Mrs. Peel, you're needed!

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

vintagematt

Mrs. Peel, you're needed!

Post by vintagematt »

I have been wondering is there are any "Avengers" fans on this board (the secret agents not the hulk and iron man), and I have been wondering if any of them can point me to some good merchandising for the series, as I have found nothing so far, thanks -Mr. Glee! :D
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
AndyFish

Re: Mrs. Peel, you're needed!

Post by AndyFish »

One of my favorite shows!
There's not a lot for merchandise-- there is the Gold Key Comic book which has a photo cover.

Trading cards, paperbacks, I'm pretty sure there was a game too.

I'm not a big collector of anything so merchandise is not something I chase, but if you dig you'll find some stuff. It's hard to search eBay for it-- like trying to find Phantom merchandise (another character I like) without the deluge of Phantom Menace junk.

But the hunt is what makes it fun.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Huge fan of Steed and Emma, here. But there's precious little marketing, outside of the DVDs and Blu-Rays and a few good books.

Eons ago, Corgi did a miniature of Steed's Bentley, but I'm betting it's hard to find. There was even a two-pack that threw in Emma's Lotus Elan and the duo themselves, but I've never seen one in real life.

There have been several comics over the years, of varying quality. Recently BOOM studios seems to have been putting out some well-received material, though I can't claim to have read it myself:

https://www.amazon.com/Steed-Mrs-Peel-V ... 1608863409

One of the books I enjoyed was Patrick Macnee's "Deadline" novel from (gasp!) 1998. It's a fun tale, and he manages to work in all of Steed's partners, from Dr. Keel through Tara King (though I'm not crazy about the cover on the version linked below):

https://www.amazon.com/Avengers-Deadlin ... 1575000725

I'd also recommend Macnee's "The Avengers and Me" memoir, which is wonderful fun and chock full of great photos. Also, I treasure my dog-eared copy of Dave Roger's book "The Avengers," which I bought new back in '83 and loved for the episode guide, back when I'd only seen a fraction of the shows filmed, and still about 10 years away from the glory days when A&E showed nearly the lot of them on cable.

Looks like you might still find a used copy here and there. https://www.amazon.com/Avengers-Dave-Ro ... rs+tv+show

Rogers also wrote "The Complete Avengers," which is more recent, though I don't have it.

The site "John Steed's Flat" lists some of the action figures available over the years, including the two-pack of 12-inch figures from Product Enterprises that was sadly out of my price range at the time (and doubtless now, even more so)

http://www.johnsteedsflat.com/collectib ... gures.html

He also lists some puzzles and games from back in the day.

http://www.johnsteedsflat.com/collectib ... games.html

I wish this show could get the same treatment as Batman and be marketed 50 years after the fact, but that's probably a vain hope. There have been rumors of yet another remake (bleh) but who knows, maybe that would lead to some merchandising of the classic show?

I honestly don't know how hard to find or pricey this stuff is, but the point is you're likely to be haunting online auctions and flea markets to find good Avengers merchandise. There's nothing hanging on the pegs at your local retailer, more's the pity.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Forgot about the Corgi two pack-- I had that! Even as a kid I was shocked at the lack of detail on Emma-- didn't care about Steed he was fine.

What a great show! WINGED AVENGER episode is an homage to the Batman show.
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

Th is great advice! As far as comic books I have read the steed and Mrs peel meet batman '66 series, it was heaven on earth combining my two favorite tv shows!
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

I have also been trying to track down the prouduct enterprise talking Emma peel and steed action figure two pack for a decent price, but no luck, I'm not willing to pay 200 dollars for it! I may also have to look into the corgi cars!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

$200 for two pretty nice figures is not ridiculous. I think the retail was around that.
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

Interesting....
Tom1980

Post by Tom1980 »

Hello. I live in the UK, and have been a fan of The Avengers almost as long as Batman.

There was not a huge amount of merchandise compared to something like Batman, but plenty of books and other things have appeared over the years. There were a few jigsaws which I am privileged to own after paying scary ebay prices. There were several novels in the 1960's, some of them only published in America, which can probably still be bought quite cheaply and have quite attractive photo covers. The novel Deadline was originally published back then (but only in the UK), but got a reprint in the 1990's. They are all a fun read, but I don't think they quite catch the full spirit of the show.

The Gold Key comic book is actually a reprint collection from a British children's weekly comic called "TV Comic", which had an Avengers strip for several years with Steed and Mrs Peel, then later Tara King and ran until 1973!

There are lots of trading card sets, which all came out in 1990's. No series was issued back at the time of the original show, which is surprising as almost every other series had something.

There is a useful website out there with a lot of detail and photos on The Avengers merchandise:
http://deadduck.theavengers.tv/default.htm

Anyway, hope you have lots of luck finding items in your searches Mr Glee.
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

:lol: Thanks you all have been a great help, but sadly you have killed my wallet!
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

I believe Ms. Emma Peel went on to have a daughter named Banana thereby serving as later inspiration to those such as Gwyneth Paltrow. :D

As for The Avengers, the Emma Peel years are my favorite era and I have the complete works in the Avengers Emma Peel DVD set which I'm sure a number of fellow board members own. My all-time favorite episode is 'Epic' with Peter Wyngarde who would have made an excellent live-action Joker. *Spoilers* - That one scene where the wedding bells are loudly ringing and Emma looks up through the storm of colored confetti to see Wyngarde's minister beckoning her is pure '60s surrealism. Even more so afterwards when she suddenly sees Wyngarde's blue-faced funeral hearse driver saying "We're waiting for you, Mrs. Peel" and then eerily suddenly driving away. Still gets me the same way as when I was a schnick way back in the very early 70s watching it on TV. :shock: The 60s weren't just a time period - they were literally a state of mind. TV, film, and music can only partially remind us of what another planet it seemed like being on.

If I had spare bread I would go after those Corgi cars.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

For anybody who IT may concern captain toy did a great review of the product enterprise "avengers in color" figure set on his site! http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_080206b.htm