Wireles router question; will I also need a modum?

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Darren Nemeth

Wireles router question; will I also need a modum?

Post by Darren Nemeth »

I am moving to a new place in a week or two.

I have a laptop and a desk PC. The PC will be in a bone dry basement. The laptop will be anywhere in my 80 by 80 foot property. I will not have a TV thus don't require cable but I need internet a connection.

I have a few questions. If I get a wireless router, do I also need a modem? Or are both the same?
The PC in the basement will be my main computer, I will run my internet business from it and it will receive the physical cable connection. Laptop will be for entertainment stuff and will get the wireless link.

Does the router double as a modem for the cable company or do I have to get something seperate? The reason for my asking is that where I am moving it is much more expensive to have internet and they charge $7 a month to rent a modem.

Please let me know my options. Thanks in advance.

Been looking at this router.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833146005

Will this transmit a strong signal so I can use the laptop in, say, a garage?
Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!
http://batboat.blogspot.com/

Darren Nemeth

Re: Wireles router question; will I also need a modum?

Post by Darren Nemeth »

Or...

do I just need this??

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6825122014

The cable company connects to it > it connects to my PC with ethernet cable > my laptop will pick up the signal anywhere in the house.

Right?
Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!
http://batboat.blogspot.com/

rajung

Post by rajung »

Hopefully I am helping if I read this right.
Depending how old your laptop is.
It needs WiFi ability, if not a "N" WiFi adapter will be needed, which will plug via USB, so it also needs a available USB port on it.
We now have Fiber optic so cable modem for me isn't used, but all other connections remained the same .
My desk top PC is in basement also,My wireless Belkin router, as others, has Ethernet hard wire inputs on back.
Cable co. Ethernet wire plugs in, this is the 1st place cable goes before anywhere else.
From the wireless router you can hard wire other PC's or connect wireless.
from basement to rest of house wireless gets a strong signal, but out on the deck it drops quick to about a good.
I then added a router range extender ( repeater) on the main floor of the house and it improved outdoor signal strength to ex. on deck, but only added about 20 ft.further in range
Tried in one of my garages 50ft from house, weak to no signal.
too many walls.Also,depending on open area of your place and you can get strong signals outside with the wireless, make sure to set up the security setting on wireless router correctly or your signal availability will be presented on your neighbors PC for access.
Hope I helped, or not totally off.

AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I'd wait until you get there, set everything up and then see what you need. I've often bought equipment I didn't need for lack of just giving it time to check.

Your router should cover everything. We run Macs here in the studio and at home-- we have 7 macs and they all run off one router-- several desktops, a few laptops and some tablets. All through the airport function.

rajung

Post by rajung »

If you decide, the Motorola surfboard should be good.
Just make sure it is compatible with you internet provider,let them know what type modem and model it is.
Still laptop needs WiFi capability.