Rights on "Fury of the Dragon"/"Green Hornet"

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

exm

Rights on "Fury of the Dragon"/"Green Hornet"

Post by exm »

Anyone know what the rights situation is on the two "movies" that were released in the mid-70's to cash in on Bruce Lee's death? They were each 4 episodes of the show clumsily edited together. Since they were catering to the kung fu movie crowd, they borrowed brief segments from a variety of other episodes to turn what were originally brief TV fights into longer fights for the theater. That didn't quite work, but it was a novel approach.

I was thinking the theatrical release might be similar to the 1966 Batman movie in that it could be officially released, eve though the series itself couldn't. But as I've never seen either movie in a store, I assume a legit release wasn't possible.
Lounge lizard

Re: Rights on "Fury of the Dragon"/"Green Hornet"

Post by Lounge lizard »

As I understand it the DVD's were briefly legally released in the US until it was realised that the person who signed off on the deal didn't have the authority to do so.
However, it's very easy to get hold of both films legally via amazon.co.uk
Both films are available individually or a double pack on region free discs that will play on your US DVD player.
Both films are awfully edited, cropped* so that they look widescreen, but have some interesting extras.
The French version (Le Frelon Vert' is by far the best edition. It's in it's original 4:3 format, a much sharper picture and has the English soundtrack on.

*Cropped means a loss of picture from the top and bottom of the image to make it 16:9 widescreen. You're actually seeing less of the picture !
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

I still have both of these unopened. One of these days I have to take some time to watch them!
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Mr.Freeze

Post by Mr.Freeze »

Released in German/French/Italian/Turk/Japanese cinemas among others.....prolly not shown in US due to copy right.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Mr.Freeze wrote:Released in German/French/Italian/Turk/Japanese cinemas among others.....prolly not shown in US due to copy right.
I remember two VHS releases: one sold in the small video rack at Montogomery Ward with one of the well know studio photos of GH & K in a fight pose as the tape cover. The other tape (I believe it was the same content) featured a Kato cover.

The "movie" was a horrible cut & paste job: muddy, grainy picture, and--as another mentioned, the episodes were cut & paste, with episodes no longer making sense.
Beneath Wayne Manor
GeorgeKSaulters

Post by GeorgeKSaulters »

Sometimes the distribution rights and legal issues jump so much that it gives the need for pirated copy to run more. I think proper committees must be formed to make all this a speedy process, so that it can benefit such a large number of audience in the world.
P.S. I do own a legal copy and the movies are fantastic.
The Green Hornet

Post by The Green Hornet »

:D I have both compilation movies from 1974/1976 on DVD. :D