Rick Baker Joker Bust

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

AndyFish

Rick Baker Joker Bust

Post by AndyFish »

I would expect this to be hated by the party faithful, but master makeup man Rick Baker (American Werewolf, King Kong '76) has been contracted by DC Comics to do a bust of any character he wanted and he chose The Joker.

I actually think its pretty cool-- much MUCH better than the awful Jared Leto design. It's creepy and silly at the same time.
PDpuck16

Re: Rick Baker Joker Bust

Post by PDpuck16 »

I really like it but couldn't get past thinking I've seen it before. Finally hit me, I think it looks very Killer Clowns For Outer space 'ish
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

"Creepy and silly" is a good description. It looks like the creature from the "Leprechaun" movies.

An interesting exercise that shows some serious sculpting skills (no surprise, as it's Baker), but unless the character has been re-imagined as a supernatural beast or space alien, it's not at all convincing. There's nothing human there.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I like the weirdness of it, but I think it would have been more successful if he'd reigned it in a bit (maybe more than a bit).

Translating these drawings into reality is often challenging-- not the least of which is what is something made out of?

Batman's cowl, for instance; is it Rubber? Is it Leather? Is it a helmet like it was in the '66 show or is it just fabric like it was in the 70s comics when the cowl could often be seen hanging from the neck of Bruce Wayne while he worked mid-costume?

I personally think the cowl has only been done "right" twice-- the 1943 serial even with it's devil horns, if you look at the '39 drawings the ears look like they could be horns, and the '66 version where its a helmet wrapped in fabric.

Everything else just did't work. There's no helmet under the '49 mask and the rubber Batman design has never been something I've embraced. From a practical standpoint spending the day (or evening) in a heavy leather costume would wear you down pretty quickly.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Doesn't really work for me. Reminds me too much of the little old man from Benny Hill. I'm half-expecting Batman to feed him a candy, repeatedly tap him on the head, and then kick him in the rear.

What is this thing lately about Joker always having a receding hairline making him look a lot older?

(For the record I'm a HUGE Benny Hill fan!)
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

I remember that old guy from Benny Hill! Thanks for nothing, now I can't un-see it :lol:

Note the green veins in the forehead. Who knew Joker was a Vulcan?
"Or worse. Let's go..."
rajung

Post by rajung »

I like it for the detail, always been a fan of especially full size bust's as in a kit form.
This could be the Joker in assisted living facility getting one more last crime committed.
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

It's hideous and terrifying and the level of detail is amazing. Mr. Baker is obviously a master of his craft. He's captured the Joker's insanity beautifully here. The look in his eyes says it all.

There have been so many interpretations of the Joker, from the comics to the animated cartoons to all of the actors who have played the role and put their own spin on it, that I can't nail down any one Joker as being more or less valid than the others, personally. Baker's take is unique while still hinting back at some of the previous versions of the character. It gives off vibes of Mark Hamill's Joker from the Arkham video games to me (which I love) and I feel like there might be a little bit of Jack Nicholson in those arched eyebrows, too. Or maybe it's the hairline? ;)
- Boy Genius
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

That could be the Green Goblin...or is it Red now?
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

I think there's both, but you're right; with a quick repaint his could work as the Goblin. That one saggy eye even makes it look like a mask. Is that you under there, Norm?
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

I still say it. Just remove the glasses and green the hair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEVYsmpcbvk
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"