Lewis Wilson BATMAN Fans?

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

AndyFish

Lewis Wilson BATMAN Fans?

Post by AndyFish »

Custom mego Lew Wilson figure!
Our studio designed the custom head and the rest of the figure is hand made on a Dr Mego body.Image
scottmandew

Re: Lewis Wilson BATMAN Fans?

Post by scottmandew »

That's so cool!
We thought we'd have to teach our son about the world. Turns out we have to teach the world about our son. They see a boy who cannot speak. We see a miracle who doesn't need words.
http://www.ourjourneywithoneofgodsmirac ... gspot.com/
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

My question Andy is: Are we sure LW's costume was powder blue in color? Also, while the figure is a noble attempt, the cowl's eye slits appear too large TO ME.

So, is there any color photos of the original costume?

John
Music. BAT! Music.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

The colors are based on Mr, Wilson's recollection.
There is a color photo of the cape that went up for auction a few years ago and I missed by one bid. It was a medium to light blue.
Mike Mulitsch

Post by Mike Mulitsch »

1st Off I own one of Mr Fish's Custom Lewis Wilson Figures I love it
and here is the Picture of the cape

Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

That is a great figure. I love the box! For the ultimate in realism, are the Bat-shorts split up the sides? :lol: I also like how the gloves/shorts color does not quite match the cowl/cape just like the serial.

I wish we would see a bit more merchandising from the serials. I know Batman Automobilia will be producing die-cast Batmobiles (such as they were) from them, and I am looking forward to those. The 1943 serial on VHS was the first item I ever bought at an American comic convention and despite the virulent anti-Japanese tone (forgivable in wartime) I just loved it and still watch it every year at least once.
He flies and fights-BATMAN!
Purity and virtue-BATMAN!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
Batman and Robin-caped crusaders at night!
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Mike, you own the ONLY other figure of our current run of four, and yours is number one in the run.

Lord Death Man, the '43 serial is my favorite take on Batman too. I sold my camera equipment as a teen in 1980 to buy a then very expensive VHS machine and a chained from film bootleg of the serial from my local comic shop. I paid $90 for a grainy sometimes dark and murky video and I loved every second of it. I was a little disappointed in the '49.

John, the pics are off a bit, we lined up all the details with a photo to make sure it was right, and went thru about sixteen castings before we got one that was what I wanted, something that was true to Wilson while still having some mego flaws. The fine folks at Figures Inc helped us out a great deal too.

May do a variant gray version for my own personal copy.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Very nifty. I am always amazed at colors used in black and white shows to represent colors the camera sees. Light blue and grey, like the comics. Any idea about the colors of the second serial?

I've only seen the figure in black and grey as shown here www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdq4OCxaQ1U
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

AndyFish wrote: Lord Death Man, the '43 serial is my favorite take on Batman too. I sold my camera equipment as a teen in 1980 to buy a then very expensive VHS machine and a chained from film bootleg of the serial from my local comic shop. I paid $90 for a grainy sometimes dark and murky video and I loved every second of it. I was a little disappointed in the '49.
Mine was probably the same maker. It was very dark and black. Whenever they fired the radium gun or had a loud explosion, the tape would disintegrate into static for a few moments as well. But I could not watch it enough and still have it, even though I have the much better DVD versions. The first official VHS versions were a disappointment as they redid much of the narration in the 1943 version to make it more politically correct and cut the running time of some of the 1949 episodes, very drastically in the first episode.

I too found the 1949 version not as good, although still very enjoyable. It was too 'wholesome'. Batman was even more friendly with the police than the TV version, Robin was too old (although the dark cape was a nice touch), and the Wizard was a pretty easygoing super villain (not the ruthless Daka-sama of the 1943 version).

Here is a two figure set that says it is from the 1949 serial that looks very nice. But it really looks to be from the 1943.

Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
maniac cop 5

Post by maniac cop 5 »

Those figures are great! I have loved the 43 serial ever since watching my cousin's condensed 8mm versions as a kid in the '60s. Funny, even though I'm half Japanese I never took offense to the references in the serial. I just always figured it was kind of a sign of the times and the rest of the movie was just so darn cool anyway! I paid $100 for a grainy VHS kitchen table copy of this back in the late 80's before it was even commericially released on VHS, never dreaming we would have clear dvd copies one day for cheap.
I actually have a 1/6 scale LW Batman that I commissioned several years ago and it too has the light blue color. Very similar to the color shot on the Screen Thrills Illustrated cover. Anyway, great job on that figure. I wish they were available commercially!
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

What is funny is that Columbia, who produced the serial with the anti-Japanese sentiment, is now a subsidiary of Japanese company Sony. But stranger is that Goodtimes changed the VO to be politically correct while Sony left the objectionable material intact.

Maybe someone should bring up serial-based figures with Figures, Inc. They seem amenable to doing more obscure figures, and anything Bat-related has a built in audience. If other vendors are making Batmobiles from the serials and selling poster reproductions, then one would presume it is a license that is available. Maybe Batman and Robin from the two serials with The Wizard and Daka-sama in three figure sets? And in boxes, not carded. Or Hot Toys!!!! One can dream!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

As you would know Lord Death Man, dreams can come true!
;)
We are working with two different companies in the hopes we can clear the licensing and have both a 12" and a 8" figure.
My VHS copy used to white out for a minute every time the ray gun went off too.
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

That would be wonderful! I would be there on day one!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

Szabol wrote:Very nifty. I am always amazed at colors used in black and white shows to represent colors the camera sees. Light blue and grey, like the comics. Any idea about the colors of the second serial?

I've only seen the figure in black and grey as shown here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdq4OCxaQ1U
The 1949 serial gave Batman a crimson cape and cowl (so was Robin's cape) as it photographed as black/dark blue. What an interesting looking set of figures that would make!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Better picture! This time with a camera instead of my iPad.