What kind of hat style did the Green Hornet wear and what color was it?

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Re: What kind of hat style did the Green Hornet wear and what color was it?

Post by Scott Sebring »

Lou Szabo wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:51 am Did you have a die cutter? Where did you buy it? Or did you use a cricut printer?
I think I used a nickel to cut around it when I did mine. Lol
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

Scott Sebring wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:31 am
Lou Szabo wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:51 am Did you have a die cutter? Where did you buy it? Or did you use a cricut printer?
I think I used a nickel to cut around it when I did mine. Lol
SCISSORS!
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

I used a water slide decal on a painted gold circle. I tried the water decal on a reflective gold vinyl but it didn't work very well. I think I sealed the whole mask with clear satin spray paint.
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

rsaffle wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:03 pm I used a water slide decal on a painted gold circle. I tried the water decal on a reflective gold vinyl but it didn't work very well. I think I sealed the whole mask with clear satin spray paint.
That's my next try. Thanks for reminding me!
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

Here's a link to a circle die cutter from Fiskars:

Fiskars 174360-1001 Medium Circle Squeeze Punch, 1 Inch, White , Navy Blue https://a.co/d/2JDxs6q

This is 1 inch, and I believe the actual logo is 3/4 inch.
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

Interesting conundrum...to figure out what the actual size of the mask insignia is. Clint Young's measures 18.73mm or 0.773in. The one I did is 18.56mm or 0.730in...just slightly smaller than Clint's. A nickel measures 21.31mm or 0.839 slightly larger.

I guess like all things...it depends on how it looks!
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

The difference is about the width of the black circle. If I print on gold foil I would use the circle as a guide and try to stay on or inside the line.

BTW, that place Greg listed for the Gold foil has gold foil stickers in 0.75 inches. Might be difficult to get the printing to line up exactly, but would be cleaner than trying to cut it out with scissors. I broke one of my cheap circle die cutters on a gold foil sheet I tested today. It didn't work on the vinyl.

Man, the trouble we go through for a stupid bug logo.
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

DrewMasie wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:18 pm Man, the trouble we go through for a stupid bug logo.
Ain't that the truth!!! I'm embarrassed to say....

Also...my new hat should be here tomorrow or Wednesday and I'll take pictures!
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

GMartin58 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:26 pm
DrewMasie wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:18 pm Man, the trouble we go through for a stupid bug logo.
Ain't that the truth!!! I'm embarrassed to say....

Also...my new hat should be here tomorrow or Wednesday and I'll take pictures!
Looking forward to seeing it!
gerryd54

Post by gerryd54 »

Here is some info which might help answer some of the various questions that have been raised in this thread: I wrote a letter to Van in 1985 when he was still living in Pacific Pallisades and asked him about the costumes and props on the Green Hornet and here is what he said ( I'm paraphrasing): when the show was cancelled, everything disappeared, all the Britt Reid suits, GH coats, of which there were approx. five , made of, a silk/wool blend, the masks of which there were five to seven etc. One morning every thing was gone. End of story.
Over the years, photos of various gas guns and stings have shown up. Two items have been verified and sold at auction: one gas gun and one Hornet Sting. One mask has shown up, the one that Scott showed photos of. The only thing that Van really collects is guns so he doesn't keep things from various shows that he has done, it's just a job to him.
I've been putting together my own Hornet costume since 1988, trying to improve it along the way and this is what I found: I've had two hats made by Baron Hats, the most recent last year costing $770 and they are both excellent. They offer two different greens , the one to go with is Forest Green.
The coat; the first one I got from CY Productions was nice in terms of the fabric which I understand is no longer available, with some modifications the coat was very nice. The second coat was a mistake, wrong color, wrong fabric, but it was all that was available.
I have five masks: 2 from CY and three from other sources, I believe two of them came from South America, all had to be modified in terms of width and color. I had an eggshell green mixed at Ace Hardware and I brushed it on and it looks great.
Gloves : I got a great pair online and added the snaps myself
Loafers; I bought a vintage pair on ebay and it looks like I stole them from Van, I got very lucky
The scarf, I use velcro to hold it in place and it does the job, remember, left over right when putting the scarf on.
Gas gun/sting: Factory Entertainment however the gas gun used on the show was actually silver with a grey barrel with the exception of the episode Programmed for Death where they use the more familiar two tone green which is also on the covers of the three comic books but on the show it's silver and grey. I made my own sting and it looks very good.
GMartin58: the size of the decal on your mask is the least of your problems. You're getting a new hat and that's good, your mask is too glossy and too small. Your coat is the wrong color green, too light, go darker if you can. I purchased decals and painted them myself with the gold and fluorescent colors, it's not hard. Good luck
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

gerryd54! Thank you for the great insight into the props and costumes! As many of us have said in the past...this is a process to getting the right look and many times you have to use what you have or what's available and work it from there.
gerryd54

Post by gerryd54 »

Exactly, there was no message board when I started out and precious few photos. However I wouldn't trade that for anything, the detective work is fun but at times frustrating.
BatToys

Post by BatToys »

gerryd54, Thank you for the fascinating update on what happened to the TV costumes. There must be five to seven screen used hats that exist. I guess it went to production staff or crew They probably weren't collectors but just used it for Halloween or something so all that stuff must be worn out or thrown away.

In an interview Van had contempt for superhero costumes so it's a pity he never thought to keep any for himself.
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

gerryd54 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:11 am Exactly, there was no message board when I started out and precious few photos. However I wouldn't trade that for anything, the detective work is fun but at times frustrating.
Do you have any photos of yourself in the GH costume? I'd love to see what you were able to put together.
gerryd54

Post by gerryd54 »

I'd love to but I have no idea how to post a photo, it's just too complicated for me. If it was as easy as facebook that would be great but for someone as technically challenged as myself it doesn't seem to be in the cards