The Spider Lady.

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

elmrgraham

The Spider Lady.

Post by elmrgraham »

The 1966 Batman Topps Cards also had a Batman Villainess called The Spider Lady.Again,no image of her.Are there any known human images of her?
elmrgraham

Re: The Spider Lady.

Post by elmrgraham »

The Batman Card was titled:"Death Spins A Web."
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

Perhaps it was the same villain from the first Superman serial.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Perhaps.
High C

Post by High C »

Here's the thing--from what I've read on the internet, artist Norman Saunders, who drew that series of cards, was employed by Topps at the time. He certainly wasn't working for DC or Dozier/Greenway. It's doubtful he even was communicating with Dozier, judging by the fact Saunders' Catwoman was drawn with the comics-style costume, not the sleeker Julie Newmar one.

What I'm getting at is that the show's connection with the cards was tangential at best. It wasn't as if Saunders was drawing stuff, for the most part, that Dozier and Co. ever would think of putting on the screen. To be fair, they did have a giant clam later, although it didn't look like the 'sea monster' Saunders drew. He also had the Duo facing a giant mutated rat (?!) and being trapped atop a windmill in Holland by Penguin, among many other adventures. Why Pengy decided to go to Holland is unclear. Maybe Finella or Chickadee had some frequent-flyer miles. :D
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Norman Saunders also had Batman being pursued by a Shark.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

The Spider Lady was encountered by Batman and Robin's cheap live-action knock-offs Electra Woman and Dyna-Girl on a 1976 Saturday morning Krofft Supershow episode. Hey, it counts as the Electramobile can be seen in the intro driving out of the Bronson Canyon Batcave! :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5oGHjcpb6o

(Man, do I miss the fun of the old Saturday mornings.)
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
batbelfry

Post by batbelfry »

here's what that card looked like for anyone who hasn't seen it-

High C

Post by High C »

elmrgraham wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:59 am Norman Saunders also had Batman being pursued by a Shark.
And a medieval knight, and an ancient gladiator, and a dinosaur, and a mummy that was NOT King Tut, etc. Also note that Saunders' depiction of villains' henchmen had them wearing loud suits, much like the comics, as opposed to villain-themed outfits like the show did.

Is it possible the writers took an idea or two from them later? Sure. But the bottom line is Saunders wasn't on the show's payroll and, as I said, was just interested in drawing fanciful things that looked impressive. He didn't have to worry about a budget the way the producers did.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17