Wow, that's a looooooong 14 miles!

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Gleeps, it's Batman

Wow, that's a looooooong 14 miles!

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

This has probably been posted before, but I just came across it. Apparently there's a town named Bat Cave in North Carolina. Long way from Gotham. <g>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat_Cave,_North_Carolina

batbelfry

Re: Wow, that's a looooooong 14 miles!

Post by batbelfry »

I'm amazed that no one has defaced the sign with bat-logos or other related grafitti!

Not even a single POW! or WHAM!
1966.batmobile

Post by 1966.batmobile »

Too bad its not route 66...
scottmandew

Post by scottmandew »

I've seen that picture on Facebook before, but I assumed it was photoshopped. Glad to know it's the real deal. Now to convince the wife we should pack up and head there for a long weekend. Think she'll go for it? Me neither...
We thought we'd have to teach our son about the world. Turns out we have to teach the world about our son. They see a boy who cannot speak. We see a miracle who doesn't need words.
http://www.ourjourneywithoneofgodsmirac ... gspot.com/
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Hi Folks,
The real reason that no one had defaced the sign is A.) Most people who recognize the connection are old enough to know better than to deface the sign, and B.) Most people figure that since the sign is Government property they could go to jail for defacing Government property, and C.) They are good citiaens.
Cheers,
Larry
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

On a related point, there is actually a Gotham City, WI. No joke folks. Wife just found it 2 days ago and told me. I didn't believe her either. Somewhere down near the Praire Du Sac area on the Wisconsin River. I have lived in WI all of my 50 yrs and never knew. Chuck, were you aware of this?? Anybody think there might be a few batmen down in that area?
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

My wife knows Two Rivers, Batman 65 and She's from Wi. and didn't know about Gotham City, Wi. She did say ( being a former Geologist) that the area there in Wi under discussion has plenty of caves....mainly due to the "Badger' lead workings. Perhaps there are real Bat Caves there...... :lol:

Cheers,
Larry
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Stryker wrote:My wife knows Two Rivers, Batman 65 and She's from Wi. and didn't know about Gotham City, Wi. She did say ( being a former Geologist) that the area there in Wi under discussion has plenty of caves....mainly due to the "Badger' lead workings. Perhaps there are real Bat Caves there...... :lol:

Cheers,
Cool! What part of the state is she from?
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

She was born in Steven's Point and spent her times up in Crandon there on Wi. Rt. 2. Her folks moved her down to Beaver Creek Ohio, but She still spent summers and a goodly chunk of winters with Her Grandparents so She knows a lot of the State. Too bad We're not able to adapt to the Winter Temps anymore due to age and health. What I've seen of the state, ( I come from Illinois), it's a beautiful state!.
Larry
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Bat Cave, NC (from "Billion Dollar Batman" by Bruce Scivally):

"In February 1966, Compton Advertising Inc. handled a promotion for Procter & Gamble that on the surface seemed innocuous enough. The plan called for an announcement during the Batman program telling kids that they could get an autographed photo of Batman and Robin by simply mailing an empty Gleem toothpaste carton to "Batman, Bat Cave, NC". The agency had prepared 250k photos, with an option for another million. The New York advertising agency wanted a memorable address for the offer, so they checked the post office for a Gotham City, but found none. However, looking under "B" for "Bat" they found Bat Cave, NC, population 200. The agency also contacted the regional post office headquarters in Asheville, NC, who said they would be willing to cooperate.

In advance of the promotion, news offices around the country were flooded with a press release that read: "The Batman cometh - into your home via an offer of a personal photo". The news release predicted "one of the largest avalanches of photo requests in history". The news release prompted a mention of the gimmick in The New York Times, a newspaper read by Mrs. Walter Flinch. Mrs. Flinch, the granddaughter of the late Harley Procter, a founder of Procter & Gamble, lived in St. Louis, but also just happened to have a home in Bat Cave, NC. In fact, shoe owned the cave that gave the community its name. She also owned a lot of stock in Procter & Gamble. Mrs. Flinch promptly phoned Procter & Gamble to voice her displeasure with the stunt, which was sure to overwhelm the tiny Bat Cave post office. William Donaldson of Procter & Gamble's promotional staff said Mrs. Flinch "expressed considerable displeasure - I might even say she made her protest in spades. We felt it worthwhile to listen to her". As a result, the tv commercials, which were already prepared, were hastily revised so that viewers were now asked to send their empty toothpaste cartons to Maple Plain, MN. "That's a town of 754 souls 20 miles from Minneapolis", Donaldson said. "It has nothing to do with bats, but it is a mailing address used by a large custom service firm which handles such premium offers for P&G and other companies. They are geared for this operation".

The attached photo is from a different campaign but also by P&G.
Attachments
batman_contest2.jpg
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
rajung

Post by rajung »

The attached photo is from a different campaign but also by P&G.
[/quote]

I have often wondered of what this was, as I forgot many years ago.
I do recall going to the local A&P grocery store with my Parents and getting a tear off artwork paper that was attached to a stand that had many different scenes, located at the entrance.I was told by my Mother to only tear one off, which I did and felt cheated, I wanted the whole stack, Wish I 'd taken the whole display stand!
Not sure if that was the same promo but sure seems like it, but 52 years ago,, have a hard time remembering if I've taken my daily 2 lbs. of medicine. I do recall the one sheet you get had to match something identically.
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

In Australia, John Batman was an Australian grazier, entrepreneur and explorer. He founded the current site of central Melbourne, and declared the land "Batmania".

Hence, we also have Batman Bridge (Tasmania), the Division of Batman (Victorian electoral division), Batman Park (Melbourne CBD), Batman Park (Northcote, Victoria – now renamed Gumbri Park), Batman's Hill (Melbourne CBD) and Batman railway station in North Coburg, plus many streets and avenues.
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
Mr. Glee

Post by Mr. Glee »

Keith Mayo wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:04 am Bat Cave, NC (from "Billion Dollar Batman" by Bruce Scivally):

"In February 1966, Compton Advertising Inc. handled a promotion for Procter & Gamble that on the surface seemed innocuous enough. The plan called for an announcement during the Batman program telling kids that they could get an autographed photo of Batman and Robin by simply mailing an empty Gleem toothpaste carton to "Batman, Bat Cave, NC"...
Related:

(Click on the image twice to enlarge.)

660221-batman-gleem.jpg