Opinions, the new Gotham series?

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Riddler 66

Re: Opinions, the new Gotham series?

Post by Riddler 66 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:43 pm

The big announce is that the Fish Mooney character played by Jada Pinkett-Smith is going to get phased out, and it's not that she's a new addition, I am rather glad to hear this as I don't think there's much left good to play out on her. She served her purpose, which was to show how the Penguin character started out small but despite making some missteps, is pretty clever and watching his rise in the crime world is a lot of fun.The motivation of revenge for being ill treated by everyone in his world, and his habit of playing the other crime lords off each other has been really interesting. Likewise, I hear we will soon see Edward Nygma go over to the dark side, and his move to villainy will be a big part of season 2.
The trigger: one of my riddles!

Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:09 pm

I love Jada-Pinkett Smith. I think she's awesome and I love her green eyes. That being said, her character has been pretty much played out and there isn't much more that they can do with her; especially if Jada doesn't want to do Season 2. Well, with Fish Mooney leaving maybe they can bring in a new one with a name like Chicken Sunny! :lol:

Can't say enough about watching Nygma head toward the green and black of Riddlerland. The character is portrayed so well like all the other characters on the show.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"

Riddler 66

Post by Riddler 66 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:16 am

Gotham return for the final four episodes for this season on April 13th. I think Edward Nygma, Oswald Cobblepot and Selina Kyle will all have big character movements up but anyone wanna guess as to who else may be introduced/hinted at? They already announced Lucius Fox is debuting soon.
The trigger: one of my riddles!

Batman65

Post by Batman65 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:13 am

The show is ok. Personally, I am not sure the show will last. For one, it is horribly violent. Given real world situations, I understand, but boy oh boy, some of the stuff on there. Definitely not for the younger generation. I can't imagine some of that stuff on tv in years past. What I see here is the batman version of Smallville. Only at the very last episode did we see Superman. The same will be true here. If/when Batman comes about, the series is over. The actor playing Penguin is really good. He sure is a slimeball. Very well played. All the actors are cast well. Personally The Flash is much better I think, and this is coming from a huge fan of Batman!

Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:22 pm

The producers have stated Clayface and the Mad Hatter will make their appearance in Season 2. Fans are already clamoring for each season to jump a few years as the pace will be way too slow considering Bruce Wayne's age currently in the show. I agree.
I also agree it is quite violent and not to defend it, but that's the way the comic companies now depict them and the way generations accept shows as "serious".

As for Smallville, that last episode was a mega-letdown. A number of reasons to list, but suffice to say it could have been done waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better! :roll:
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"

Gleeps, it's Batman

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:46 pm

Batman65 wrote:The show is ok. Personally, I am not sure the show will last. For one, it is horribly violent. Given real world situations, I understand, but boy oh boy, some of the stuff on there. Definitely not for the younger generation. I can't imagine some of that stuff on tv in years past. What I see here is the batman version of Smallville. Only at the very last episode did we see Superman. The same will be true here. If/when Batman comes about, the series is over. The actor playing Penguin is really good. He sure is a slimeball. Very well played. All the actors are cast well. Personally The Flash is much better I think, and this is coming from a huge fan of Batman!
I agree that it's horribly violent. Had I not stumbled over Batman a couple of years back after not having seen it since the 70s, I wouldn't have gone near Gotham at all since I knew it'd be dark and violent, both things I don't like in shows. Despite the violence, I do think it's well done, and I like the Jim Gordon and Bruce Wayne characters, and find Donal Logue entertaining too. Not having read the comic books, I'm not particularly into the villains or their origins, but I do think they're well-played.

John Mack

Post by John Mack » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:04 pm

Well Fish Mooney has been shot while flying over the ocean. I think this is the origin story of the Sea Hag! :)

John
Music. BAT! Music.

Gleeps, it's Batman

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:29 pm

Batguitarist wrote:Well Fish Mooney has been shot while flying over the ocean. I think this is the origin story of the Sea Hag! :)

John
ROTFL, John!

John Mack

Post by John Mack » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:59 am

Ok. I got the response I had hoped for. I will stop with the Sea hag bit for good now. As Robin Williams stopped doing Mork and David Bowie stopped doing Ziggy Stardust. But I just couldn't resist my latest observations. :lol:

John
Music. BAT! Music.

Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:10 am

Batguitarist wrote:Well Fish Mooney has been shot while flying over the ocean. I think this is the origin story of the Sea Hag! :)

John
Here was me thinking I had stumbled upon a Hag-free-thread... ;)

I've given Gotham what feels like an awful lot of time to turn into the show that I hoped it would be. The story feels weak and as a result it's use of such stylized production design doesn't feel like a justified tool to suspend disbelief and create a Gotham that as a viewer I can lose myself in. It feels hammy and not in an even remotely good way... Enter Netflix's Daredevil series and by episode four I honestly felt it was the show that I had been yearning for Gotham to be. It's got such a strong narrative that is carried by some wonderful performances and an aesthetic that really sells the audience on their version of Hell's Kitchen. Character's portrayed to the standard of Wilson Fisk make Gotham's villains so far look like glorified Pantomime performances.

Lounge lizard

Post by Lounge lizard » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:25 am

For me Gotham started slowly, got going a bit, lost it's way, picked up again.
I just saw part 2 of 'the Ogre' episode and felt it was the best so far of a patchy first season.
Totally agree with Ben. Daredevil came out of the blocks fast and stayed there. A much better production.

Bat-Tiger

Post by Bat-Tiger » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:02 pm

I just watched the latest episode last night. Cory Smith has been brilliant as Edward Nygma, and the writers are doing a superb job laying the foundation for the villains to come.

I was so thrilled at hearing the Riddler laugh again, I played it back a couple times.
/|\=^..^=/|\