How GH & Kato Saved My Life!

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

GMartin58

How GH & Kato Saved My Life!

Post by GMartin58 »

In May 2019 our only adult son committed suicide and my whole world fell apart. He was my best friend and after his death nothing mattered anymore, both my health and appearance suffered. It was all my wife and I could do to get up in the mornings. I took early retirement after a 40+ year career in broadcasting and let my hair, my beard and myself go. My weight ballooned to over 230 pounds and even though I’ve been a vegetarian for years and more recently a vegan, I just ate to console myself. We moved back to Washington State to be with the grandkids and to try to make sense of what happened.

One night in bed I was reading an old Green Hornet comic online and made the comment to my wife that it would be fun to do a cosplay as the Hornet. I had been getting myself prepared to be a professional Santa Claus at that point so I could just be a fat, bearded old man. But my wife quickly agreed that she’d always liked the Hornet and Van Williams was a hunk! Over the next few days I took a really hard look at where I was. My son was gone and at the rate I was going, I was going to be following him very soon with a massive stroke. I’ve always been a big fan of Bruce Lee and it hit me that I was double his age when he died. 32 - 64. I was the same height as well, 5’ 7”. Could a guy like me get into a pseudo Bruce Lee shape? Bruce weighed in at about 140-145 so that has been my goal. It has taken me a couple of years of hard work and following a strict whole food, plant-based diet, walking 3.5 to 6 miles a day but my goal is in sight. (I still don’t have the Bruce Lee muscles but I’ve gone from XXL clothes to Med)

I feel great…I have a lot of energy…and the whole GH cosplay has given we a sense of purpose and one of the reasons I’m always asking questions!! I know my cosplay is not perfect but unless you were using the actual TV show/Van Williams worn costumes…they are going to be derivations. What matters most to me are the smiles and comments I get when I’m at an event and people recognize the Hornet.

I credit the Green Hornet & Kato with saving my life! ****Let's Roll Kato!****
rsaffle

Re: How GH & Kato Saved My Life!

Post by rsaffle »

We have become friends through your cosplay and our similar interests. I experienced a time that I was told my oldest son would not live past the weekend but I still have him 31 years later. I have wondered what it would have changed in me if I did lose him. I'm sorry for what you have gone through but I am equally impressed with how you chose to respond. Here's to your continued good health and I'm happy for whatever part this group and I play in supporting you.

Let's role Kato!
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Lately a number of our friends have lost their oldest children, and it is heartbreaking. I don’t think you ever get over it, so much as you learn to live with it. My Hornet hat is off to you. Keep up the good fight and raise those grandchildren well.

I swear these heroes and their codes helped all of us be better people.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Lounge lizard

Post by Lounge lizard »

Very sorry to hear of your loss. There can't be many tougher knocks to come back from. Well done on finding the motivation to get yourself back into shape. I hope you'll have many more years ahead with your Mrs, your Grand-children and all the people you meet in your Green Hornet gear.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Wow, thanks for sharing such a candid and personal story, Greg. I'm very sorry for your loss, i'm not a parent admittedly, but it seems almost fathomable.

I've said it many times here and no doubt will say it many more, my fandom of the '66 Batman and Green Hornet shows and the conversations, friends and experiences that have resulted from that fandom continue to make my life so much richer.

We're more than happy that you're not only with us here on the Message Board, but it's a blast to see you out there in the world in costume representing a character and TV show that we love and doesn't get the kudos he deserves!
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

I appreciate the lovely comments from everyone. Just to be clear...I wasn't looking for sympathy but wanted to share why this is so very important to me at this moment in time. My son loved to do cosplay as well and did an incredible Ghostbuster. Little kids especially would stare at him and say, "WOW...a REAL Ghostbuster!"

The Green Hornet makes me happy. Talking about the Green Hornet makes me happy. Dressing up and making other people smile makes me happy. People who call me "The Riddler" DON'T make me happy and I hand then a card that I made up that gives them some background on GH! Lol...they won't make the same mistake twice!

During my career in radio I used to sign off my show like this: "Remember that everyone has something going on in their life that no one knows about...so BE KIND!" There's NO room for people to be mean...and that goes from the grocery store to the GH Forum. I appreciate all of you!
Attachments
IMG_7397.jpeg
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Amazing journey and your candidness gives us a perspective we couldn't have without it. The sentiment that you never know what someone else is going through carries with me everyday-- I see someone driving crazy I assume they are rushing to a loved one at the hospital-- a clerk is rude I assume they just got some bad news. Kindness goes a very long way in keeping all of our stress down.

You make a great Green Hornet and your story is inspiring to all of us.
Sic Semper Fidelis.
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

“Remember that everyone has something going on in their life that no one knows about...so BE KIND!"

Wise words.