Saturday October 29th 2016

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Gorshin Romero

Saturday October 29th 2016

Post by Gorshin Romero » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:48 am

Hi Everybody:

Last night I attended a special event at the Phantom Carriage Microbrewery in Carson, California. I had purchased a VIP Pass to go and see Mr. Bela G. Lugosi, son of the actor most famous for playing Count Dracula in the 1931 Universal horror movie.

When I entered the VIP Room, I saw that several people were in there, and I assumed that these were other patrons who had also purchased the VIP pass, but I was wrong. They were actually the family members of Mr. Lugosi, including his daughter, son-in-law, grandchildren, and others!

They were all very kind and welcoming to me, and at one point I asked them if I could bring my wife and my friend in so that I could introduce them to the Lugosi family as well (my wife and buddy did not have the VIP pass that I had purchased). Mr. Lugosi and his family welcomed them in there as well, and we took some pics on our phones and actually got to ask him some questions one on one BEFORE the event occurred of him addressing the audience outside in the courtyard which would be prior to the screening of "Dracula" for the event! We hung around with the family for about 20 minutes or so, and we probably could have stayed and hung out a bit longer, but I didn't want to wear out my welcome, so I politely excused myself and returned to the bar area with my wife and buddy.

On a side note: since it was a Halloween party, I dressed as the Riddler :D

The Boss

Re: Saturday October 29th 2016

Post by The Boss » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:39 pm

Now I bet you had dressed as Dracula huh? lol

But Seriously, that sounds awesome! I've been watching several Bela Lugosi movies over the past week. Dracula, Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (a film I had never seen but, wanted to watch it solely to see Mr. Lugosi reprise his role of Dracula), The White Zombie (arguably his best film even if not his most famous), The Black Cat (with Boris Karloff) and even Plan 9 from Outer Space.

Gorshin Romero

Post by Gorshin Romero » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:20 pm

The Boss wrote:Now I bet you had dressed as Dracula huh? lol

But Seriously, that sounds awesome! I've been watching several Bela Lugosi movies over the past week. Dracula, Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (a film I had never seen but, wanted to watch it solely to see Mr. Lugosi reprise his role of Dracula), The White Zombie (arguably his best film even if not his most famous), The Black Cat (with Boris Karloff) and even Plan 9 from Outer Space.
Glad to see another Lugosi fan on the Board here, Boss. Funny you should mention "The Black Cat" because I asked Mr. Lugosi what his favorite role of his father's was (after the infamous Count, of course), and he said he liked "The Black Cat" because it was one of the few times that his father had the role of the "good guy until he skinned Karloff alive at the end." :shock:

I also asked what his personal opinion of Edward D. Wood Jr. was, and he smiled fondly and said that he was a nice guy, "but he did like to drink a lot." ;)

That said, if you get a chance, check out Bela Lugosi's performances in "Night Monster" "One Body Too Many" and even the silly fun of "You'll Find Out" where he is partnered up with Boris Karloff and Peter Lorre. I do like films such as "Mark Of The Vampire" and "White Zombie" but I cannot help returning to his lesser known roles like the ones I mentioned above.

As for me dressing as The Riddler instead of Count Dracula, my friend here on the board, Modelbuilder, pointed out that if this were real, the Riddler would have cynically cackled: "Well...it wouldn't be the FIRST TIME that I had to deal with a BAT!" :lol:

The Boss

Post by The Boss » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:10 am

I love Ed Wood's Bela pictures. While I have never seen any of his non Bela pictures I'm greatful that Ed was there to give Bela work when he needed it. One picture that I keep meaning to see but haven't as of yet is Bride of the Monster.

I also wish Bela had lived long enough to make Ed's poposed Dr. Acula. I would love to know what that would have consisted of other than the obvious pun in the title.

johndeblasi

Post by johndeblasi » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:24 am

My favorite Bela film is the Raven.

AndyFish

Post by AndyFish » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:29 am

I Love Lugosi! His biography went with me on a trip around the world and when I decided to mail some stuff back to the states to lighten the load that was the one item I wouldn't part with.

I think his best performance as Dracula was in 1943's RETURN OF THE VAMPIRE from Columbia-- they couldn't call him Dracula but its an obvious sequel to the original Unviersal Film.

The Black Cat is cornball fun-- very melodramatic but I love it-- Karloff is great in that one too.
I just recently caught BLACK FRIDAY on Svengoolie and Lugosi was great in that as an American Gangster-- pretty tough sell with his thick accent but that ended up being fun too.

The Boss

Post by The Boss » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:50 am

Although the top billing went to Boris Karloff for his third and final portray of the monster in Son of Frankenstein IMO Bela stole the show with his portayal of Igor.

Gorshin Romero

Post by Gorshin Romero » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:33 am

The Boss wrote:Although the top billing went to Boris Karloff for his third and final portray of the monster in Son of Frankenstein IMO Bela stole the show with his portayal of Igor.
Funny you should mention that; one of the things I mentioned to the Lugosi family was that although we all know that Bela kicked himself ever since he turned down the role of the Frankenstein Monster, had he played the Monster, then he NEVER would have turned in the great performance that he did as Igor. The Lugosi family seems to agree, as they all like his performance as Igor too. I could not see anybody else playing Igor as effectively as Bela did===not Dwight Frye, not Peter Lorre, and certainly not Boris Karloff. The role of Igor, like Count Dracula and Murder Legendre, is most definitely a BELA LUGOSI role :!:

Gorshin Romero

Post by Gorshin Romero » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:39 am

AndyFish wrote:I Love Lugosi! His biography went with me on a trip around the world and when I decided to mail some stuff back to the states to lighten the load that was the one item I wouldn't part with.

I think his best performance as Dracula was in 1943's RETURN OF THE VAMPIRE from Columbia-- they couldn't call him Dracula but its an obvious sequel to the original Unviersal Film.

The Black Cat is cornball fun-- very melodramatic but I love it-- Karloff is great in that one too.
I just recently caught BLACK FRIDAY on Svengoolie and Lugosi was great in that as an American Gangster-- pretty tough sell with his thick accent but that ended up being fun too.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you say that "Black Friday" and the "The Black Cat" simply ended up being fun! I would say the same thing about "You'll Find Out" which is probably the epitome of cornball fun, particularly watching Ish Kabibble and Kay Kayser interacting with the gang. AndyFish, it's a pleasure to know there are still Lugosi fans out there, because I know many of the younger generation have NO CLUE as to who this man was.

Gorshin Romero

Post by Gorshin Romero » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:42 am

johndeblasi wrote:My favorite Bela film is the Raven.

Another fun one. Movies like "The Raven" and "The Black Sleep" and "Mark of the Vampire" remind me of my younger days. Every weekend when the new TV Guide would come out (remember those?) I would immediately turn to the late Friday and Saturday night movie schedules to see what horror or science fiction monster movies would be broadcast, and I wait all week in anticipation to watch them. ;)

johndeblasi

Post by johndeblasi » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:56 pm

Yes, me to. could not wait to see what was on Friday And Saturday nights.