GH Villains

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

GMartin58

GH Villains

Post by GMartin58 »

I've been reading "The Green Hornet Casefiles" and in the Foreword, Ron Fortier discusses one of the things that makes the Green Hornet unique...the fact that Britt Reid has to be three people in one. The businessman that runs the Sentinel; the Hornet who fights crime that no one really gets and the Hornet that is a criminal (at least to everyone else. It makes him an extremely complicated person.

But a thought also hit me this morning that you've probably already thought of...while every other crime-fighter has a set of standard, recurring, flamboyant villains, the Green Hornet doesn't have one. He just fights crime. Corruption, racketeering, whatever regular old crime there is that none of the other superheroes seem to care about. (Granted..they are busy saving the world from alien invaders and demented asylum escapees.)

This is what intrigues me the most about the Hornet. The way Fran Stryker created him...he's just one of us that cares that wrong doing is...well...wrong.

Feel free to refute or correct my assumptions...Thoughts from the group?
BatToys

Re: GH Villains

Post by BatToys »

Maybe he has no flamboyant villains because the Green Hornet lives in the real world?
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

That's a good point. While all the other crime-fighter/super heroes out there seem like only what you'd read in the pages of a comic book...just about any city could have a Green Hornet.
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Don't forget about us. Lol
Attachments
MV5BOWI0ODdhZTktMDI5MS00YWU1LTg5MzctODMyZTZmNmIzN2UxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTAxMTU3Mzk@._V1_.jpg
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

LMAO!!! RSaffle...I think that's completely a one-off. When I saw that episode I knew this was the network trying to get the Green Hornet to be more like Batman. AND! While I absolutely am in love with Vama (Linda Gaye Scott)...NO ONE BEATS KATO!!!
striker

Post by striker »

GMartin58 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:34 pm I've been reading "The Green Hornet Casefiles" and in the Foreword, Ron Fortier discusses one of the things that makes the Green Hornet unique...the fact that Britt Reid has to be three people in one. The businessman that runs the Sentinel; the Hornet who fights crime that no one really gets and the Hornet that is a criminal (at least to everyone else. It makes him an extremely complicated person.

But a thought also hit me this morning that you've probably already thought of...while every other crime-fighter has a set of standard, recurring, flamboyant villains, the Green Hornet doesn't have one. He just fights crime. Corruption, racketeering, whatever regular old crime there is that none of the other superheroes seem to care about. (Granted..they are busy saving the world from alien invaders and demented asylum escapees.)

This is what intrigues me the most about the Hornet. The way Fran Stryker created him...he's just one of us that cares that wrong doing is...well...wrong.

Feel free to refute or correct my assumptions...Thoughts from the group?
I posted a comment about the Hornet recurring villains in another thread. Here is my old post.
viewtopic.php?p=71504#p71504

The Hornet is indeed considered a criminal not just from the point of view of the law but he is feared by other criminal gangs. You can see this in at least a couple of TV episodes where he comes face to face with other crime bosses. This characteristic makes him very unique and it is fertile ground for any screen writer for character study and development. Here are some quotes from a promotional spot for the TV show.

"Why is this man sought by those on both sides of the law? He is not the two bit kind of thug you are used to dealing with. He is clever and he is dangerous."
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

striker wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:24 pm I posted a comment about the Hornet recurring villains in another thread. Here is my old post.

Thanks for that link Striker. It hard sometimes to think about digging back through the archives. Oddly, I was not aware of the 3 recurring villains but I will be doing a lot more listening to the old radio shows to get up to speed.

I do think that because of what Batman was and how it was created in the comics that the villains are equally flamboyant. In the old Batman serials the criminals were like the Hornet's, more run of the mill criminals.
striker

Post by striker »

GMartin58 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:11 am
striker wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:24 pm I posted a comment about the Hornet recurring villains in another thread. Here is my old post.

Thanks for that link Striker. It hard sometimes to think about digging back through the archives. Oddly, I was not aware of the 3 recurring villains but I will be doing a lot more listening to the old radio shows to get up to speed.

I do think that because of what Batman was and how it was created in the comics that the villains are equally flamboyant. In the old Batman serials the criminals were like the Hornet's, more run of the mill criminals.
You are 200% right. Some of Batman villains are flamboyant specially the most famous villain "the Joker". That is a key differentiation for the Batman series.

Hornet on the other hand was set in the realm of gangland. I am thinking of the prohibition era. To me, he is more like an "Eliot Ness" with a mask, a fast car and one crime fighting partner. The villains are dressed up just like the Hornet in a suit and fedora but they are outright scary and ruthless. I am thinking of Al Capone. The FizzFop1 YouTube channel has an excellent review of the golden age Hornet worth watching.

https://youtu.be/rDd6I679fYU