Opinions, the new Gotham series?

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Gotham

Opinions, the new Gotham series?

Post by Gotham » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:28 pm

Anybody else been watching the new Gotham series?
I have them all recorded on my DVR. I have to admit I am a bit lost in the fact they have taken bits and pieces from the various Batman venues.
It seems these days there are about 3 or 4 different versions of Batman.
I for one don't care for that. at least in my comic book reading days when batman made a change
in costume it was universal with exception perhaps of the length of the ears.
I think the young Catwoman is the best represented character of them all, the young lady flat out kills the roll of a Pre Grown Catwomam.
I don't care much for the Alfred character, promoting young Bruce to violence in Beating of a Bully.
needed but it just doesn't seem like the Alfred I knew.
The Cobblepot/Penguin character is well... just different!
What do you think?
I may not agree with what you say at times, But I will fight for your right to say it!

Johnny Hamm

Re: Opinions, the new Gotham series?

Post by Johnny Hamm » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:04 pm

It's growing on me...I was skeptical at first but the stories and plotlines have continued to improve. Kinda neat to see different interpretations.
aka...JL

John Mack

Post by John Mack » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:25 pm

It's already being discussed here:

http://66batman.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3516

John
Music. BAT! Music.

Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:30 pm

I love it! I enjoy picking out new characters introduced into the show from the comic history and such. Still watching for the Joker, although, I believe he was the stand-up comic on Fish Mooney's stage in one of the earliest episodes. He had his routine interrupted and looked extremely annoyed as the Joker would be - not shown in the link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOHFRquDu7U

I believe this scene gave two clues to this guy being the Joker as in: 1) the 1966 TV series Batman mentions in one epoisode that Joker used to be a stand-up comic in his early days and 2) the joke told in the linked scene relates to his father which was Joker's obsession in Nolan's The Dark Knight movie.

The characters all work well and it's the most faithful to the comic yet in terms of film and TV. However, as I've said before, I strongly believe the show will be over once Batman is introduced - IF he is introduced! If Batman appears he will be the current DC/Warner travesty being pushed in the comics and movies right now.

Right now the show works because there is no Batman for them to screw up!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"

Gotham

Post by Gotham » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:01 pm

Thanks for the link of the other thread, wasn't aware of it..
BUT, I had kind of a tough time and had to kind of force my self to watch past the first 3 episodes.
It has gotten better, but have to agree The Flash and Grim are better, but you can tell they have worked hard and dumped more money into the scripts and location/effects.
It is also kind of fun trying to pick out who is who before they make it known..
and I agree the show is quite a lot better than it started out.
I may not agree with what you say at times, But I will fight for your right to say it!

dell

Post by dell » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:19 pm

I have to say that I haven't watched any of it. The concept didn't appeal to me.
dell

High C

Post by High C » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:22 pm

Yellow Oval wrote:
I believe this scene gave two clues to this guy being the Joker as in: 1) the 1966 TV series Batman mentions in one epoisode that Joker used to be a stand-up comic in his early days and 2) the joke told in the linked scene relates to his father which was Joker's obsession in Nolan's The Dark Knight movie.
I believe they said he was a stage hypnotist in his early days, not a stand-up.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17

Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:51 pm

Stage Hypnotist? yeah, that's right. I was confusing that episode with The Killing Joke graphic novel story background.

Lounge lizard

Post by Lounge lizard » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:30 pm

Enjoying it now (after a slow start)
The actor playing Alfred is the son of a former Dr Who...

Riddler 66

Post by Riddler 66 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:15 pm

Actually I love this show too. It's a "reinvisionment" in the truest sense, but I still recognize the characters. (A lot more than say, Tim Burton's disappointing "Dark Shadows"!) If the previews are accurate, next week Oswald Cobblepot will meet Edward Nigma for the first time. They're two of my favorites so far. I really like how they are fleshing out the characters in a modern "noir" setting. I also think the "Electrocutioner" Arkham Asylum villain may have supposed to have been Dr. Hugo Strange? Anyone else?
The trigger: one of my riddles!

Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:40 pm

Riddler 66 wrote:I also think the "Electrocutioner" Arkham Asylum villain may have supposed to have been Dr. Hugo Strange? Anyone else?
That's exactly what I thought! :o He looked and acted just like Hugo Strange. Well, nothing to say he won't return later using his "real name". ;)

So, after tonight's episode with the pre-Joker, we have Riddler, Penguin, Catwoman, Scarecrow, Szazz, and Poison Ivy just out of the starting gate with a possible Prof. Hugo Strange return later. Not to mention Harley Quinn still to eventually make an entrance as well. This show is doing it way better so far than the movies have going back to when Joel Schumacher took over.

This is getting good!!!!!!! 8-)

1966.batmobile

Post by 1966.batmobile » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:40 pm

What is Szazz??

I was ok with the casting of the young Joker, but I always thought The Joker was roughly 15 years older than Bruce, not 7-8 yrs older...

His smile was very creepy. Wonder if any CGI was used or not

I'm also not sure where they got the name Jerome from...anyone know?

1966.batmobile

Post by 1966.batmobile » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:42 pm

P.S. loved the Flying Grayson's bit in last nights episode. I believe the young couple at the end are Dick's future parents?

Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:13 pm

1966.batmobile wrote:What is Szazz??
He means Mr. (Victor) Zsasz. In the comics he is a psychotic serial killer (is there any other kind?) who carves a tally mark into his body for every person he kills. He was also in the first Nolan Batman movie as a mob enforcer for Carmine Falcone who ends up in Arkham and almost kills Rachel Dawes.
He flies and fights-BATMAN!
Purity and virtue-BATMAN!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
Batman and Robin-caped crusaders at night!
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!

Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:28 pm

I'm sure most of you who view the series have made this connection already, but I'll put it out there anyway. Dr. Dulmacher is the Batman villain known as The Dollmaker.