Photos of Bat Girl costume for projected 1940's Bat Man Movie serial

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

BATWINGED HORNET

Re: Photos of Bat Girl costume for projected 1940's Bat Man Movie serial

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Gernot wrote: I love both serials, but never felt Batman was really a "patriotic" hero. :)
The covers of Batman #12, 13, 15, 17, 18 and 30, Detective Comics #58, 78 & 101 firmly placed the Dynamic Duo in the position of being either spokespeople or participants for America's WW2 cause, so the story line of the 1943 serial was not an unusual use of the characters.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

You have a very Good point, not to forget the "World's Finest" and others from the same time.
Larry
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

It really seems doubtful, but interesting. The Bat-girl character didn't appear ion the comics until 1961.

Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Yep, I remember that well. I didn't care for Betty Kanes' outfit any more than I did Her Aunt's. I'm glad the character was redone a few years later. Thanks for the panel, P.P. If You have any others to show here that show the entire 1961 outfit, please print them.

Thanks,
Larry
Gernot

Post by Gernot »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote:
Gernot wrote: I love both serials, but never felt Batman was really a "patriotic" hero. :)
The covers of Batman #12, 13, 15, 17, 18 and 30, Detective Comics #58, 78 & 101 firmly placed the Dynamic Duo in the position of being either spokespeople or participants for America's WW2 cause, so the story line of the 1943 serial was not an unusual use of the characters.
Oh, yeah! I realize they placed Batman on a number of patriotic covers, but none of those images really rang true to me. I liked Batman as an urban crime-fighter, or even a spy, but didn't feel he and Robin should be posing with the America Flag. THAT role could be filled by more colorful heroes such as Captain America and Superman.

YMMV :)
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Now THAT'S a good point!!!!! One thing that We have to remember (+ I'm VERY bad at remembering this, myself), Bat Man, ( or ANY Super Hero(ine)) is a product of the readers' time period. E.G. Look at the recent "reboot" of Star Trek, Superman, Batman, The Man from U.N.C.L.E. and others. Look at what society was like when "Star Trek: The Motion (Sickness...oops) Picture came out....The End of the "Age of Aquarius" vs. "Star Trek: the Wrath of Khan" a few years later.....MUCH more militant!
The Bat Man of the 1940's definitely did not reflect the Batman of the 50's and 60's. let alone the 2015+.
Larry
Gernot

Post by Gernot »

I would also really have liked to see Naish playing the Joker in '43, rather than a Japanese agent.

One thing I found interesting about the serial, the comics, and the TV show was the contrast it gave to Batman and Robin. Robin was always getting in danger in the comics and TV show, whereas in the serial, Batman was the one most often in danger. Robin even came to Batman's rescue on numerous occasions in the serial! :)
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

I agree, Gernot especially about Naish playing the Joker. For the most part, IMHO, Naish's makeup minus the Smile resembles the Joker's. some of that, no doubt, is due to the "Japanese make-up", such as it was.
Larry
nas690

Post by nas690 »

Hi, does anyone have, or know where to find, the early script for the 1943 Batman serial? The one with the Joker as the villain.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Hey nas690! If ANY one would have a copy, more than likely it will be this board's own Andy Fish. You might check w/him and see. If You do find a copy, please P.M. me as I would like a copy of it as well.

Good Luck Nas.....and as always, this message will self destruct in 15 seconds! (OOPS..wrong series :LOL!!!!!!!)
Larry
Riddler 66

Post by Riddler 66 »

Larry A wanted some more panels with the Betty Kane Batgirl, I found a few.
Attachments
bat-girl05.jpg
bat-girl05.jpg (70.74 KiB) Viewed 8480 times
Bat-Girl1.jpg
Bat-Girl1.jpg (21.23 KiB) Viewed 8480 times
Batgirl_Bette_Kane_0004.jpg
Batgirl_Bette_Kane_0004.jpg (148.39 KiB) Viewed 8480 times
The trigger: one of my riddles!
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Thanks, I appreciate Your input. What I had been referring to is the rumour that there was to be a Bat Girl in one of the serials.

Cheers,
Larry
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

For anyone interested, I do have a PDF of the first 7 Chapters of the Batman serial-- I believe it still has Daka in it, and its my understanding that The Joker was only considered as the villain in the treatment stage, the art was often done before the scripts were written.

I'll post a link here later this week so anyone who wants to read the PDF can, it's just a matter of the Fish Minions digging through the files to find it, but I've been assured we do have it.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Many thanks, Andy. I look forward to it. BTW, I like Your new "Photo". I believe it is from one of, if not the last releases of Aurora Plastic Models' King Kong which, if memory serves, was part of the "Glow in the Dark" Monsters.

Cheers,
Larry
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Yup-- Glow Kong- one of my favorites as a kid-- I remember the box fondly.
Here is the link to the BATMAN 1943 Movie Serial Script-- It's Chapters 1-7, I thought at one point I had the other half, but my memory is faulty-- as is, it's 240 pages long!

Give it a read;

COLUMBIA PICTURES BATMAN SERIAL SCRIPT 1943