Gotham question

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Gleeps, it's Batman

Gotham question

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

I watched the half hour preview of Gotham a little over a week ago on FOX, and though they mentioned most of the characters' names, including Penguin and Riddler and I think Catwoman, it was like they went out of their way to avoid using the name "Batman". I don't remember what wording they actually used, but they only alluded to a future vigilante or future crimefighter or some such wording.

I was just wondering if anybody knows if there's a specific clause in a contract somewhere that says they're not allowed to use the word "Batman". I know there are other instances where shows weren't allowed to use a specific character. I believe Smallville wanted to use Batman/Bruce Wayne, but weren't allowed to, and Lois And Clark wasn't allowed to use Lana Lang in their first season, so they invented some other girl that Clark had taken to the prom. By the third season they were allowed to use Lana.

Anyway, just wondered if anybody knew why they were purposely avoiding using Batman's name in the preview and discussion of the show.

Not terribly excited with an origins story of all the characters, but I'll give the show a chance. If anybody else watches it, I wouldn't mind seeing comments. I was never a comic book reader, so I'm sure some references will slip past me. I know there are people upset that they changed Poison Ivy's real name. I wouldn't know anything about Poison Ivy since the only Batman stuff I know is from our beloved show.

I was also wondering about the Barbara Kean woman that Gordon is dating/engaged to. Was Barbara's mother also named Barbara? Or is this some invention for this show?

Yellow Oval

Re: Gotham question

Post by Yellow Oval »

This is typical Hollywood a.k.a. 'Copywood' fluff now. When in doubt do the 'Muppet Babies' routine by always showing a TV show, cartoon, or movie's cast back when they were "younger". It's lame. I don't think much of this show as it makes all of Batman's villains older than him by default. They can't have Batman in their show because DC and Warner, for some condescendingly dopey reason, never wants to confuse the audience between the TV heroes and their movie versions. This show will go the way that the horrible Birds of Prey did. It may make it into a second season at the very outside.

Not mentioning Batman is also the same pathetic strategy of protecting the movie franchise character from "confusion" as Smallville did with Superboy instead constantly referred to as "the red/blue blur." If this sounds ridiculous to you I'm right there with you, but that's DC Comics and Warner Bros. for you. Almost nothing they do lately makes any sense.

As for Poison Ivy, yes, they did change her name from Pamela Isley to whatever for no explicable reason other than that's what Copywood does. Change just because they can.

Judging by declining TV ratings, box office returns, and even comic book sales for that matter, people are just getting sick of their unimaginative and depressing dreck. You can only do reboots, sequels, and Muppet Babies for only so long....
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"

Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

Gleeps, it's Batman wrote:I was also wondering about the Barbara Kean woman that Gordon is dating/engaged to. Was Barbara's mother also named Barbara? Or is this some invention for this show?
Barbara Kean Gordon was James Gordon's (first) wife in the comics and Barbara's mother.

As to Poison Ivy's (temporary) name change, it was done because they expanded her backstory. Without giving 'spoilers', it seems her name will be changed to Pamela Isley at some point but she wishes to be 'Ivy' again.

Not mentioning Batman is something that is almost certainly a licensing restriction rather than trying to protect the character. Licensing his character is separate from the Bruce Wayne character. I think the show will do well, but is probably quite expensive to produce because of the licensing and that might harm it if ratings are not extremely high. If nothing else, the mystery surrounding who might be the Joker will keep many people tuning back in. I will certainly be having my husband make copies for me to watch when I return to Japan. Birds of Prey was a wonderful series with lots of potential, but the combination of it being focused on female viewers (not a big component of comic book fandom in the United States) and not giving Batman fans the guest shot by their hero they craved (apart from a silent appearance in episode one and a phone call at the end) doomed it.

Interestingly enough, out of the top 20 comics in sales for last month, fully TEN were Batman titles (with more coming shortly after that). Batman was on top in the #1 position. This is consistent from month to month (unless Marvel does another reboot with #1's). There were more Bat-titles shortly after that. Batman/Green Hornet was #92 (24,000) and Batman 66 #109 (21,000) (out of 455 titles) because the majority of readers sadly see 66 Batman as the product of a bygone era. Still, Bat-comic readership is doing better than ever.

Dark Night Rises is the worldwide leader in ticket sales among Batman movies, ranking above Dark Knight which in its time unseated the first Keaton Batman for the number one spot. Even adjusted for inflation, worldwide DK and DKR are one and two (Dark Knight has the Joker, a huge boost to sales). So box office returns are climbing.

Batman is as popular as ever, and far more so than most periods. Just this year there have been all kinds of new DVD's with versions of the character for everyone-the Funmation 60's cartoons, the Brave and Bold animated series (even closer to the 66 TV show in spirit and villains than the Funmation ones), Son of the Demon and the Justice League animated movies (VERY much aimed at adults), the CG series with Katana as his sidekick, etc etc. There are tons of acclaimed Bat-video games with the upcoming Arkham game for PS4 primed to explode on the scene. Many of these sneak in '66 Batman references! The different interpretations and views of the character have combined to make him the most popular comic hero there is. The direction of the series may not appeal to some who cherish one particular version (whether it be West, Burton, Dini, or whoever), but the overall success of the approach both from a critical and financial standpoint cannot be denied.
He flies and fights-BATMAN!
Purity and virtue-BATMAN!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
Batman and Robin-caped crusaders at night!
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!

Gleeps, it's Batman

Thanks, Lord Death Man. :)

T Butler

Post by T Butler »

I've seen plenty of posts about "what's the point" of Gotham, a show based on Batman but has no Batman. My sentiment exactly and although I stuck with "Smallville" until the end, knowing there was no Superman for all those years, I guess I was fooling myself into thinking they would morph the show into a Superman storyline at some point. The quick scene of the series finale was a nice ending, but I'm speaking of years of seasons always being a little disappointed it was not Superman.
My hope is to one day see "them" allow a proper series again. This could be done - and needs to done on the epic production value scale like an HBO series, Game of Thrones/Boardwalk Empire type of quality. The character just celebrated 75 years, there are plenty of "canon" storylines to draw from, seems like a "no brainer"!

Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

I watched the pilot last night, going in with low to no expectations I enjoyed it as a crime drama.

irishmiss

Post by irishmiss »

Personally I can come up with only one word - :x YUCK :x !!! - I was hoping for a more realistic

lead in to the 66 Batman TV Series but no that did Not happen. Foul language, a lot of violence and

most of the characters had cell phones (really ?). Fox TV (Channel 32) posted that they would re-show

the program this Friday @ 7 p.m. I might catch the first 15 minutes (which I missed) just to say I

watched the whole show but if the first 15 minutes are like the rest of the program, this irishmiss

would rather pop in a 66 Batman TV DVD and enjoy the BRIGHT KNIGHT & ROBIN THE BOY WONDER

the way it should be shown !!!

On a happier note, Bobbi & I will be heading down bright and early next Saturday morning

(10/04/14) to the Awesome Con where we will see Adam & Burt and Mark Racop and his staff with

his newest made Batmobile !!!

Your Dynamic Duo Fanatic 4-Ever,

Kathy
irishmiss

1966.batmobile

Post by 1966.batmobile »

I happen to like this show- a lot. My only complaint so far is that they are focusing on Oswald too much, and not enough on Ed Nygma, and no appearance of the Joker....yet. Also, I'm confused as to why Harvey Bullock is older than Jim Gordon. Bullock was younger in TAS. Jada Pinkett-Smith reminds me of Eartha Kitt a little..but better looking.

The cars all appear to be mid to late 1980's cars, and the cell phones look like late '90's or early 2000's pre iPhone phones.. That confuses me some...

My guess is they don't mention "Batman" because Batman doesn't exist yet?

As for Ivy's name, I thought it was a nick name because of all the plants. Just a guess.

Riddlersgurl

Post by Riddlersgurl »

Well, Bruce is only about twelve, so of course he isn't Batman yet.

And from what I've heard, they haven't brought the Joker in because he tends to dominate the storyline.

I wish they would focus on Ed too, but until he starts his criminal career, they will focus on Oswald.

Gleeps, it's Batman

1966.batmobile wrote:
My guess is they don't mention "Batman" because Batman doesn't exist yet?
No, I meant that the people doing the preview show weren't using the word "Batman" in their description of what they're doing with this show. They used Riddler, Catwoman, etc, which of course don't exist yet in the Gotham world. (The nickname of Penguin does exist, though.) Of course they wouldn't use "Batman" in the actual show itself because Batman doesn't exist yet in that world. I was just meaning the actors and producers, etc, not using it in their preview show, almost seeming to go out of their way to use stuff like future vigilante or future crimefighter instead. It just made me wonder if they were forbidden from actually mentioning the name Batman in their preview show.

1966.batmobile

Post by 1966.batmobile »

Oh, sorry. I doubt that is the case though, since they can use all other names so far...