will make a Green Hornet hat, coat, and mask? He's very meticulous and strives for accurate detail. If anyone can get it accurate he can.
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

BatToys wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:24 am Has anyone asked Chuck Williams if he will make a Green Hornet hat, coat, and mask? He's very meticulous and strives for accurate detail. If anyone can get it accurate he can.
The thing is...you can obviously find hats that are really close to whatever the original was. Clint Young's is pretty good and so is the Baron's hat. BUT...if any of you are like me, I just don't have an unlimited Britt Reid income. I can afford a $70 hat but $200-$700 is outside my means. Same with owning a Factory Entertainment sting. I've seen it and played with it. (Some of you have one). It's nice. Not 100% accurate but then... $500 is outside my budget and quite honestly I wouldn't want to carry it around to a convention for fear someone would break it.

Plus...I get satisfaction from being able to make something from nothing. It lets me have some skin in the game as opposed to just buying everything.

(Is this my way of saying...I'M CHEAP?! LMAO....)
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

Lou Szabo wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:26 am Do you have a local hat shop or hat maker? They can take off that 1/4”, and touch up anything else you require (hat band).
I'm no expert, but I think some of these less expensive hats are made of a synthetic/wool blend that may not cut the same way as a felt hat made from higher-quality fur felt. A milliner could tell for sure, but if it has a pencil roll or finished edge it may leave more of a ragged edge if cut. They could probably finish the edge for you, but by then you've probably invested another $60, plus the cost of the new ribbon, so maybe another $30 -$50 or so. I think I paid about $280 total a few years ago for my hat from Law Dog Hat Company in Billings, Montana, the shop that Clint Young goes through.

After a quick google search, I found this example from Nathan Mason Hats out of Huntsville, Alabama using a pretty cool tool:
BatToys

Post by BatToys »

BatToys wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:24 am Has anyone asked Chuck Williams if he will make a Green Hornet hat, coat, and mask? He's very meticulous and strives for accurate detail. If anyone can get it accurate he can.
Chuck replied no as others are already making them.
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

Ok...I did a test that seemed to work out well-ish. I grabbed a piece of green plastic from my recycles and painted a section gold...then printed out the hornet logo on some water slide transfer paper and voila! It actually looks pretty good. NOW...my ink jet printer is SHITE...so the print is bad but the concept works. I'll be buying some laser water slide decal paper and my local print shop has agreed to print it for me.

**** Please Stand By ***
Attachments
IMG_0231.jpeg
BatToys

Post by BatToys »

GMartin58 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:53 pm ...so the print is bad but the concept works. I'll be buying some laser water slide decal paper and my local print shop has agreed to print it for me.

**** Please Stand By ***
Will their printer also add the green fluorescent spots that can be seen in the mask the older Van Williams wears? Or should they be hand-painted on the 17 areas to be accurate?
Attachments
Screenshot_20230316_103856_Samsung Internet.jpg
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

BatToys wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:47 pm
GMartin58 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:53 pm ...so the print is bad but the concept works. I'll be buying some laser water slide decal paper and my local print shop has agreed to print it for me.

**** Please Stand By ***
Will their printer also add the green fluorescent spots that can be seen in the mask the older Van Williams wears? Or should they be hand-painted on to be accurate?
I added some of those highlights in photoshop...but didn't make them bright enough. When I get the paper, I'll see how it comes out. But yes, there is the option of adding them after.
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

So, I had a digital artist convert the GH logo into a vector file. Attached is a PNG of the image with a transparent background. I printed this on gold sticker paper and it came out pretty well. Feel free to use it if you want.
Attachments
PXL_20230323_015525216~2.jpg
HONEY BEE-02.png
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

GMartin58 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:53 pm
**** Please Stand By ***
I had a digital artist convert the GH logo into a vector file and omitted the yellow fill. Attached is a PNG of the result. I printed it on gold foil stickers paper and it came out pretty well.
Attachments
HONEY BEE-02.png
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

DrewMasie wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:01 pm
GMartin58 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:53 pm
**** Please Stand By ***
I had a digital artist convert the GH logo into a vector file and omitted the yellow fill. Attached is a PNG of the result. I printed it on gold foil stickers paper and it came out pretty well.
BRILLIANT!!! Thanks! Of course I spent a couple hours working in Photoshop to get a half-assed version! LOL!! But VECTOR is GREAT!!! You ROCK!!!!
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

Nice, much cleaner than my version I made years ago uploaded to my costume site!
Attachments
GHMaskLogo.jpg