Commissioner Gordon Gets His Own Show

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

SprangFan

Commissioner Gordon Gets His Own Show

Post by SprangFan » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:51 am

Looks like our old pal Commissioner Gordon is returning to TV, only this time with no Batman around to help him out. Actually, the series will be about his pre-Commissioner days, but it sounds kind of interesting.

Of all the changes wrought by Frank Miller's take on the mythos, it looks like his transformation of James Gordon into an action hero in his own right is one of the most significant, and popular.

Yellow Oval

Re: Commissioner Gordon Gets His Own Show

Post by Yellow Oval » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:54 am

I don't know... This strikes me as another 'before the big story happened' show in the lines of Smallville, which I followed, but was a real let-down in the end.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"

Aerialprince

Post by Aerialprince » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:57 pm

I like this approach. I would love to watch Gotham Pd do their every day activities and see how they handle the crime in their city. There would be a lot of story lines they could work.
Hit up The Batsy Twins on Twitter to see where we will be appearing next with our Bat Bike:
@Thebatsytwins

Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:38 pm

Perhaps even the death of the Wayne family. It would be nice to see the contrast between the Waynes and the Luthors on Smallville.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!

dell

Post by dell » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:09 pm

People know Comissioner Gordon because of Batman, but there is no Batman. It could be very interesting, but I think it will have limited appeal because of the lack of the Caped Crusaders.
dell

SprangFan

Post by SprangFan » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:50 am

I don't know, the more I think about it, the less I "get" this.

Take away Batman and his assorted costumed villains, and what makes Gotham different from any other city? And consequently what will make this show any different from a million other generic "cop shows"? I'm not sure I understand how they'll keep people watching.

The current version of Gordon is, I think, to young to have been on the the force when the Waynes were murdered (at the least it'll take some tinkering with modern continuity, which has him transferred to Gotham after Bruce Wayne reaches majority). But let's say we do move him there earlier. If he's around when the Waynes are alive, we could see Thomas and Martha maybe get more screen time than they ever have to date, with some glimpses of their young son pre-tragedy. Or even if Gordon shows up after the Wayne murders, maybe we could meet crime bosses like Oswald Cobblepot or (if they follow Burton's storyline) hitman Jack Napier before they spiraled into "full weirdo" mode.

I suspect that will be the approach taken, not unlike "Smallville" where the audience knew more about Superman's future than Clark Kent did, so it became a game of constant foreshadowing and ten long (nigh interminable) years of "set up."

Anyway, it'll be a tricky juggling act. Even without superheroes, "SHIELD" still has gadgets and superspy action, but Gotham without Batman or supervillains is...what, exactly? Nothing special.

High C

Post by High C » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:33 pm

I'm looking forward to CSI: O'Hara.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17