"My Living Doll" is on Amazon Prime

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Jim Akin

"My Living Doll" is on Amazon Prime

Post by Jim Akin »

I'm not sure how new this news is, but I hadn't noticed before: Amazon Prime video has 10 of the 26 episodes of the 1964-65 sitcom available to stream.

The show starred Julie Newmar as the title character, "Rhoda," a highly advanced robot who's superintelligent but clueless about human nature (Star Trek's Cmdr. Data, if he were a goddess). Bob Cummings co-stars as a psychiatrist trying to train her to become "the perfect woman."

I watched the first episode and a parts of a few others, and IMHO it's not hard to see why it didn't make it past one season. (Cummings quit before production even ended.) Ms. Newmar is radiant, however, and there are some fun guest appearances, cool exterior shots of greater LA in the mid-60s, and enjoyable views of period cars.
gothosmansion

Re: "My Living Doll" is on Amazon Prime

Post by gothosmansion »

Thanks for the heads-up. I plan on watching the episodes soon. However, aren't these the only ones that still exist? I thought I read that most of the episodes were lost.
dell

Post by dell »

I have never enjoyed watching Julie as the naïve "girl next door" type. I just don't think she does it well; especially after watching her playing the season 1 Catwoman. Give her a character with some teeth instead of an empty head.

I am not criticizing those that enjoy watching her in this kind of stuff; I am just saying it isn't for me.
dell
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Thanks for the heads up. I’ve only ever seen one episode of this show that had found its way online around 10 years ago. Looking forward to seeing L.A. in the 60’s, that never fails to appeal.