Did anyone on the board purchase this Van Williams face cast?

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

BiffPow

Did anyone on the board purchase this Van Williams face cast?

Post by BiffPow »

Did anyone on this board purchase the Van Williams plaster cast (and signed reproduction mask)? This auction was in 2018.

https://us.propstoreauction.com/view-au ... lot/32269/
SprangFan

Re: Did anyone on the board purchase this Van Williams face cast?

Post by SprangFan »

The link says the auction ended with the item unsold?
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

I seem to remember this coming up for auction at least once if not twice over the years.

For the record, this face cast is actually Van's stuntman, Bennie Dobbins and with the mask being a repro, I feel like this item potentially ranks a lot less desirable/valuable to the broader collector market than if this was Van himself and/or at least a show-used mask, even if it was a stunt-mask.
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Ben Bentley wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:11 pm I seem to remember this coming up for auction at least once if not twice over the years.

For the record, this face cast is actually Van's stuntman, Bennie Dobbins and with the mask being a repro, I feel like this item potentially ranks a lot less desirable/valuable to the broader collector market than if this was Van himself and/or at least a show-used mask, even if it was a stunt-mask.
Probably why it didn’t sell. Still, an interesting item but who can be a good steward of all of these things that otherwise would be lost, destroyed and forgotten. There’s just so much stuff to preserve for history (if future generations care).
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

ezgif-5-f028de39c6.jpg
ezgif-5-f028de39c6.jpg (20.2 KiB) Viewed 2209 times
That mask was a licensed limited edition for the 30th anniversary of The Green Hornet signed by Van Williams.
Here is a photo of the COA. I have one with mine but can't seem to find it right now for a better image.

edit add: found one that shows an edition of 1000, not sure how many were actually signed? Mine is signed on the temple piece without a # added to it.
Attachments
van-williams-autographed-green-hornet_1_cfe095729c95ffbafcf654cc1f1bef40.jpg
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

A. Pennyworth wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:25 am ezgif-5-f028de39c6.jpgThat mask was a licensed limited edition for the 30th anniversary of The Green Hornet signed by Van Williams.
Here is a photo of the COA. I have one with mine but can't seem to find it right now for a better image.

edit add: found one that shows an edition of 1000, not sure how many were actually signed? Mine is signed on the temple piece without a # added to it.
Thats so cool Pennyworth! I'm jealous of that.

BTW, Bruce Lee life casts are very easy to find and all over Ebay.
Attachments
s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg (10.71 KiB) Viewed 2190 times
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

A. Pennyworth wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:25 am ezgif-5-f028de39c6.jpgThat mask was a licensed limited edition for the 30th anniversary of The Green Hornet signed by Van Williams.

A. Pennyworth...you should have it 3D scanned!
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

WOW! Someone made a ton and someone got ripped off!
$6,600 for one of these signed masks!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/364168374452?h ... 7675.l2557
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

“I believe to the best of my knowledge this is screen worn by van Williams, but I have no proof so its not listed as that.”

However, it looks like he relisted it, so maybe the original buyer found out it wasn’t screen worn and declined the purchase. On relisting, it only brought $355.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/364177688871
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

BiffPow, thanks, missed that relist sale!
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

So it looks like Van signed his name at least 3 different ways on these masks.
Attachments
VWMasks.jpg
SteveA

Post by SteveA »

GMartin58 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:42 am Another one...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155457616174?h ... R4rA8dXeYQ
I'm a little dubious about just what this guy is selling. He looks to have one of the limited addition Gold Foil signed mask. The lighter green yellow logo mask is, if memory serves the ones Van was selling at shows and on his website. I knew Van and did a show with him in the late 90s, he had a box of those mask shipped to my house and came over. We opened the box and he tried one on and I'm pretty sure in was the lighter green one piece with yellow logo mask.At any rate he looked so cool in it. Then he and my Friend Randy made some drinks, (Sky Vodka) for Van and went to the basement and watched a few episodes of the Green Hornet. I own 5 episodes on 16MM. Great Times.
Attachments
VAN MASK.jpg
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

The one you have marked in red looks a lot like the ones that Clint Young sells (I have one). I'm not sure where Clint got his original but it's VERY familiar.
SteveA

Post by SteveA »

GMartin58 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:47 pm The one you have marked in red looks a lot like the ones that Clint Young sells (I have one). I'm not sure where Clint got his original but it's VERY familiar.
Both of the ones with the yellow sticker were sold by Clint I believe. I'm not sure where Van got his from, they were shipped to my house by his agent Andrew and I don't know their origin. And while the memory is still there :lol: it was 26 years ago.