Modern day batman tv show

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Austinunc

Modern day batman tv show

Post by Austinunc » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:46 pm

With the raging success that superheroes have will someone please explain to me why we haven't recived a modern day batman live action tv show?? Shows like arrow, the flash, daredevil and a few others have been praised by audiences but we all know that if batman made his way back to the television screen the other shows would simply dull in comparison. I was hoping that eventually Gotham would show bruce as batman but I've recently read an article that stated that was not going to happen. With all this being said what are your thoughts as fellow fans and what might you like to see if we were to receive such a show?

dell

Re: Modern day batman tv show

Post by dell » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:53 pm

We have discussed this a number of times over they years. Some people want a serious Batman like in the movies, while others want a remake of the TV show. In the end, most discussions come to the conclusion that the TV show was lightning in a bottle and there is no chance it could be remade and be popular like it once was.
dell

AndyFish

Post by AndyFish » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:45 pm

Simple, Warners doesn't consider a character whose films were some of the highest grossing in history to be a TV property. If you can see Batman on TV free why would you buy a movie ticket?
Won't happen for at least a generation. The new Batfleck tanks? That would change the game.

Gotham was never going to show Batman. The idea is to capitalize on the elements of Batman without downgrading the main characters marquee value.

That's how studios work. You're talking about business, not art.

John Mack

Post by John Mack » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:20 pm

AndyFish wrote:Simple, Warners doesn't consider a character whose films were some of the highest grossing in history to be a TV property. If you can see Batman on TV free why would you buy a movie ticket?
Won't happen for at least a generation. The new Batfleck tanks? That would change the game.

Gotham was never going to show Batman. The idea is to capitalize on the elements of Batman without downgrading the main characters marquee value.

That's how studios work. You're talking about business, not art.
All too true. Indeed, look at our own Batman. One of the reasons the 1966/67 movie didn't do so well is that many people (my parents included) said "Why pay to see Batman when we can see him twice a week on TV for free." I suppose a lot of people felt that way even then, and so WB has learned from this.

But don't fret old chums. We're getting an animated feature soon!

John
Music. BAT! Music.

Austinunc

Post by Austinunc » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:19 am

You would think that all of the promotional items such as t shirts, toys, and all kinds of other things would make more than enough money to please them.

elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:30 am

I agree on that.

elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:34 am

I think that there should also be a new Batman Cartoon TV Series based on the 1966 Batman.That is,for the kids.

Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:16 am

AndyFish wrote:The new Batfleck tanks? That would change the game.
One can only hope as DC has gotten so far off track with the character. The '66 Batman was a one-time event. I don't think it would ever happen again and I wouldn't want it to as it would most likely diminish the legacy and memory of the original series. The upcoming '66 animated movie is a different thing altogether and might do alright in terms of DVD sales depending on the size of the niche crowd.

As for shows like Gotham I enjoy it simply because there is no Batman for them to ruin! I can appreciate all the other characters, even Bruce, slowly coming into their own, but the moment Batman would show he wouldn't be Batman. He would be 'The Dark Knight' and probably be closer to the current Arkham video games version that have him in high-tech armor with energized power gauntlets and all that junk! Batman is now just a mishmash of Darth Vader and Robocop for all the techie-nerds that make up the current generation of fanboys. They really have no concept of Batman so for that I hope there are no TV shows. They've already ruined him enough in the latest movies and comics. :roll:
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"