BATMAN Made in '43 Discovered in '65!

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

AndyFish

BATMAN Made in '43 Discovered in '65!

Post by AndyFish »

In July of 1965 the Playboy Theater in Chicago started daily showings of the original Batman serial chapters over the course of three weeks (15 Chapters fit perfectly into Tuesday through Saturday showings-- the theater was closed Sun and Monday). The attendance was so good that they decided to string all 15 chapters together and show the 4 1/2 hour serial in one sitting that started at Midnight. They sold out the show and more importantly the concession stand and Columbia Pictures took notice and put a package together which then toured art house theaters and college towns in the Fall of '65.

AN EVENING WITH BATMAN AND ROBIN played in several big cities including New York, Boston and Los Angeles. It's often misreported that the Playboy showings inspired the Adam West TV series although there is some evidence that there was inspiration there. The comics of the period weren't cliffhangers from issue to issue, although sometimes they had cliffhangers between ad pages, but the serials obviously did. A few of the serial traps were used in the show-- the room closing with the spikes is straight out of Chapter 14 of Columbia's first Batman serial.

Bringing Batman to TV had been in the works since the early 60s. Originally the plan was to do a straight action show in the vein of the Lone Ranger and former football star Mike Henry was slated to play Batman. He ended up going on to play Tarzan and eventually the project ended up on Bill Dozier's desk where he and Lorenzo Semple came up with the style and format that eventually made it to the air.

Once the show was on the air, the Columbia serials continued to play around the country;

Which added to the myth that it was connected to the show.

It's unclear whether or not they did the same thing with the much sillier '49 Batman serial although I suspect they did. Republic tried their hand at it too, releasing a similar full serial release of ADVENTURES OF CAPTAIN MARVEL which wasn't as successful (it might be because while Batman was funny seen through the progressive eyes of the 60s making the 40s fashion camp, Captain Marvel was actually a pretty well made serial that held up-- giving it fewer unintentional laughs).
maniac cop 5

Re: BATMAN Made in '43 Discovered in '65!

Post by maniac cop 5 »

Well Andy, I guess there's not too many of us 43 Bat fans out there.
He's always been my favorite and I'm even half Japanese to boot!
I would have loved to have been sitting in one of those big screen theater audiences back then.
My intro was through my cousin's 8mm silent movies and they were great!
I bought grainy bootleg copies of the serial on VHS back in the late '80's for $100.
Thank goodness for today's DVD's and big screen TV's!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I bought the same grainy VHS copies but I got a steal apparently for $80 a pop.
My sister in law is full Japanese and she thinks its the best version of Batman so we are not alone!
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

Brings back memories of watching the serials when I was about six, although I watched the '49 serials and not the '43 serial, I remember loving them, but I find it funny I haven't had the urge to rewatch them, and see the '43 serial for the first time, until recently. Amazon has the complete '43 and '49 serials for really cheap and I have ordered them!
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
maniac cop 5

Post by maniac cop 5 »

Some like one, some the other. Not many seem to like both. I can watch the 43 over and over but can barely sit through a chapter of the 49.
Either way, enjoy the new adventure!
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

Sorry for replying so late but I loved the '43 serials! I watched them all in one day and plan to rewatch the '49 serials the same way sometime soon. Probably one of the best times I've had watching anything batman!
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

First time I ever saw the ‘43 was a lazy summer day like today. I remember closing the shades and sitting back and watching it.
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Love this poster.
Attachments
31064302_2037272283157550_8878057538134736896_n.jpg
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
maniac cop 5

Post by maniac cop 5 »

Ditto!
What great graphics and action.
I can imagine being a young boy in '43 and just about to explode waiting for each chapter to come to town!
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

Shark fin by Ian McLean, on Flickr

I found *this* in my garage yesterday! It took me a while to work out exactly what it was - but it's the interactive shark fin prop I made when members of Astrex, the Star Trek Club of NSW, were invited to create an audience participation version of the 1966 Adam West/Burt Ward "Batman" theatrical movie by Fox/Columbia's Dale, at Hoyts' Cinema Centre in the Sydney CBD.

We dressed up and did a series of weekly "Rocky Horror Picture Show"-type events for its theatrical revival (from 16th January, 1987)! Each screening was supported by an episode of the "Batman" b/w serial.

As Robin, I ran across the screen with this "fin on a stick" just before the famous "rubber shark scene". We also passed black balloons around the cinema - "Sometimes you just can't get rid of a bomb!" - and, on cue, everyone burst them!
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

I bought both the 1943 and 1949 serials in 1989 (along with the 1966 TV show) on 'unofficial' VHS when I went to my first San Diego Comic Con (because I was so excited for the 1989 movie!). When I got home despite the 10 hour flight I watched both serials immediately, the 1949 one first. it was OK but I really loved the 1943 one-to this day it is my favorite representation of Batman, although Kevin Conroy's Batman is close (if for no other reason than asking Robin if "It's A Wonderful Life" is "relentlessly cheerful" and telling him "I could never get past the title":) And of course the one-shot anime Batman with Lord Death Man was awesome.
He flies and fights-BATMAN!
Purity and virtue-BATMAN!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
Batman and Robin-caped crusaders at night!
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

LDM you and I share the feeling of Lew Wilson being the best live action version of Batman-- have you seen Ninja Batman? Although I only like a small % of your average anime I really liked it.
maniac cop 5

Post by maniac cop 5 »

43 Bat 2.jpg
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

That's great! Even has the correct seam on the cape!
Love it!
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

A friend recently sent me this ad:

Filipino Batman fights Dracula by Ian McLean, on Flickr
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)