2015 batman vs robin

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Austinunc

2015 batman vs robin

Post by Austinunc » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:26 pm

Just wondering if anyone else has seen the new dc animated movie? Damian Wayne is in no way shape or form my favorite Robin and Jason o mare is no where close to being my favorite voice actor for batman but all and all I liked this movie more so than some of the other recent realases from the dc animated universe. Any thoughts?

Yellow Oval

Re: 2015 batman vs robin

Post by Yellow Oval » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:07 pm

My own personal opinion is I despise this little homicidal runt of a character. He just seems to be one more notch in the downward slide of DC Comics. I had the misfortune of looking through an issue the other year (I never buy or regularly read them anymore) and saw a panel where he was just chewed out by Batman for whatever reason. He was holding a small bird hidden away in his hand and when Batman turned and left, Damian mercilessly crushed it to death - and they didn't hint at it - they DREW IT! These are NOT the characteristics I want my heroes displaying. This is also not "edgy and gritty" - it is just plain sick! The Damain Wayne character is a disgrace to the mythos of Batman over the last 75 years. It's like they're working overtime to demean and degrade the heroes in any way they can - the ending of the atrocious Man of Steel film, for example.

Among the other dysfunctions of DC Comics, I'm not impressed with the fact that all their titles and concepts (a la the upcoming Batman v Superman film) lately have their heroes 'battle' one another all the time. This smacks of sales desperation. Then again, maybe it's a desperation well-deserved!
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"

Austinunc

Post by Austinunc » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:03 am

I completely agree Damian is by far my least favorite robin. I may be the only one but the similarities between Damian and jason Todd are far to many, and while most people love Damian they killed jason Todd off because of his behavior!! I understand that he is the son of batman but his attitude and views of the world in my opinion disqualify him as an exceptible replacement for batman ever!!

Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:28 am

Well said, Austinunc, well said! :D

Jason Todd wasn't originally a moron, but somewhere along the way they decided to tum him into the anti-Dick Grayson. When I took a course in writing, one of the main aspects taught was that there should always be conflict emphasized to maintain interest and move the story along. I strongly disagree with the use of having conflict in everything just for the sake of it. I find establishing conflict in certain instances is nothing more than annoying and can slow down the story, destroy interest in characters and situations, etc. I wish comic writers and comic companies would get this through their heads. You want conflict? Go write for a soap opera!
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"

JMS415

Post by JMS415 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:34 am

I did like it when it was Dick Grayson behind the cowl with Damian as robin. I preordered the blu ray and will get it next week. Sadly the comics are gritty now, and I think Damian represents a struggle Bruce has to deal with. Damian was taught to kill, Batman doesn't believe in killing (even though it has happened). So its like a new challenge for Bruce, all the other robins and batgirls he has been able to mold them. Damian is like trying to handle nitroglycerin, although he has calmed down somewhat lately.
Robin: Atomic batteries to power. Turbines to speed.

Batman: Roger. Ready to move out.

Austinunc

Post by Austinunc » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:01 pm

I agree with you both! Damian and dick have a much better batman and robin relationship than bruce do. Bruce needs his Robin to stop him from being so dark and reminded him not to get to caught up in his own mantle! Damian however is even darker than bruce which causes Bruce to be almost a lighter character and that to me just throws the whole dynamic off. If there's a Robin for Bruce I'd rather see dick Grayson or tim drake.

John Mack

Post by John Mack » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:03 am

What's a comic book?

John
Music. BAT! Music.