Lewis Wilson BATMAN Fans?

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Chuck Williams

Re: Lewis Wilson BATMAN Fans?

Post by Chuck Williams »

I agree that memory is not a sure thing. The older I get, the truer that becomes!

John told Alex it was a maroon red vest AND cape but it had to have been a different shade because a lot of the time they look different.
We are probably going green in a similar value as the vest for the Robin cape if it photographs correctly since our client is looking for a display piece and the green would look nicer in person.

I agree that there is a good possibility the 49 batsuit was the darker maroon of the Robin vest. I'll know better when I can photograph some of the other colors what looks like it will work.
I would imagine that a maroon Batman would be stuck in even the worst memory. We are thinking about offering it in black , blue and maroon.

Yep the 43 is a given Blue Batman and maroon Robin vest.

The Batsuit cape and cowl looks like it had two shades of blue and sometimes they got mixed and matched. One lighter and one darker.
Both were matching when worn together.
Attachments
c0a5cd139a910e7f9f5b4b52e1d910e6.jpg
c0a5cd139a910e7f9f5b4b52e1d910e6.jpg (41.3 KiB) Viewed 4385 times
batman-the-complete-1943-movie-serial-collection-20051110034642101-000.jpg
batman-the-complete-1943-movie-serial-collection-20051110034642101-000.jpg (85.21 KiB) Viewed 4385 times
n7rhnu-b88119930z.120140625225029000g0k38j30.10.jpg
n7rhnu-b88119930z.120140625225029000g0k38j30.10.jpg (19 KiB) Viewed 4385 times
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

I agree with Tony, That photo of 43 against the light backdrop is a real help for showing the actual length of Lew Wilson's cape. That's one more ? checked off of my list. Thanks.
Larry
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Appreciate the interest in a book on the serials, there are plenty of knowledgeable folks out there who could do an admirable job of it. Unfortunately I'm bogged down with prior commitments for the next few years with a few different publishers.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

We'll be happy to wait on You Andy!!!!!! Am I right Fellow Serial Bat Fans?????????

Cheers
Larry
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

One of the most interesting bits of trivia for the '43 serial is that newsboy who hands Bruce Wayne a paper in Chapter one. The "kid" is hammy and seems aware of the camera, a closer look reveals that it's Bob Kane himself. Odd that Kane didn't mention his starring appearance but then his memory of the serials is very faulty as he begrudged the use of a regular Mercury coupe as the Batmobile in the first serial. The reality is the '49 had the Mercury, the '43 used a '39 Caddilac. Many fans complain that there was no Batmobile, but if you look at the early Detective Comics Batman drives an ordinary sedan.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

If Folks have ever seen the early comics, Bat Man had at least one car that was a red convertible and its only nod to a Bat mobile was the bat hood ornament :!:

Cheers,
Larry
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

Chuck Williams wrote:I'm curious where the info that the batsuit and robins cape were reddish in the '49 serial ?
I'm in the process of nailing down colors for a client and according to John Duncan his vest was red/maroon and the Robin cape and Batsuit are two different values so I don't believe they were the same color.
Hello Mr. Williams,

My source was from Chapter Four (about the 1949 Serial, "Batman and Bossman") from the book "Billion Dollar Batman" by Bruce Scivally, a very well done book with lots of footnotes specifying sources. It says "both Robin's cape and Batman's cape and cowl were made of crimson cloth". This particular point is not footnoted for a source, but taken in the context of the paragraph it appears to have either been in a Filmfax interview with Johnny Duncan (#103) or an interview with Robert Lowery's son (interview with Bob Hanks on 2009/6/4). I hope this is helpful.
He flies and fights-BATMAN!
Purity and virtue-BATMAN!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
Batman and Robin-caped crusaders at night!
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Thank you very much Lord death Man!!! I'll follow up on these leads! :D
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Lord Death Man wrote: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:11 am My source was from Chapter Four (about the 1949 Serial, "Batman and Bossman") from the book "Billion Dollar Batman" by Bruce Scivally, a very well done book with lots of footnotes specifying sources. It says "both Robin's cape and Batman's cape and cowl were made of crimson cloth". This particular point is not footnoted for a source, but taken in the context of the paragraph it appears to have either been in a Filmfax interview with Johnny Duncan (#103) or an interview with Robert Lowery's son (interview with Bob Hanks on 2009/6/4). I hope this is helpful.
Just got the Kindle version of "Billion Dollar Batman" after seeing it mentioned a few times in the message board. I cannot tell you how great it is. Well worth the cost. The chapters on the 1966 Batman tv show are CRAMMED full of information that I've never seen before and I have a ton of books on the subject.
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11